Sign in to follow this  
Mrs. Peel

Newest U.S. Navy Technology... Sharing Article

Nice. They've been experimenting on them for awhile now.

We need a hand held model. But seriously, thats a lot of money. Ships have to be retrofitted not only for the gun, but power source. Should be interesting.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

They just have to keep the rails from eating themselves after a few shots.

The math is interesting too. The thing is so fast it's going to to have a very shallow arc (like a tank). To get the range it has to shoot ballistic (like artillery or mortars)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice. They've been experimenting on them for awhile now.

We need a hand held model. But seriously, thats a lot of money. Ships have to be retrofitted not only for the gun, but power source. Should be interesting.

Experimenting with it?  They blew Devastator off a pyramid with it in Transformers:  Revenge of the Fallen.  So that means it's real and it exists.  Geez where've you guys been?

Go forward to 1:06 dos that look experimental to you?

Experimenting with it? They blew Devastator off a pyramid with it in Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen. So that means it's real and it exists. Geez where've you guys been?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GUusHbKEji4

Go forward to 1:06 dos that look experimental to you?

Lol,

Well, till it becomes available to the military as standard equipment, its really still experimental. They start outfitting ships, mobile units, etc on a bigger scale, then.

Lol,

Well, till it becomes available to the military as standard equipment, its really still experimental. They start outfitting ships, mobile units, etc on a bigger scale, then.

Just messing around but you already knew that.

• Like 1

Just messing around but you already knew that.

Yep, but I really do want a handheld one. Possibly in a 1911 format. :)

Lol,

Getting close

In February 2015, the Navy revealed they had begun engineering studies to include an electromagnetic railgun on Lyndon B. Johnson. The Zumwalt class has been identified as more suited to use emerging technologies, like railguns, due to its superior electricity generation capability over previous destroyers and cruisers at 80 megawatts; Lyndon B. Johnson specifically was being studied because it is the latest of the class, while the previous two ships would be less likely to initially field the capability due to the testing schedule. The railgun would likely replace one of the two Advanced Gun Systems.[12] By March 2016, construction had become too far along to install the railgun during building, but it can still be added later.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1