Sign in to follow this  
tbtrout

Who has done this?

I was shooting this morning. I have been firing my wifes 1911 that I had built for her. I have been testing it the last few times out and have neglected to clean/oil it purposely so I could see what it would take. It is a very tight gun. So, I let it run itself dry and after about 400 rds it was getting a little slower. Well today it finally was so crudded up it would not feed anymore. I went to release the slide and it did not want to move.After I removed the loaded mag, I used my left hand to push it forward and it went all right. Took a chunk of meat right out of my hand in the ejection port on the barrel hood.

The RSO was on the ball and had a bandage and peroxide asap. No stitches, just a little piece of meat lost and some blood.

ouch....

Guns giving you blood eh? Now your wife can complain when you say your time, sweat, blood and money went into the gun. =P

Hope you are ok though.

Every time I clean my guns, I wear latex gloves... just used to it. the barrells on the 22's are very tight, and when trying to push the cleaning rod down the barrel, when putting more power, my hand rides down and hits the top of the barrel giving me large scrapes, cuts.

Well I was stapling targets up on the range and put the staple through into my finger. Talk about feeling stupid.

My Worst gun related injury not involving a discharge happened in the Army. I had just cleaned an M85 50cal Machine gun and was stowing it in the oddments tray in the back of the turret, my hands covered with solvent. The gun got hung up so I hit it with the palm of my hand and caught an open cotter pin and cut my hand badly. The only thing I had to cover the wound was the solvent soaked cleaning rag. Oh did it burn. I popped out of the tank and ran my Sgt. No medics were around so I had a 20 mile ride to the main post hospital. It took 4 stitches to close and right back to the field I went.

TC

This was by far the dumbest thing I can remember doing with a gun

I do remember one time we were doing a 20 mi hump and an 0331 was carrying Ma Duece. He had the reciever strapped to the top of his pack and tripped over a rock. Momentum took over and the reciever pushed his head right into the deck.

I think we could get 100% participation on the question of who has had their thumb eaten by the slide of a semi-auto pistol when gripped improperly. I know I have the scars. When my wife first started using my XD45 compact, I forgot to warn her. She bled all over my gun that day. I sometimes wonder if I subconsciously neglected to warn her as sort of an initiation since everyone has done this at one time or another. She did continue to shoot that day and even bought her own XD. What a trooper!!

how about a rimfire thumb? =P

When I picked up my S&W 22a, after 100 rounds, every other round would be a stove pipe or a failure to fire. My thumb and index finger would hurt for 2 days, following going shooting. Luckily, after 1.2k rounds, it loosened up and knock on wood, no issues.

I "saved" a Mark19 from being dropped on the floor by reacting by putting my foot in between it and the floor when it was dropped. Evidently a banged up foot made more sense than having to explain a new ding on it to the arms room :roll:

I immediately change my mind about it being a good idea when it hit. That would be the stupidest thing I have ever done with a firearm.

Have yet to take a chunk of flesh out of myself from one of my own guns though....knock on wood...

I "saved" a Mark19 from being dropped on the floor by reacting by putting my foot in between it and the floor when it was dropped. Evidently a banged up foot made more sense than having to explain a new ding on it to the arms room :roll:

I immediately change my mind about it being a good idea when it hit. That would be the stupidest thing I have ever done with a firearm.

Have yet to take a chunk of flesh out of myself from one of my own guns though....knock on wood...

Damn I thought the 50 Cal was bad. A Mark 19 OUCH! I did get hit in the head with a 105mm tank round while we were loading ammo into my M60. That may account for me voting Democrat once or twice while I was in college. :lol:

TC

didn't break or lose anything, but I was on crutches for a while. Those bastards even made me crutch around Grafenwoehr in the mud! I'm glad to know that I can still fire an M16 while on crutches just fine though. My unit came out victorious in that training exercise. Must have been me using one of my crutches as a rest that gave me sniper like accuracy that won it for us :lol:

I blew out my knee during a tug of war between units. My Platoon was due out on the Border OP, I was in the border Cav 11th ACR. I was on crutches as well but the only one on the crew with a European Military DL so I had to drive the Sheridan out to the OP with my crutches strapped to the outside of the turret. Then while out there I had to pull roving guard on crutches. The Army sure can be a heartless b*tch.

TC