panteramatt

Looking for Pet suggestions

My wifes birthday is coming up and the only thing I can come up with to get her is another pet. She LOVES animals of all kinds and we have a large dog and 2 turtles that are extremely spoiled. So I was thinking of getting an "alternative" animal. Not a dog, or cat, or gerbil. She wants a pig and a goat but Im not starting a damn farm here. I was thinking of a chinchilla or hedgehog because their cool and easy but she wants something playful and maybe take on walks. Thought of a ferret but they always stink. Looked at a small monkey even. Any suggestions?

Im gonna build a coupe but we plan on moving so itll have to wait. Plus Im sure she would want something a little more playful and cuddly than a chicken. PLUS, we actually have a pack of foxes living under our shed right now. I honestly want to take the kits so bad but I know it not right. I have videos of them playing, its pretty awesome. 

Goats actually make good pets, and they will keep your yard mowed too!

We raise them as a business on my ranch in Texas, but they are meat goats.

If I were to have one as a pet, it would be a fainting goat.

Thats exactly what Im reading up on right now. My only issues with ferrets are: They stink, and they like to bite, at least thats what ive noticed by some of my friends that have had them. But they are very playful and we can brig them camping with us which is a big plus. 

Ok so this is a thread where I can really go off on. I've been in and out of the exotic/unusual pet world for over 20 years. Mostly reptiles for me personally but I have allot of experience with other animals too. First primates are illegal to own in NJ unless your a zoo. The big 5 are illegal, venomous reptiles, bears, primates, big cats, and the.last one.slips my mind at the moment. Anyway my recommendations would be opossum, raccoon, skunk (desented), sugar gliders, red squirrel, wallaby, kinkajou, and a coatimundi. Most of them require a hobby "wildlife species possession permit" but it is easily obtained and it's inexpensive if I remember correctly

My buddy had a wallaby and it was really a cool pet but their big and you need to have a very large fenced in yard. Sugar gliders would be too small and they are mean. My family had a raccoon and possum as a pet and they were great but their hard to find. I trapped 3 raccoons from my work this year as they were gonna kill them but they were already too old to raise so I released them around my property where they could be free and roam. Wheres a good spot to look at "alternative" animals? Also I dont wanna spend too much on one thats why Im considering a ferret. 

It would also have to be large enough not to loose when we take it on camping trips and to my cabin. Just walked outside to see the baby foxes playing. Actually got close to them. Would love to keep one or all of them but Im against taking wild animals out of their element. 

Sugar gliders are small and no good for camping but are definitely friendly. Wild caught ones are llegal now. There is a good breeder in Bloomsburg pa area for the raccoons opossums and skunks. Wild caught ones are illegal in NJ. I'll find the contact info and post it

Lol, my sugar gliders used to run around my apartment at night while my girlfriend (now wife) and I sat and watched TV and ate dinner. One would come and drink iced tea from cup. Just got a get hand raised ones and have to have several of them, they are a community animal.

So the breeder I have experience with is keystoneexotics.com, a few friends have bought animals from them. When I Googled them the next one that came up it is buggysrock.com and they are USDA licensed so they are probably not bad either.

Honestly I don't really like ferrets as pets and yes they are extremely prone to cancer as well as several other ailments. Inbreeding is a bitch.

That really sucks because they meet all my requisites. Want something not too small, not too normal, and playful. She wants a sloth too but I told her they were the most boring animal in the world. 

I'd seriously recommend a opossum. Super friendly, calm, casy to take care of and could be put in a harness and leash while camping.

Also I left out rats......they make good pets too but are also super prone to cancer and a little on the small side for camping

Opossums or raccoons (when not getting into troubel) would be a little better for cuddling than a skunk. While desented there is still a slight oder just like ferrets. Although I think their stink is much better than ferret stink lol.

They just like to play with everything so if your house guest has a shiny pair of glasses the raccoon might climb him or her to take the glasses. Just stupid stuff like that nothing major. Think of them as a puppy with hands.

They just like to play with everything so if your house guest has a shiny pair of glasses the raccoon might climb him or her to take the glasses. Just stupid stuff like that nothing major. Think of them as a puppy with hands.

And thats EXACTLY what I want! Any other places I can search for them? Are these raccoons domesticated? My family has tried to raise a few babies from the wild but only one didnt turn into a zombie, haha

Personally when my daughter gets a little older I'll be getting a raccoon but I've also got the space to put a large outdoor cage for them to play in during the day so they don't destroy the house while we're not home. They can and will get into everything including your refrigerator if left unattended.