Sign in to follow this  
Albanian

Renewing Pistol Purchase Permit question.

So last week I got two P2Ps and picked up one pistol. I want to use the 2nd near the end of summer but I will be in Europe when it hits 90 days. Can I renew it in August after the 90 days or do I have to renew it the day it expires?

So last week I got two P2Ps and picked up one pistol. I want to use the 2nd near the end of summer but I will be in Europe when it hits 90 days. Can I renew it in August after the 90 days or do I have to renew it the day it expires?

You have to renew it before it expires. I would go to the PD and explain that you'll be away and see if they'll extend it early for you.

Or just buy another pistol before you leave.

It depends. Unless the law changed, some PD's extend them before they expires, others do it after. The only way to know for sure is go ask them.

Also, they are not required to extend them. It is done solely on their discretion.

Technically, a HG permit cannot be extended after the initial expiration date, it must be done before.

That being said there are some local PD'd that do it after, even though the NJSP view it as an expired

permit - that is a whole nother story!

Best thing is to call the Admin office at your local PD an explain you will be away, and ask if you can

drop off the permit before you leave. as long as it gets renewed & signed you can pick it up when every

you return for your trip - it will be good for  approx another 90 days.

As a reminder - no matter what date the permit is renewed it is only good until the 180th after the initial

approval date!

Thanks guys. I'll give a call. It's Clark and she said they'll renew it when she gave it to me, then I realized I'll be in Albania when it expires, I'll call and ask if they can renew early or after. If early it'll have to be like 3 weeks early lol