Bushmaster1313

What happens if currently owned black rifles are reclassified as NJ assault weapons

Yes, many of the "assault weapons" during the 1990 ban ended up in neighboring States. With rifles/shotguns no FFL is needed to move them out of State for storage but finding someone willing to store them (and not burn you, ie sell them!) is the tricky part.

Not sure how it would go with handguns...

i got someone i can trust. :D

I've got a feeling this whole "storing at a friends Pa house" is a little iffy... wouldnt the friend be considered in possession of the weapons? Is there some point of legal reference saying it is ok? 

Have the friend draft a rental agreement and get it notarized...you could take it a step further and get some utilities in your name (phone, cable, power, etc.).

Or...

Box them up and have UPS pickup the package, ship to an FFL and have the person in PA complete the 4473 and become the legal owner this way you are no longer tied to those firearms and can provide proof they were disposed of.

shows that they ARE registered. i'm shocked no one's noticed this.

Yep

Big ass letters: "PERMIT TO PURCHASE A HANDGUN & FORM OF REGISTER"

And: "WITHIN 5 DAYS AFTER DATE OF TRANSACTION, THE SELLER IS REQUIRED TO PROVIDE A COPY OF THE PERMIT TO THE FOLLOWING: WHITE COPY - NJSP, YELLOW COPY - ISSUING PD"

Yes, many of the "assault weapons" during the 1990 ban ended up in neighboring States. With rifles/shotguns no FFL is needed to move them out of State for storage but finding someone willing to store them (and not burn you, ie sell them!) is the tricky part.

Not sure how it would go with handguns...

100% bullshit.

Giving any firearm to someone who is a resident of another state is a violation of federal law. Long gun or handgun matters not.

Please don't get our members thrown in jail.

Is it possible for you to possess firearms in another state? Yes, as long as someone else does not possess them. Could be your apartment, a locker, or a safe in their house that they do not have access to. It shouldn't be surprising that I suggest you seek legal advice on the last option.

And rifle or handgun matters not for out of state firearms you possess as well. If they are yours, and you possess them, it doesn't matter what state they are in. And obviously, NJ has nothing to say about it even if you are an NJ citizen.

All transfers of any firearm (by federal definition) between residents of different states requires an FFL unless somebody died.

100% bullshit.

Giving any firearm to someone who is a resident of another state is a violation of federal law. Long gun or handgun matters not.

Is it possible for you to possess firearms in another state? Yes, as long as someone else does not possess them. Could be your apartment, a locker, or a safe in their house that they do not have access to. It shouldn't be surprising that I suggest you seek legal advice on the last option.

And rifle or handgun matters not for out of state firearms you possess as well. If they are yours, and you possess them, it doesn't matter what state they are in. And obviously, NJ has nothing to say about it even if you are an NJ citizen.

All transfers of any firearm (by federal definition) between residents of different states requires an FFL unless somebody died.

You are right, IANAL but how would the State or Feds know? I wrote in my other post that I do not condone/recommend breaking the law...but, if no registry for rifles/shotguns exists HOW would they (State/Feds) know?

Edit: And if his friend has a FPID it is legal..

If you want to store firearms at a friend's house in PA then buy a cheap ass stack-on safe and don't give him the combo.

this was already the plan. the person in question has already told me they'd either do the room rental thing, or just let me put a small safe in their spare room. they have no interest in them, although they have recently asked me to take them shooting.......

this was already the plan. the person in question has already told me they'd either do the room rental thing, or just let me put a small safe in their spare room. they have no interest in them, although they have recently asked me to take them shooting.......

Just rent a storage unit over the border, takes your friend out of the equation completely. And totally aleviates any legal concerns. One of the small closet type most facilities have, they're cheap, secure, indoor units are climate controlled. Best part is no one knows you have it but you....

Just rent a storage unit over the border, takes your friend out of the equation completely. And totally aleviates any legal concerns. One of the small closet type most facilities have, they're cheap, secure, indoor units are climate controlled. Best part is no one knows you have it but you....

Make sure nothing in the rental agreement prohibits firearms, some rental places are anal about this.

And with a storage unit you need to stay on top of the payment. If a card on file expires and you miss a notice from the storage place, you could lose everything there in a short time.

What about an out of state commercial firearms storage outfit? I know that's an on the record move, but it seems to me like it would be as legal as putting a safe in a buddies PA house. It's not a transfer. Seems no different than handing it to an out of state gunsmith. Other than the cost.

I'll look one up.

Saw a poll on a Storage Business forum asking do you allow firearm storage.

Yes, we advertise firearm storage 4.00%

Yes, we allow it 56.00%

Yes, we disallow it in our lease but it is not enforced 12.00%

No, we disallow it 28.00%

Only 25 respondents.

http://www.selfstoragetalk.com/day-day-management/5927-do-you-allow-guns.html

i've never liked or trusted those storage places. a guy i used to work for back in the 90's had spare shop equipment stored at one........and a lot of that shit vanished. i prefer the idea of renting a room with a friend, and keep them in a cabinet locked in that room

100% bullshit.

