Mina1227

Your thoughts on an ar-15 15" quad rail.

I recently assembled this rifle and it is currently my favorite and the one I grab every time I reach in the safe.F2A49BE5-3696-4916-BF69-9915718934DF_zps82544D54-655F-4CCB-B837-22A2CFD42635_zps

Troy 13" Alpha on a 16" barrel.

It's light, smooth, and slim. It points fast and shoots great.

Hey HE, details on that hand stop? Had to mod it to make it fit? Looking for one that mounts directly on the tube without the need of adding a pic rail.

There are dozens of companies that make them. They range in price from $100-$300.

The big concern if this is going on an already built upper is the attachment method and if the tube requires a new proprietary barrel nut or will attach to a standard AR barrel nut.

Midway is having a sale right now on the 13" VTAC tube:

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/3058317644/troy-industries-vtac-alpha-battle-rail-modular-free-float-handguard-ar-15

A rail like the ones posted in the pictures in the previous posts. Not sure exactly but was wondering if there is a specific site for them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You going for quality or just pure looks? O_o Any specific interface system? Tube, quad?

Just remember, it's you AR. In the end, you can do whatever you want to it an dress it up as much as you want as long as you're happy with it.

The opinions and suggestions people give you should be considered though because most come from experience. The running theme we tend to see from people new to AR's is that first they want to dress them up full blown Call of Duty style with all sorts of grips, lights, lasers, etc, etc. then when it comes to using that in real life during training classes (or in some cases LEs at work) all that extra stuff starts coming off and the minimalist AR ends up working best.

I agree. I'm set on looks from the start. I'm not planning on any classes or any use for it except the range. It is very helpful to know that this won't be efficient in other uses. I appreciate the input and the pictures they are extremely useful. Please keep them coming. I'm actually rethinking the quad rail and more about the tube hand guard. I like that look more.

There is a whole thread of AR pictures on this forum.

You really seem to be a bit confused about the function of a handguard, so I'll tell you what I think it is for. The handguard, to my mind, has two primary purposes.

I realize that what follows will probably be ignored right now and thats fine, it will make more sense to you later, hopefully.

First it needs to act as a interface between your left hand and the rifle (assuming you are righty). You shoot with your right hand, but you aim with your left hand. That makes the interface between your left hand and the rifle about a important as it gets, which means that handguard has to be a natural fit between you and your  rifle. It needs to not be too thick or too thin, it needs to be be comfortable to hold, it needs to place your hand in the right place, it needs to not get too hot, etc. If you look at High Exposures rifle you will note that he has a simple tube which then has addition to it to make his hand to gun interface perfect FOR HIM. You need to hold a number of different handguards and learn what works best for you. You won't get it right the first time and thats ok. Just get a handguard that LOOKS like it might fit you best and know you might change your mind later. This is why quad rails suck (crappy to hold onto), this is why forward vertical grip attachments suck (terrible way to aim a gun). This is also why I like longer handguards because the further out you hold your rifle the easiest is to aim.

The second important function of the handguard is to keep any pressure away from the barrel. We call that free floating the barrel. This is why I don't like the drop in replacements that touch the front sight tower but I like the true free floating replacement handguards. The handguard needs to be rigid enough to not bend and touch any part of the barrel, not the gas block, nothing but the barrel nut when any sane amount of force is applied to it laterally or vertically.  This keeps both your aiming hand pressure away from direct contact with the barrel and also allows you to rest the gun on available items to stabilize it without touching the barrel. For this second reason I like again longer handguards, within reason. I like 13" on 16" barrel, and 15" on longer barrels. This lets you rest the gun on stuff further away from you, side supports, etc. You will note that makes it an aiming aid again, or at least something that doesn't hurt the aiming.

Those two are the big ones, everything else is secondary. It would be good if there was a way to attach a light and a sling mount so top rails are good to have. Modular attachments are good to have. Light weight is good. But all of these pale in comparison with the first 2. Looks shouldn't matter, but they do.

There is a whole thread of AR pictures on this forum.

You really seem to be a bit confused about the function of a handguard, so I'll tell you what I think it is for. The handguard, to my mind, has two primary purposes.

