mikeyjones

Several 1911 Questions

Have a few questions for the 1911 gurus out there.  

I have a SA Loaded chambered in 45.  I'd like to get a 40 SW slide built for it to play in Single Stack.  Currently looking at some of the Caspian offerings.

Here are my questions:

1) If I have the 40 slide built and fitted to my frame, can I swap them back and forth or is the ejector different?

2) Does anything else in the frame have to be modified to fit the 40 barrel/slide?

3) Who are some of the better 1911 pistol smiths in the area?  I'm fairly certain I don't want to just take it to a LGS.  

4) If I have to ship, can it be returned to my house or must it go through FFL? Never had to send a gun back for repair.

Side note, from my research it would seem that I would have to load the 40 rather long to get reliable feeding, which isn't an issue.  Just want to understand why that is.

Thanks in advance.

Alchemy Customs

Evolution Armory

Busniess End Customs

Greg Derr

Jim Garthwaite

Pretty much in that order for me.  I've used Alchemy and spoken with Lou, Greg, and Jim a time or two.  

Good luck.

When you say Play in single stack. I assume you mean USPSA?

If so, what would be the point of converting to .40? 

I mostly see .45 for major and 9mm for minor.

I'm just curious what you feel you would gain?

One gun that you can shoot in major and minor depending on the stages. You get ten rounds if you shoot minor but only eight in major. Just need to bring two different loads and maybe a different recoil spring if your picky about that kind of thing. 

When you say Play in single stack. I assume you mean USPSA?

If so, what would be the point of converting to .40? 

I mostly see .45 for major and 9mm for minor.

I'm just curious what you feel you would gain?

I prefer the recoil of 40 over 45, especially in a 1911.  All else equal.

MJ, you probably won't be saving that much money having a pro Smith making and fitting a whole new top end. Might be better off just getting another gun. Also this time of year those guys are usually jammed with everyones last minute builds and such. 

MJ, you probably won't be saving that much money having a pro Smith making and fitting a whole new top end. Might be better off just getting another gun. Also this time of year those guys are usually jammed with everyones last minute builds and such. 

The other part of the equation is that I don't get the warm and fuzzies from how my SA feels.  I figured w/ a professionally fitted top end, I would like it a bit more.

One gun that you can shoot in major and minor depending on the stages. You get ten rounds if you shoot minor but only eight in major. Just need to bring two different loads and maybe a different recoil spring if your picky about that kind of thing. 

OK, didn't think about bringing 2 different loads and deciding what to shoot after seeing the stages.

I prefer the recoil of 40 over 45, especially in a 1911.  All else equal.

I see. Just goes to show that everyone's preference is different. I prefer the .45 in a 1911. If I want softer, I just grab the 9mm 1911.

What don't you like about it. Changing the top end isn't gonna do much for how it feels, only thing different would be about another ounce of weight. 

Different grips, trigger, mag release, safety, magwell, that kind of stuff would make it feel different. 

There was a couple different .40's on Enos recently for good deals, not sure if they are still there or not. 

What don't you like about it. Changing the top end isn't gonna do much for how it feels, only thing different would be about another ounce of weight. 

Different grips, trigger, mag release, safety, magwell, that kind of stuff would make it feel different. 

There was a couple different .40's on Enos recently for good deals, not sure if they are still there or not. 

In my mind it doesn't feel as tight as some other 1911's I've handled.  Plus I've been itching to do something along these lines for a while now.

Cant switch loads during a match, either all major or minor.

http://www.gansguns.com/

Try gans, many on enos have sent him a box of parts and 2-3 weeks later you receive a finished product. everyone comments on his cost, quality, and turnaround time. Plus he is in PA. Search his name on enos for pics. If you know who raz-o is in real life, he has a Gans Gun.

I just took a look on Enos classifieds --

I don't know what a good deal is in this type gun but there sure are some pricey ones...

If you don't want to break the bank, consider a Armscour/RIA 1911. They are very inexpensive, and run. Caleb at http://www.gunnuts.net/ has been doing some testing on 1911's in 9mm and the RIA has done extremely well. Was considering getting their 2011

Cant switch loads during a match, either all major or minor.

Obviously.

If you show up early and help build you can look at the stages and figure out what you want to shoot before you sign up. 

Obviously.

If you show up early and help build you can look at the stages and figure out what you want to shoot before you sign up. 

honestly just show up knowing what you are going to shoot,  don't let the stages dictate what you are shooting.