kenw

Newbie from Newton

Hi all,

I'm Ken, and just found this site from a link sent from Hand Gun Forum. It's nice to see a NJ specific shooters board, and I hope to participate here regularly.

My wife and I are sort of new to NJ shooting, but not to guns. Her Dad was a competitive shooter, NRA instructor and 2A advocate in Florida, and whenever we visited, we spent some (a lot of) "family time" at the ranges down there. We didn't really think about owning weapons up here until Nov. 4, when two things became obvious:

1. There's a real possibility that the zombies are coming

2. If we don't commit to our rights now, we may not have the chance in the future.

Also, her Dad passed away at about the same time, and we consider this a small memorial to him.

We got our permits, got our first handguns, and joined the range at Cherry Ridge. We're having a good time, and everyone we meet in the NJ shooting community are like minded, standup Americans. No whackos yet.

We're fortunate to have friends who are LEOs, and they pointed us in the right direction as to our first purchases. One even came with us to Ray's to walk us through the sale. Lynn wound up with a Walther P22 (which she loves) and I felt very comfortable with a S&W M&P 40. Our LE friend said his dept. just switched to the M&P and their range scores went up 30 points average. I'd eventually like to shoot as well as that gun can. Right now, it's a better shooter then I am.

Our second round of permit apps is in the works, and we're looking at some flavor of 9mm for both of us. She's ready to step up, and I really like the Berettas and CZ pistols. Still doing research, and all opinions are welcome.

Enough rambling. Like I said, I hope to become a regular participant here, and in the shooting community as well.

Ken

Thanks to all for the welcome.

and very nice photoshop skills.

Thanks. In a past life I owned a commercial photography studio, and PS is just part of the skillset. I don't have the studio anymore, but I still like to dabble.

I'm right down the road from you in Lafayette and also a member at Cherry Ridge.

Cool. We try to get to the range every couple of weeks or so, depending on ammo availability. It would be nice to get to know more people there, or even to have a shooting buddy (besides Lynn). Maybe we can get together sometime. We're planning on being there tomorrow (Saturday). Let me know.

Ken

Can't make it tomorrow; fishing contest at Lafayette pond in the am, and my daughters softball game in afternoon. Getting together is a definite must let me know the next time you go. Also for Lynn check into Womens day at the range she'll be able to fire high power rifle (AR15), 38 & 9mm pistol, and 20gauge for trap. It's free!

[email protected] for more information.

Thanks for the welcome.

but rifles are my thing.

Reach out and touch someone.

I'm still in handgun mode, but I've been thinking a bit about a nice rifle. I'm not really into the AR/AK types yet. Too much to know. Too tacti-cool for my taste. Insanely expensive for what you're getting. But you never know. I occasionally lust after some flavor of Remington 700 or something like it in .223, but I haven't moved forward on it yet.

I have a very old Remington single shot .22LR that was my dad's and bring that to the range with me. Things gotta be 50 or 60 years old, beat to death, but I like the slower shooting style with the long gun. I spend a little time with it after the handgun range. Sort of a post-workout cooldown period. And it's a lot of fun on the silo range at Cherry Ridge.

I'm all for meeting new people. I'm only available to get to the range on weekends, but yeah, I'm ready for range buddies. Shooting should be a social event. Once the NJGF shirts/hats/patches (subtle hint) are out and about, it'll be much easier see who's who wherever we happen to congregate.

Ken