T Bill

Sports Authority to Close Nationwide

One opened in flemington last year, I went there once looking for a net for crabbing. They did not have any fishing equipment. I told the kid working there to start looking for a new job because the store won't last long...... I guess I was right

Speaking of liquidation sales...I'd love to pick up a safe or something at a fraction of the price (something I might not normally spring for).

But it reminds me of my college job at Kmart years ago.  Back then, you had a tag machine (a price gun, they called it) to set the price and print out the sticker to apply to every product you put on the shelves.  Along with that was a giant binder with the retail and cost for every item.  So for example, the package of wiper blades I'm stocking on the shelf was $2 cost and $4 retail, so thunk thunk at $4.  It was always a straight double, except in Camera and Jewelry where the markup was more like 4 times.

So then Kmart closes the store years later and advertises a liquidation sale - 30% off everything!!!    People were jamming the aisles for these great deals, the place looked like a mob of zombies came crashing through.  I figured they could have used the NYC shop model and just have a permanent liquidation sale.

I used to get great deals on 9mm back when they sold ammo at the one on 22 in Springfield. Personally i cant believe anyone still sells ammo in this stupid state. I was just there last week, that store was well kept and they had lots of great staff.

Amazon is definitely killing the local stores just like Home depot had managed to kill just about all of the great local hardware stores.

Went to one in SC once and was disappointed.

Academy Sports opened two within about ten mile of each which I don't understand either. One is big the other bigger. You could easily spend a million dollars just browsing, just about any gun, archery or bullets you want. They even sell primers.

I have not been to a Sports Authority for quite a number of years.

My sense is that the growing trend is for many gun owners, like myself, is to go online to the many various retailers who sell ammo for my handguns and rifle and purchase what I want from them and have it shipped to my home.  Very straight forward and easy.  Of course I need to email them a pdf file copy of my NJ FID card, but that I have no problem with that.  From my research, the prices I can get from online vendors is as good, if not better than many NJ retailers and do not have to pay NJ sales tax.

The exception to this for me is when I want to purchase shotgun shells.  I find that the best prices for what I want for sporting clays is at WalMart, specifically down in North Carolina where I do not need to show any ID to purchase what I want and can stock up.

Alas, I think we are going to continue to see a reduction and consolidation of big-box retailers that sell ammo, in the face of the migration to online retailers due to the ease of ordering, as well as the very tangible savings of both cost and time.

(I think that an excellent example is that of Amazon Prime is the crack cocaine for today's American consumer.....)

AVB-AMG