So my dad, a NJ resident, passes away and wills me (A PA resident) his guns or simply has me listed as POA, I can simply remove them from his house without going through an FFL, etc?

you know all of our pistols here are registered, right? unless they were brought in with you when you moved here that is.

I know Handguns are registered in NJ---However,FYI,I don't live in NJ BTW. Also, I believe ANY---ANY time a NICS, PICS or CC purchase or whatever is done, you're flagged. They know.  I believe the progressives WANT a registration so they can set up a "legal" system or precedence for confiscation. If it's set up, it could be used as a reason for "lawful" search and seizure.

i've never liked or trusted those storage places. a guy i used to work for back in the 90's had spare shop equipment stored at one........and a lot of that shit vanished. i prefer the idea of renting a room with a friend, and keep them in a cabinet locked in that room

Agree.  The units are easy to break into for someone that wants to get into a unit. If they have cameras, that might make it harder, but some of these places don't pay attention to the cameras. Come back a couple months after the previous visit and your guns are gone.  The manager will probably just shrug.

Interesting option but I wouldn't do it.

I know Handguns are registered in NJ---However,FYI,I don't live in NJ BTW. Also, I believe ANY---ANY time a NICS, PICS or CC purchase or whatever is done, you're flagged. They know.  I believe the progressives WANT a registration so they can set up a "legal" system or precedence for confiscation. If it's set up, it could be used as a reason for "lawful" search and seizure.

from my understanding, there is no information on the nics form, other than long gun or pistol. no make/model or serial number. as far as they know it's just checking to see if you can purchase a firearm, not a definite purchase. perhaps one of our resident ffl's can confirm this?

that said......in a way, they are registered too, as there's all the paperwork at the ffl's which i guess that the spd can go through any time they wish.

So my dad, a NJ resident, passes away and wills me (A PA resident) his guns or simply has me listed as POA, I can simply remove them from his house without going through an FFL, etc?

https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/18/922

(a) It shall be unlawful—

(3) for any person, other than a licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, licensed dealer, or licensed collector to transport into or receive in the State where he resides (or if the person is a corporation or other business entity, the State where it maintains a place of business) any firearm purchased or otherwise obtained by such person outside that State, except that this paragraph

(A) shall not preclude any person who lawfully acquires a firearm by bequest or intestate succession in a State other than his State of residence from transporting the firearm into or receiving it in that State, if it is lawful for such person to purchase or possess such firearm in that State,

(B) shall not apply to the transportation or receipt of a firearm obtained in conformity with subsection (b)(3) of this section, and © shall not apply to the transportation of any firearm acquired in any State prior to the effective date of this chapter;

from my understanding, there is no information on the nics form, other than long gun or pistol. no make/model or serial number. as far as they know it's just checking to see if you can purchase a firearm, not a definite purchase. perhaps one of our resident ffl's can confirm this?

that said......in a way, they are registered too, as there's all the paperwork at the ffl's which i guess that the spd can go through any time they wish.

Don't forget P2P exemptions, the NJSP Lt. that received my exemption paperwork had access to model/make/cal/serial I'm sure they keep a copy of those forms.

Agree. The units are easy to break into for someone that wants to get into a unit. If they have cameras, that might make it harder, but some of these places don't pay attention to the cameras. Come back a couple months after the previous visit and your guns are gone. The manager will probably just shrug.

Interesting option but I wouldn't do it.

Right because your friends house in PA can't be burglarized, and I'm sure you know who's in his house at all times from NJ... The indoor places are pretty secure, only people with access to the building are other renters and staff. Most have security cameras. It's a matter of picking the correct place to do business with.

Worrying about not making a monthly payment is something a disorganized person would do. If your worried about that, you're already in trouble and probably miss payments on other bills too.

At least it isn't as bad as Arizona, California, New Mexico and Texas where buying two or more AR's requires the FFL to report the sale to ATF...

Is that per transaction? By day? Monthly etc....

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Is that per transaction? By day? Monthly etc....

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Multiple Sales Reporting For Certain Rifles Reporting

(Public domain information from a government site)

https://www.atf.gov/publications/factsheets/factsheet-multiple-sales-reporting.html

The Gun Control Act (GCA) of 1968 requires federal firearms licensees (FFLs) to report multiple sales of handguns to the same purchaser [18 U.S.C. § 923(g)(3)]. The sale of two or more handguns must be reported if they occur at the same time, or within five business days of each other.

In August 2011, the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF) was authorized by the Office of Management and Budget (OMB) to initiate similar reporting requirements on the multiple sales related to certain rifles for a period of three years.

Multiple Sales For Certain Rifles requires all federal firearms licensees in Arizona, California, New Mexico, and Texas to submit reports of multiple sales or other dispositions to an unlicensed individual of two or more rifles within five consecutive business days having the following characteristics: (1) semiautomatic; (2) a caliber greater than .22 (including .223/5.56 mm); and (3) the ability to accept detachable magazines.

ATF has long used multiple sales information to detect, investigate, and prevent firearms trafficking. ATF views the recovery of one or more firearms used in crimes that were part of a multiple purchase as an indicator of firearms trafficking, particularly if one of the firearms was recovered a short time after the multiple sale occurred (known as a short time–to–crime).

For more information about ATF go to www.atf.gov.