Howard

Save $1,000 or more, but you need to act by year end

Christie signing Executive Order today so that everyone in any location in the state can prepay their Q1 and Q2 property taxes this year:

http://www.nj.com/politics/index.ssf/2017/12/you_may_soon_be_able_to_prepay_your_2018_tax_bill.html#incart_river_home

It’s ironic that the fed passed a tax reduction that only negatively affected a few states. Typical Joisey pols, “ let’s not fix our issues, let’s try and cheat”. It’s still not 100% the fed is going to take these prepayments....

1 hour ago, Zeke said:

It’s ironic that the fed passed a tax reduction that only negatively affected a few states. Typical Joisey pols, “ let’s not fix our issues, let’s try and cheat”. It’s still not 100% the fed is going to take these prepayments....

Well it would be kind of hard for the Fed to not take them.  Prior to the law it was allowed.  The law changed that as it applies to State and local taxes, but made no mention of property tax.  While that may sound trivial, such a correction would likely now require 60 votes in the Senate to accomplish.  It is much more likely that hell will freeze over than for 9 Democrats to help the Republicans fix a mess they will say they created on their own.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Howard said:

Well it would be kind of hard for the Fed to not take them.  Prior to the law it was allowed.  The law changed that as it applies to State and local taxes, but made no mention of property tax.  While that may sound trivial, such a correction would likely now require 60 votes in the Senate to accomplish.  It is much more likely that hell will freeze over than for 9 Democrats to help the Republicans fix a mess they will say they created on their own.

I think you’re missing my point. NJ is the highest taxed state in the union. The lead on 2 nd place is absurd. Maybe “ they, them,” should fix this mess here.

as an aside, I’m 99 I’m gonna benefit from the new tax law

2 minutes ago, Zeke said:

I think you’re missing my point. NJ is the highest taxed state in the union. The lead on 2 nd place is absurd. Maybe “ they, them,” should fix this mess here.

as an aside, I’m 99 I’m gonna benefit from the new tax law

I was responding to the part where you said "It’s still not 100% the fed is going to take these prepayments...."

• Like 1

Read my lips.   IRS just put out official statement.   You can prepay property taxes if they’ve already been assessed. 

Please people don’t overthink this.   “Well what does assessed mean?”   “Welll my town is always adjusting theirs”.   Dude just take the latest bill you have from them that shows any of 2018 taxes on them and write the check for that amount.  Drop it off and you’re done.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Barms said:

Read my lips.   IRS just put out official statement.   You can prepay property taxes if they’ve already been assessed. 

Please people don’t overthink this.   “Well what does assessed mean?”   “Welll my town is always adjusting theirs”.   Dude just take the latest bill you have from them that shows any of 2018 taxes on them and write the check for that amount.  Drop it off and you’re done.  

There you go! You can only prepay the amount (usually near half) that was billed on your last tax bill ie. Q1 due 2/18 and Q2 due 5/18

https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/irs-advisory-prepaid-real-property-taxes-may-be-deductible-in-2017-if-assessed-and-paid-in-2017