Sign in to follow this  
NJ-Tom

Try before you buy

Many times in forums people ask questions about a handgun or rifle before making a purchase, one of the usual replies is to touch and get the feel for the gun but holding the gun sometimes is not enough. Sunset Hill Shooting Range may be an answer for those that want to fire a specific weapon or compare a few. This facility has handguns, rifles and shotguns you can try, they charge a fee for x shots. Additionally you can shoot some of the weapons we can not own in New Jersey. Be prepared it's not eactly cheap.

http://sunsethill.slvrcreek.com/home.htm

I think a better bet is Ready Aim Fire in Bristol PA. MY wife and I paid an inital fee and then tryed a whole host of guns. Ammo was $20 a box and we were there for a good 3 hrs shooting with no other fees or anyone rushing us. There was no RSO when we got there but, about an hr into it there was one there. Also paper targets are free at no limmit.

Ready Aim fire is good in PA. I say support local if you can. Both ShoreShot and Brick Armory rent. Brick Armory has a good emount of Glocks, one in every caliber I believe, 1911 Wilson combat, a few 22lr such as Walther P22 and Ruger Mark 3?

Shore Shot has even more.

If anyone is ever at the range, more than glad to let you shoot mine. But yes. the theme is... you would not buy a car without driving it... with a firearm... have to at the bare minimum dry fire it in hand, and best would be to fire it.

case in point... I was look at the S&W M&P 9c... at the bullet hole they had a demo day... shot the gun, and decided it was not for me.

at brick armory... I knew I didnt like glocks... but rented a glock in a 45 and a 9mm to confirm that I REALLY do not like the way glocks fit in hand.

At the same time... I love the way CZ's/EAA/Baby eagles fit, and XD's.

Buyings guns because they look nice or you read on thenet... is what creates safe queens.

From my experiences if you are admiring someone elses gun at the range, they will let you shoot it. I know I am more than happy to show off my guns and allow others to shoot. I have been lucky enough for shooters to do that for me and I just try to pass it along.

Ready Aim fire is good in PA. I say support local if you can. Both ShoreShot and Brick Armory rent. Brick Armory has a good emount of Glocks, one in every caliber I believe, 1911 Wilson combat, a few 22lr such as Walther P22 and Ruger Mark 3?

Shore Shot has even more.

If anyone is ever at the range, more than glad to let you shoot mine. But yes. the theme is... you would not buy a car without driving it... with a firearm... have to at the bare minimum dry fire it in hand, and best would be to fire it.

case in point... I was look at the S&W M&P 9c... at the bullet hole they had a demo day... shot the gun, and decided it was not for me.

at brick armory... I knew I didnt like glocks... but rented a glock in a 45 and a 9mm to confirm that I REALLY do not like the way glocks fit in hand.

At the same time... I love the way CZ's/EAA/Baby eagles fit, and XD's.

Buyings guns because they look nice or you read on thenet... is what creates safe queens.

I just took the IDPA Safety Officer course with John Plum at Ready Aim Fire. He's a good guy. As for the safe queens, SELL THEM!