lunker

Looking for an AR precision upper

I ditched my Colt carbine because I enjoy shooting my BCM A4 style rifle. Now I am looking for a precision upper. I don't need something milspec since this is just going to be for putting holes (hopefully very closely spaced together) at long distances with a scope. I know White Oak Armament/Precision puts out a nice product. I am trying to keep on a budget as my guns funds are not what they used to be. Are Rock River Varmint Uppers worth looking at? Can people recommend some brands and models to me. I am inclined to only buy the upper for now, and build out the lower as funds come in. But if there is something that is a really good fit that only comes in rifle form, I would be OK with buying it. Also, I have a nice trigger to put in it (Geissele SSA-E), so that doesn't have to be a consideration. I would want it to be 1:7 or 1:8 twist since I have load heavy 223 bullets. 

Build your own. A match grade barrel with an in-spec upper won't let you down. If you really wanted to push the envelope (and budget), use a billet upper as the face of the bore in which the barrel extension is installed is typically truer than forged. Or you can send a forged lower out to be trued. Personally, I've built two precision AR uppers on off the shelf forged upper receivers and have no problem getting sub-MOA groups.

The most accurate AR upper I shot was a LaRue Stealth Upper. Thing was a damned laser beam.

I have seen and shot JimmyARG's LaRue. And you are correct about it being a laser. As much as I like that rifle, LaRue Stealth uppers go for $1200. I am trying to keep it around half that (or less). 

Build your own. A match grade barrel with an in-spec upper won't let you down. If you really wanted to push the envelope (and budget), use a billet upper as the face of the bore in which the barrel extension is installed is typically truer than forged. Or you can send a forged lower out to be trued. Personally, I've built two precision AR uppers on off the shelf forged upper receivers and have no problem getting sub-MOA groups.

That is a good idea. I have never tried putting together an upper. I don't know what it really entails.