The .380 AUTO Sa vz. 61 Scorpion is the semi-automatic version of the original 7.65mm Browning caliber Scorpion."

Hmmmm

A semi-automatic pistol that has an ability to accept a detachable magazine and has at least two of the following:

(1) An ammunition magazine that attaches to the pistol outside of the pistol grip;

(2) A threaded barrel capable of accepting a barrel extender, flash suppressor, forward handgrip, or silencer;

(3) A shroud that is attached to, or partially or completely encircles the barrel and that permits the shooter to hold the firearm with the non-trigger hand without being burned;

(4) Manufactured weight of 50 ounces or more when the pistol is unloaded; and/or

(5) A semi-automatic version of an automatic firearm

But so is a Glock 17 a semi-auto version of the Glock 18.

Hmmmm

But so is a Glock 17 a semi-auto version of the Glock 18.

The same could be said about the Glock 17 (minus the sear) it's the same as a Glock 18...

So if Glock 17 is a semi-automatic version of the Glock 18 and it's legal (and sold in NJ)...the VZ61 should be legal too, right?

I'm looking at a VZ61 pistol, weight is under 50 ounces/no threaded barrel/10 round mags.

Anyone have one or know of any in NJ? Anything I'm missing or good to go?

https://www.czechpoint-usa.com/vz-61-scorpion--380-auto-

Not legal with the 20 round mags it comes with, would have to be made complaint. The rest of the gun I'm not sure. What's the weight of it? Under. 50oz?

***nevermind I just read more and answered all those questions****

The only hang up i see is the "semi version of a full auto" snafu...

Call State police SBI. Ask for something in writing, that says it's good to go.

Please don't send any letters to the ATF! Lol...

Poor little VZ61. They had to make it in .380?  9MM would have been better. The dealer would have to block the mags or ship without them. Unless

the mags are common to another gun, they might be hard to find in a 15 or 10 rd version.

Unless you are really in love with this pistol, I would look elsewhere due to the underpowered .380 and the Magazine issue!

I just had a thought! Bit of a risk but when Gov. Christy leaves office we will either have CCW or be looking at 10 or 5 round limits for magazines. I could quit my job, study "magazine reclassification techniques"

and open up shop here in jersey and make a mint keeping my fellow citizens out of prison while allowing them to keep all of their guns! 

The above rant is due to the fact that I am getting "pre-pissed" just thinking about how much money it would cost me if that happened!!!!

Poor little VZ61. They had to make it in .380?  9MM would have been better. 

If it was in 9mm I would go tot he earths end to secure one :D

380 puts it down the list.

Also looking at the MPA mini 9mm MAC which is supposed to be NJ legal. PK90 any info on MPA's mini 9mm MAC clone?

They did make the vz68 in 9mm parabellum but I beleive those to be less common.

Id love to be able to add a scorpion to the collection, but I may be jaded from years of goldeneye64

I've shot a full auto one but with '86 ban and NJ requirements...a semi clone is as close as I will ever get.

Poor little VZ61. They had to make it in .380?  9MM would have been better. The dealer would have to block the mags or ship without them. Unless

the mags are common to another gun, they might be hard to find in a 15 or 10 rd version.

Unless you are really in love with this pistol, I would look elsewhere due to the underpowered .380 and the Magazine issue!

I just had a thought! Bit of a risk but when Gov. Christy leaves office we will either have CCW or be looking at 10 or 5 round limits for magazines. I could quit my job, study "magazine reclassification techniques"

and open up shop here in jersey and make a mint keeping my fellow citizens out of prison while allowing them to keep all of their guns! 

The above rant is due to the fact that I am getting "pre-pissed" just thinking about how much money it would cost me if that happened!!!!

I had this horrific boating accident and lost a half dozen AR lowers, tons of mags, ammo and parts....a political figure (who I will not name) caused that poor little boat to sink :p

Forget that, I want the original in .32 ACP and full auto!

Probably never have one though.

Get a 07/02 FFL...build a post-86 sample...no "law letter" required....it's for research and development purpose....sell it off to another 07 or a PD when you drop the FFL license....ALL LEGAL even in PRNJ :D

Or find another FFL that's going out of business and buy a pre-86 dealer sample from them, no "law letter" required under those circumstances.

