Sign in to follow this  
wsl

took the firearms class.. and question..

Took the class at SS, and Bob was great. I hadn't shot in 12 years, and mainly always shot rifles. We shot a .22, 9mm and .45acp. I started off terrible lol. Biggest problem i was having was too much pressure with the right hand. I'm ambidextrous, so depending on the activity, my left hand dominates sometimes, and the right in others. Normally, its eating, writing on the left, throwing on the right. Basketball i use both, but mostly shoot with the right.

I had to focus on not putting more pressure with the right hand, and force the left to grip the gun. And by focusing on that, i gradually got much better groups. We each shot 3 times in the group, I shot the .22 first and like i said it being so light, the hand problems made it noticeable. I shot the .45 next and it was better, but noticed the few times my hands instinctly tried to grip it. The 9mm which was also the heaviest, seemed the best out of the 3, as far as my groupings.

I'm not sure if it was the weight of the gun that made it less noticeable, or just my muscle memory started kicking in, but anyone remember how long it took to get over that issue? I'm even debating trying to see if I shoot better lefty. I can't shoot rifles lefty, but curious if my hands want to naturally work the other direction for handguns. I'm gonna end up spending alot of time at the range to work it out and get used to it, but was just curious.

what tony said...

Paralysis by analysis.

Stop putting the p on the pedistal... wait, not sure if it applies here. 8-)

But what distance was this shooting at? Just do it, shoot, esp with a 22lr, you can afford to practice.

Do you currently own any firearms? And what class did you take? Was this the NRA Basic Pistol class?

Just keep shooting and applying the fundementals of marksmanship and you will be fine. Try not to over analyze your shooting, it will make you nuts. When you are not shooting well, stop and take some breaths to relax yourself and then go back to shooting.

Next time I shoot at Brick Armory I will post it and if you want I can help you out a bit.

Slow and steady practice.

lol yeah i know i was thinking too much. Having an instructor in your ear and other's watching you just makes you think more.

Was 7 yards, and yeah i can afford to practice plenty.

Don't own yet, i'm using NJSCD's FIDO, since toms river's process is seriously messed up and can take up to 6 months or more. I can rent at SS until i get it though. It was just SS's basic firearm class, not the NRA. Was only 3 hours, isn't the NRA one 8 or 10? I definitely want to take all the NRA courses, I took this one just to act as a refresher. Was 12 years for me, and close to 41 years for my father who I treated to the class and a membership. I didn't want to get out on the range again until I took a class.

and make sure you have one of our shirts... this way you know the proper way to shoot. =)

what did the 3 hour one cover? Next time you are going to shoot, you can drop by when tbtrout or I am there, more than happy to let you shoot.

The first half the class was basic safety and rules. Went over the different guns, proper procedures, proper grip, etc.. Not too much different than what you can read about anywhere, its just different hearing it face to face. 2nd half was all on the range.

Yup, night and day when I went back last night. Maybe the instructor in your ear just made me focus on everything at once. Was alot smoother. I'm gonna shoot a few boxes today after work, and just keep working at it. 6" groupings at 10 yards need to be tighter! I'm bringing some of the njforums targets today.

Yup, night and day when I went back last night. Maybe the instructor in your ear just made me focus on everything at once. Was alot smoother. I'm gonna shoot a few boxes today after work, and just keep working at it. 6" groupings at 10 yards need to be tighter! I'm bringing some of the njforums targets today.

did you rent or brought your own firearm? Got your fid already right?

I may go down and shoot tonight, depending on the weather. I need to do my brakes but if will start raining, will hold off.

I rented. Toms River has like a 6 month process on their FID's, and I'm going thru NJCSD's FIDO process, so we'll see how long it actually takes. I've got plenty of time now to just try out plenty of handguns and see which ones works best for me. And yeah the rain is definitely coming. The radar looks like it might shoot more north, but can never tell.

no probs. I stopped by SS to check prices of the GSG-5 and shoot a few rounds after work. I'll be in bensalem Saturday and be back on sunday late am/early afternoon, so just let me know what time.

did you rent or brought your own firearm? Got your fid already right?

I may go down and shoot tonight, depending on the weather. I need to do my brakes but if will start raining, will hold off.

Since when does a jewish guy do his own brakes.... :lol::lol: or are you talki'n muzzle brake. :mrgreen: