45Doll

1 Woman vs. 3 Armed Suspects Caught On Video

I'll leave it at my original point: Shooting a perp in the back once they are outside of your house and fleeing is normally not going to be a legal shoot. Worst case the bullet hits her neighbor in their house. I doubt anyone would instruct anyone to do this.

This is not an instructional video. This is real life. She could have done things differently with the same result. I gather from this and other posts there are some that think you will have time to dial 911, don your body armor, tactics vest with spare ammo, ninja light (designed to startle and confuse your attacker) and of course hearing protection because you don't want to risk damaging your hearing while saving your life.

This woman grabbed her gun and flashlight and it worked out okay.

No one here knows what she saw when she shot at the thug after he went out the door.

• Like 1

I'll leave it at my original point: Shooting a perp in the back once they are outside of your house and fleeing is normally not going to be a legal shoot. Worst case the bullet hits her neighbor in their house. I doubt anyone would instruct anyone to do this.

Gun was still in their hand they could have shot if not her, then someone else outside.

From the video I couldn't see the perp once he was outside her house, how do we know he didn't turn and confront her with his gun?

Once they were running away out out of her house she could have just closed the door, hunkered down in her bedroom, and waited for the police to arrive. Her last 3-4 shots were not needed.

I will have to save my real response for when this hits the 1A lounge. Until then...

I have three scumbags in my house. They now know my address, floorplan, and that I am armed. They are also going to be upset that I just shot at/killed one of their scumbag friends. If I have a choice between having any of these people at large or dead on my lawn, I would shoot them coming or going in the front, back or side. I don't want them out there planning their return visit.

I know the "official" thing to do in these situations is hide and/or comply. But if even a small percentage of these events were met in this fashion, the number of these events would drop. That lady is my hero - she unleashed a hail of bullets. She's the Asian Han Solo

• Like 2

I will have to save my real response for when this hits the 1A lounge. Until then...

I have three scumbags in my house. They now know my address, floorplan, and that I am armed. They are also going to be upset that I just shot at/killed one of their scumbag friends. If I have a choice between having any of these people at large or dead on my lawn, I would shoot them coming or going in the front, back or side. I don't want them out there planning their return visit.

I know the "official" thing to do in these situations is hide and/or comply. But if even a small percentage of these events were met in this fashion, the number of these events would drop. That lady is my hero - she unleashed a hail of bullets. She's the Asian Han Solo

https://youtu.be/raF9wfPxir8

And if they bleed out on the lawn you don't have to spend the rest of the night cleaning the carpet.

• Like 3

In NJ, public perception is the only thing that would have stopped a Prosecutor from charging her with murder. NJ law as it is written does not give her the legal protection she (and any property owner) deserves. 

However, once she was shot at, she made right choice to protect herself by any means possible. Laws can be figured out afterwards. 

Jackandjill please explain. I don't see how she could be charged for murder when she shot someone who kicked down her door and pointed a gun at her in her own home.

c. (1) Notwithstanding the provisions of N.J.S.2C:3-5, N.J.S.2C:3-9, or this section, the use of force or deadly force upon or toward an intruder who is unlawfully in a dwelling is justifiable when the actor reasonably believes that the force is immediately necessary for the purpose of protecting himself or other persons in the dwelling against the use of unlawful force by the intruder on the present oc

Jackandjill please explain. I don't see how she could be charged for murder when she shot someone who kicked down her door and pointed a gun at her in her own home.

Read this book, and then you'll know.

Generally speaking on this event, and not knowing what was going on outside her front door, if she shot someone in the back who is running away she might very well be considered the aggressor at that point in time. Prior to that point in time, and inside the confines of her home, she was certainly the victim.

If I were on her jury, I very probably would not vote to convict. But I might not be on her jury.

• Like 1

Generally speaking on this event, and not knowing what was going on outside her front door, if she shot someone in the back who is running away she might very well be considered the aggressor at that point in time. Prior to that point in time, and inside the confines of her home, she was certainly the victim.

If I were on her jury, I very probably would not vote to convict. But I might not be on her jury.

Better yet take Andrew's course (it includes the book). The one I took covered both PA and NJ law. We were also able to use a video simulator where you have to decide to shoot/no shoot in real time in a variety of scenarios. A great instructor and course.

oh I agree that she should not have fired at them after they left unless they were shooting at her or coming back to finish her off but we don't know what the bad guys did outside her home so I was ignoring that part because I won't make assumptions based on a guess. If I were her I would have still went to that door to see what they were doing as the door was broken and could not be shut so they could have come back at anytime and might have been doing just that untill her last shot.

She did seem a little too relaxed after they ran out, like she assumed they ran away for good. And I thought one ran out the back and two out the front, so if all three decided to come back she could have been in real trouble.

I would expect to keep 'assessing' my environment until police arrived on the scene.

oh I agree that she should not have fired at them after they left unless they were shooting at her or coming back to finish her off but we don't know what the bad guys did outside her home so I was ignoring that part because I won't make assumptions based on a guess. If I were her I would have still went to that door to see what they were doing as the door was broken and could not be shut so they could have come back at anytime and might have been doing just that untill her last shot.

And I was referring to the fact that she fired after them. Imagine a mother putting up pictures of her innocent boy mixed up wrong crowd "just this time" and was gunned down while running away. Atleast thats how the news would read. 

She made the right call though. Brave and to the point. One less perp to pay in the system. 

And I was referring to the fact that she fired after them. Imagine a mother putting up pictures of her innocent boy mixed up wrong crowd "just this time" and was gunned down while running away. Atleast thats how the news would read. 

She made the right call though. Brave and to the point. One less perp to pay in the system. 

or imagine if all three bad guys were firing at her outside and she killed one with her last shot and the other 2 ran off. Still think she would be charged with murder? We should really only be commenting on what we know as fact and not what we guess happened outside the view of the camera

or imagine if all three bad guys were firing at her outside and she killed one with her last shot and the other 2 ran off. Still think she would be charged with murder? We should really only be commenting on what we know as fact and not what we guess happened outside the view of the camera

Sure. And in NJ, such imagination and clarification of facts is often left to courts.  She did what she had to do, none of us are judging really. Neither are we concluding what a NJ prosecutor should do. We are simply hypothesizing what a NJ prosecutor would have done. 

Now for giggles, imagine Newtonian in his tactical gear, with an AR15 shooting those poor robbers. Exact same circumstances. Could a prosecutor perception and decision be different ?  

I am going to go  :peep:

For some reason I imagine his tactical gear as something similar to what George Washington wore in battle. Lol all kidding aside I don't see how a prosecutor would be successful with a murder charge in this set of circumstances regardless of what the legal wepon of choice was. I'm disregarding her last shot because I don't know the whole set of circumstances behind that shot.

If there was no video of the whole break in I guess with a overzealous prosecutor I could see someone getting jammed up maybe? But this one is pretty cut and dry with high quality video proof that she was in fear of her life and needed to use deadly force to save her life.