High Exposure

9 Yanks and a Jerk

My friend's uncle just authored a book called "9 Yanks and a Jerk" about a B24 shot down over Belgium in WWII. It is a pretty interesting read.

For any of you WWII aviation buffs you can find it on Amazon:

Nine Yanks and a Jerk: The incredible saga of one of the most legendary planes in the U.S... https://www.amazon.com/dp/1517360072/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_xiuswbR2HT2MY

He was also interviewed by Eric Shawn on FOX tonight:

http://fiostrending.verizon.com/news/read/video/article/fox_news-eric_shawn_reports_the_greatest_generation_again-foxnews

I hope those guys are right. Anyone following the recent insanity on college campuses has to wonder, however, if enough brave young men exist today. Or if we have enough leaders who recognize the necessity of an all-out war.

Half the guys in my father's college (Stevens) freshman class, which he entered at 16, were military. Most were probably headed to the front as cannon-fodder 2nd Lieutenants. Dad didn't finish school, and the war ended before he could be called up. But young men from the top colleges leapfrogged over each other on the enlistment line. It was considered a dishonor not to go. I'm not so sure about that today.

One not-so-minor gripe. I realize the Air Force was part of the, er, Army? until the late 1940s, but I absolutely hate to see someone who never served wear the uniform. Had the author stated a disclaimer at the beginning I'd only be half annoyed at him. I never served either. The closest I got was Jr. ROTC. I would never wear a military uniform in public. I would never even wear my JROTC uniform, which I still have, even if I could lose 50 lbs.

The Author served in the USAF as a pilot.

Scott followed in his father’s footsteps and enlisted in the United States Air Force after graduating from high school. After completing his Air Force Basic Training at Lackland Air Force Base in San Antonio, Texas, he served with the Military Airlift Command (MAC) division, where he served in ground support squadrons with the 438th Field Maintenance Squadron and in the 438th Transportation Squadron, both at McGuire Air Force Base in New Jersey. Scott also was able to fly on various missions during his service in the largest aircraft in the world at the time, the C-5 Galaxy transport plane. He also flew in the C-141 Starlifter transport repeatedly. While on active duty, he attended college in his off-duty hours and was able to accumulate college credits. After receiving an Honorable Discharge from his military service, Scott used his veteran’s benefits and completed his college studies in the educational field, having earned two B.A. degrees with honors