Or get a 08 with class 1 tax stamp and import a nice post-86 sample for research and development....

Gotta love Gov. Thug loopholes :D

Not legal with the 20 round mags it comes with, would have to be made complaint. The rest of the gun I'm not sure. What's the weight of it? Under. 50oz? ***nevermind I just read more and answered all those questions**** The only hang up i see is the "semi version of a full auto" snafu... Call State police SBI. Ask for something in writing, that says it's good to go. Please don't send any letters to the ATF! Lol...

ATF knows these VZ61's have been on the market for some time, sure someone could give it a happy switch but the same could be said about AK's, AR's and HK clones.

NJSP...might call them from a pay phone in Camden or Newark and keep the call under 30 seconds lol

Get a 07/02 FFL...build a post-86 sample...no "law letter" required....it's for research and development purpose....sell it off to another 07 or a PD when you drop the FFL license....ALL LEGAL even in PRNJ :D

Are you trying to be a funny guy? That's the only alternative "Probably never have one though." There haven't been any transferrables spotted.

Why haven't you done it?

Are you trying to be a funny guy? That's the only alternative "Probably never have one though." There haven't been any transferrables spotted.

Why haven't you done it?

My town will not allow FFL's to be run from a residence...even with vault, security cameras, approved alarm, insurance, no signage and minimal foot traffic it's a no go...someone in town did obtain one but I'm not buying city officials overpriced lunches, so I'm taking that into consideration when looking at property for sale.

I know a very close family friend in PA who has a dealer sample VZ61 but he will torch cut it before he sells it :(

Buy with that 07/02 and some decent shop equipment I would have no problem building a post sample....but nowhere to shoot it in NJ! can't think of any NJ ranges that allow FA off hand.

RTSP

I'm guessing they are FFL's or LEO's (with FA's issued by dept) right?

Not many private citizens in NJ own FA weapons, I can think of 2 or 3 within 30 miles of me but they are deceased and that was in the 80's and 90's. They were retired LEO's or had a judge in the family not everyday people like me.

Damn it I want that NJ MG permit so bad! Someone if FL offered to will me a registered M2 carbine but getting the NJ permit is next to impossible.

Wonder how hard it really is? anyone on NJGF own a pre-86 transferable MG in NJ???

Here's all that's needed to do to get a MG in NJ. Super easy to apply, takes just $75. Oh but good luck with the rest. :p

Unless you're on the "privileged people's" entitled to exercise all of your rights in NJ list , no way.

Any person who desires to purchase, possess and carry a machine gun or assault firearm in this State may apply for a license to do so by filing in the Superior Court in the county in which he resides, or conducts his business if a nonresident, a written application setting forth in detail his reasons for desiring such a license.  The Superior Court shall refer the application to the county prosecutor for investigation and recommendation.  A copy of the prosecutor's report, together with a copy of the notice of the hearing on the application, shall be served upon the superintendent and the chief police officer of every municipality in which the applicant intends to carry the machine gun or assault firearm, unless, for good cause shown, the court orders notice to be given wholly or in part by publication.

b.   No license shall be issued to any person who would not qualify for a permit to carry a handgun under section 2C:58-4, and no license shall be issued unless the court finds that the public safety and welfare so require. Any person aggrieved by the decision of the court in granting or denying an application, including the applicant, the prosecutor, or any law enforcement officer entitled to notice under subsection a. who appeared in opposition to the application, may appeal said decision in accordance with law and the rules governing the courts of this State.

:bye: But only as an FFL/SOT.

What kind of select-fire hardware goodness did you have? :D

And if you don't mind me asking...how hard was it to open up in Hammonton? I think you lived on the same property as the detached shop building so was that dual (residential/commercial)?

Here's all that's needed to do to get a MG in NJ. Super easy to apply, takes just $75. Oh but good luck with the rest. :p

Unless you're on the "privileged people's" entitled to exercise all of your rights in NJ list , no way.

Soooooo........it's a fast $75 for the State of NJ :p