jackandjill

Help - 2006 Odyssey - No heat unless moving

1 hour ago, jackandjill said:

I am hoping someone here has insight into these things. 2006 Odyssey with weird situation.  Cold air blows through vents and all, but no heat. But here is the kicker. 
Air gets hot within 5 minutes of vehicle moving on the road.  If I pull the vehicle to the side or vehicle slows down, the hot air becomes cold.

Any insights into whats happening ? Appreciate it. 

46 minutes ago, jackandjill said:

Thanks both. What is the medium that carries "heat" generally. Is it the water or coolant ? Sorry for silly questions. 

ok. try this. rev the engine to 2000rpm while you're sitting in park. only for a minute or two. do you get heat now? if so, you've got only 3 possibilities really. 1) bad water pump. 2) partially clogged heater core. 3) low coolant.

plugged heater cores aren't that common on the honda products. depending on mileage, you've most likely got a failing water pump.  to check for clogged core, after you've done that engine reving thing.....locate the heater core hoses. they're about the diameter of a quarter and go into the firewall. usually slightly off center favoring the passenger side of the vehicle. carefully grab them. they should both be too hot for you to hold onto for more than a couple seconds. they also should feel about equally hot. if one's way too hot to hold, the other isn't....then plugged core. if they're even temp, then core's fine. if they're both relatively cool, then you're looking at a water pump. i just had a failed water pump on a ford last week. i'll take a pic and post it.

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, jackandjill said:

How does water come into picture that @Malsua mentioned ?

the coolant is circulated into the core through a hose. 1 hose in, one out....just like a radiator. the core is in the heater box. when you turn on the blower and turn up the temp, the air is directed across the core, thus allowing the core to shed its heat to the air, and then it's blown out the vents.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Scorpio64 said:

antifreeze/coolant runs through the radiator the engine and the heater core if heat is turned on.  It is prevented from moving through the circuit by a thermostat, that is actually a heat activated valve, when the engine is cold.  There is also a reservoir that holds "extra" coolant.  That is where you can check the coolant level by eyeballing it.  When the coolant heats up it expands and some of it may bleed off into the reservoir, that's normal.

the stat does nothing to prevent coolant from entering the core. in fact, all systems have a bypass built in to force coolant into the core well before the stat opens, thus getting heat quicker.

• Like 1

i forgot to address the flow control valve. honda is one of the few that still use these. it's generally cable or electronically controlled. if it fails, it generally fails in place. if electronic, it won't move at all. if cable, what generally happens is that the flapper inside the valve breaks off of the stem. where ever it was when the lever broke is where it'll stay. if it's partially closed, revving the engine won't change anything. you won't have good heat at all. if it's stuck full open, you'll have constant flow through the core, but you'll still be able to mitigate that somewhat, because when you change temp selection to cold, it closes vent doors that direct most air away from the core.

On 12/5/2017 at 9:47 AM, Scorpio64 said:

jack and jill went up the hill to fetch a pail of antifreeze.  So, what's the verdict, did you figure out what the problem is?

Jack&Jill reporting to duty, Sir.

The coolant is GONE within 24 hours. Unfortunately I didnt check frequently to know if its gone over night or during day.  Driveway being wet from the rain, didnt provide much clue. 

Took to "professional dealer" this morning and ponied up 140+ for diagnostics. While they were checking, I was going through some stuff and guess what I find ?  A multi-point inspection report from last oil change at dealer. Lo and behold, the report said "radiator leaking".....What the F.... 

The second inspection comes back and says the same thing - "radiator leaking". And $1100 estimate to replace radiator. 

So after $144 out of pocket to tell me the same thing I ignored to read first time around. They also came back with laundry list of items that total to about $6700. The van is probably worth $3000.

I ordered replacement radiator and some tools for a DIY project. I am going to be busy for a while. 

Note: Thank you everyone for jumping on this one with urgency. And I know that I am idiot for not reading the report :-(

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, jackandjill said:

So after $144 out of pocket to tell me the same thing I ignored to read first time around, I ordered replacement radiator for a DIY project. 

Note: Thank you everyone for jumping on this one with urgency.

:imsohappy:

2 hours ago, jackandjill said:

Jack&Jill reporting to duty, Sir.

The coolant is GONE within 24 hours. Unfortunately I didnt check frequently to know if its gone over night or during day.  Driveway being wet from the rain, didnt provide much clue. 

Took to "professional dealer" this morning and ponied up 140+ for diagnostics. While they were checking, I was going through some stuff and guess what I find ?  A multi-point inspection report from last oil change at dealer. Lo and behold, the report said "radiator leaking".....What the F.... 

The second inspection comes back and says the same thing - "radiator leaking". And $1100 estimate to replace radiator. 

So after $144 out of pocket to tell me the same thing I ignored to read first time around. They also came back with laundry list of items that total to about $6700. The van is probably worth $3000.

I ordered replacement radiator and some tools for a DIY project. I am going to be busy for a while. 

Note: Thank you everyone for jumping on this one with urgency. And I know that I am idiot for not reading the report :-(

WTF? are they fucking insane?? 1100 bucks for a fucking radiator???? i'd be rich a half dozen times over if i ripped customers off that badly.

Just now, 1LtCAP said:

WTF? are they fucking insane?? 1100 bucks for a fucking radiator???? i'd be rich a half dozen times over if i ripped customers off that badly.

Yep, $1100. Radiator at Honda parts cost is like $450. I am sure hoses are $100 each and then labor. 

I ordered radiator from RockAuto for $100 including shipping. Good time to buy some tools and still end up on top. 

While I understand that dealers have to make money for the infrastructure, salaries, insurance etc, these guys want $110+ for air filters. Thats on sale, regular is like $170+.  Its like they don't want customers. 

Interestingly, they charge $30 for oil / filter change, multi-point inspection with full report that I usually read and fix things myself. Except this time around, I failed to read it :-(. 

9 minutes ago, jackandjill said:

Yep, $1100. Radiator at Honda parts cost is like $450. I am sure hoses are $100 each and then labor. 

I ordered radiator from RockAuto for $100 including shipping. Good time to buy some tools and still end up on top. 

While I understand that dealers have to make money for the infrastructure, salaries, insurance etc, these guys want $110+ for air filters. Thats on sale, regular is like $170+.  Its like they don't want customers. 

Interestingly, they charge $30 for oil / filter change, multi-point inspection with full report that I usually read and fix things myself. Except this time around, I failed to read it :-(. 

they charge that cheap for oil changes to get under your car to find all the other work. that they wanna ass-rape ya for.

• Like 4

On 12/6/2017 at 3:25 PM, jackandjill said:

If you need help doing it.   Im free after the 25th.  I have all the shop tools you need to do it.  Just come by and we'll get it done.   The offers out there.  Shouldn't take more than a few hours.  

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Golf battery said:

If you need help doing it.   Im free after the 25th.  I have all the shop tools you need to do it.  Just come by and we'll get it done.   The offers out there.  Shouldn't take more than a few hours.  

Thanks GB. Appreciate it. I am going to give it a shot this weekend and see how it goes.