Sign in to follow this  
Maksim

Some IDPA questions.

From all that I have read, you can have a max of 10rds per magazine, but would one be ok with a 9+1?

Is a 9mm adviseable vs a 45?

How many rounds of ammo would one need for a typical match?

3 mags required or 2 will do?

How many bullets you have depends on the gun, Three mags it really advisable. And which are you more accurate with the .45 or the 9mm. You have to have you gun charged to capacity so if it is a 10+1 your first mag has one round to charge your gun, then you put a fill mag in the gun, then you have one for reload.

I think I shot 60 rds at one match, because we only had a few people show up and we did an extra round.

50rds is good, but bring another 50 in the car just in case.

I have never heard of the 10rd mag cap rule. It that NJ only? Usually in the scene it is dictated what needs to be done... such as 6rds into two target ---> move ---> mag change ---> 4 rds into two more targets. I dont think I ever emptied a 15rd mag from cap to emtpy at a match. But... and this is a big but... I never shot IPSC or IDPA outside.

Where you going and when?

The IDPA divides automatic handguns into 3 divisions. The caliber, the action of the firearm and shooter choice determine the division in which a shooter competes. The division determines magazinee capacity, but none exceed 10 rounds in the magazine and one round in the chamber.

All Auto's have to fit within an IDPA box and have the lid close. No compensaters or ported barrels. No oversize mag wells, No weighted magazines, No add on weights like heavy guide rods.

Stock Service pistol must be 9mm or larger, double action, double action only or safe action. Max unloaded weight 39oz. Magazine is not to be loaded past 10 rrounds.

Enhanced Service Pistol is anything that qualifies as a Stock Service Pistol, must be 9mm or larger, max unloaded weight of 43 Oz. Mag not to be loaded past 10 rounds.

Custom Defence Pistol, must be 45 cal, Max unloaded weight of 41oz, Division Capacity 8 rounds in the magazine.

My XD45 can hold 13 rounds in the magazines. I usually shoot in CDP and load the mags with 8 rounds, but I can also shoot in ESP and load to 10 rounds. Since the XD is single action it does not qualify for SSP. A 45 Glock can be all 3. A 1911 45 is only CDP.

This is an attempt to ensure people are competing based on skill and not on equipment.

Club level shoots usually require around 50 rounds, some more, some less. I try to keep my shoots around 50 minimum, but shooters are allowed make up shots, unless otherwise specified. I usuallly bring 150 rounds with me so I have enough to shoot twice if time allows.

You need 3 magazines. 1 in the gun and 2 in a double magazine pouch. You can bring another with you for the purpose of topping off the gun. I load 7 to division capacity myself.

The second Saturday in June I am running a home defence IDPA shoot at the South Jersey Shooting Club in Winslow Twp. Come out and check it out for yourself.

Ron

You can bring any handgun or gear you own. Even if the gun/equipment you bring doesn't meet IDPA standards you caan still use it for your first shoot. Any of the RO's will be available to answer questions and explain why or why not things meet IDPA rules.

1911's are fine and fall into the Custom Defence Pistol division, (provided it is a 45 cal 1911.)

I look foreword to seeing some of you there. I'm the 6'7" tall guy;

Ron