I realize that what follows will probably be ignored right now and thats fine, it will make more sense to you later, hopefully.

First it needs to act as a interface between your left hand and the rifle (assuming you are righty). You shoot with your right hand, but you aim with your left hand. That makes the interface between your left hand and the rifle about a important as it gets, which means that handguard has to be a natural fit between you and your rifle. It needs to not be too thick or too thin, it needs to be be comfortable to hold, it needs to place your hand in the right place, it needs to not get too hot, etc. If you look at High Exposures rifle you will note that he has a simple tube which then has addition to it to make his hand to gun interface perfect FOR HIM. You need to hold a number of different handguards and learn what works best for you. You won't get it right the first time and thats ok. Just get a handguard that LOOKS like it might fit you best and know you might change your mind later. This is why quad rails suck (crappy to hold onto), this is why forward vertical grip attachments suck (terrible way to aim a gun). This is also why I like longer handguards because the further out you hold your rifle the easiest is to aim.

The second important function of the handguard is to keep any pressure away from the barrel. We call that free floating the barrel. This is why I don't like the drop in replacements that touch the front sight tower but I like the true free floating replacement handguards. The handguard needs to be rigid enough to not bend and touch any part of the barrel, not the gas block, nothing but the barrel nut when any sane amount of force is applied to it laterally or vertically. This keeps both your aiming hand pressure away from direct contact with the barrel and also allows you to rest the gun on available items to stabilize it without touching the barrel. For this second reason I like again longer handguards, within reason. I like 13" on 16" barrel, and 15" on longer barrels. This lets you rest the gun on stuff further away from you, side supports, etc. You will note that makes it an aiming aid again, or at least something that doesn't hurt the aiming.

Those two are the big ones, everything else is secondary. It would be good if there was a way to attach a light and a sling mount so top rails are good to have. Modular attachments are good to have. Light weight is good. But all of these pale in comparison with the first 2. Looks shouldn't matter, but they do.

This is very helpful actually. I never thought of any of that. Good thing I didn't purchase anything yet. Thanks!!!

Screw the 15inch, get a 17 inch and FTW!
AP custom makes a 17 inch carbon fiber hg and so does JP .
Seriously though, I like a longer handguard with a narrower profile. Fits my hand better, more comfortable. Plus I'm not a fan of the quad rails either. See a ton of full ninja rifles with way too much crap on them everyday. Most of the owners don't even know why they have it on other than it "looks" cool. I would consider a hand stop before a VFG, and the Noveske K9 barricade support as the only items to mount on the HG.

http://jprifles.com/buy.php?item=JPHG3-7M

http://apcustomusa.com/product-category/handguards/ultra-light-series-handguards/

Gents, I'm thinking about purchasing a complete lower receiver (since this is my first rifle) and build the upper receiver myself (that way I can customize it the way I like). Can anyone recommend a good brand for the complete lower recover?

I checked with bullet hole yesterday and the guy can order one for me.

Seriously, forget about looks. Who do you hope to impress? I assure chicks don't dig it, generally speaking.

Do some research on building lowers and uppers because you seem to have a lot of misconceptions.

Better yet, forget about look, buy a rifle off the shelf and learn how it works, then worry about changing it.

When you assemble the upper you're going to need some heavier tools, e.g. barrel nut wrench. Also if you're installing a comp you'll need to permanently attach it somehow which will require welding or soldering.

The lower is all pins and springs so it's fiddly but technically less difficult.

When you assemble the upper you're going to need some heavier tools, e.g. barrel nut wrench. Also if you're installing a comp you'll need to permanently attach it somehow which will require welding or soldering.

The lower is all pins and springs so it's fiddly but technically less difficult.

In the videos I just watched there was no welding or soldering though

In the videos I just watched there was no welding or soldering though

If, and I mean IF, you are going to attach a muzzle brake or compensator it must be permanently attached. If you're going with a plain muzzle, don't worry about it.

Bravo Company has ~2500 separate SKU numbers for complete uppers that they sell. If you can't find what you are looking for with your "specific" look I don't know what to tell you.

This is perfect. Thank you very much!!!!