Sign in to follow this  
NYMetsFan86

Loose gas line and sketchy venting behind washer and dryer

So my wife and I live in a small co-op in the Tinton Falls/Eatontown area. We have a stackable washer and dryer. The washer crapped out so we bought a new one, which came with free delivery and install. Well it all ended before the lines could be disconnected. The guys doing the install pulled the stack out and called me over.

They informed me that whoever installed the unites half assed the venitlation and furthermore the gas line wobbles back and forth. The dryer vent hose was crappily duct taped to the unit and wasn't even connected to the dryer. So he did not want to disconnect the gas hose, all he did was turn the line off and made it clear to me that the line needs to be checked under the crawlspace. 

He mentioned there is a possibility that the dryer could have been emitting CO by not venting out of the house and because of the vent being disconnected the lint built up immensely. he said there was also a risk of fire. 

Since i live in a Coop, I have to now find out if this is there responsibility or mine. Of course, nobody is in the office and nobody is responding to the emergency line. Thank god I am moving out of this place and into a house by fall. 

Has anyone ever had experiences like this? has this been a liability I was unaware of the whole time i've lived here? Any input is greatly appreciated.

This will most likely be your responsibility. Usually coop, condo, townhouse, apartment, etc etc dwellings the dryer vents need mandatory cleaning every 2 years(thats what it was in my condo when I lived in one, and again, your or the landlord's responsibility)...how long have you lived there? Did they not see this during the routine cleanings? 

I spent a few yrs doing apt/condo maint/renovations and believe its on you. I never liked the idea of duct tape there as it dries out and falls apart over time, prefer a hose/spring clamp or short selftap scres where relevent. clean out well and try to hit it with a vacume. For the gas line just install a block of wood on the floor/wall and secure it with a clamp if its blackpipe, copper should have a soft gasket lining the clamp.And do try to secure it from the crawlspace if possible. Oh, another mistake I've seen is crossong the water supply hoses, saw a few of those too.