Gun For Hire in the New York Times this Monday 6/22/2009

Nice,

Manny is tough! LOL

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/06/22/nyregion/22towns.html

When Fear and Fury Drive Gun Sales

By PETER APPLEBOME

Published: June 21, 2009

BELLEVILLE, N.J.

At the Bullet Hole, an Essex County gun store, and at Gun for Hire,across the street, where Anthony Colandro offers courses in firearm use, martial arts and personal safety, it

I little rough yes but he is entitled to exercise his first amendment rights. And as I heard Manny say many times " without the second amendment there would be no first!".

Anthony Gun For Hire

The entire article is passively anti-gun. Having a couple of people say that gun laws should be tougher, and that certain firearms should be banned because they're "terroristic" (my spell checker says that isn't even a word) is bad enough, but having a "responsible" firearms professional go on the record saying that the people are going to go on a shooting spree in D.C. doesn't help the 2A cause even remotely, and paints the active shooting community as a gang of thuggish morons who are likely to resort to the most violent behavior to enforce their rights.

This is the NY Times we're talking about... one of the most liberally biased publications in the country, and the statement that the people are going to shoot Congresspeople is going to to be the single pull quote that makes it's way into the mainstream press. That's not the kind of behavior that the majority of gun owners want to be lumped in with.

I'm as big a 1A and 2A fan as the next guy, but exercising your right to speech regarding guns needs to be tempered with a little common sense, especially when you know the people you're talking to have an international anti-gun audience, and are out to grab your guns ANDyour rights (both 2A and 1A, among others). Just because you have the right to say what's on your mind (at least for now), isn't reason enough to offer the antis even more fuel for their liberal fires.

Just my 0.02. Feel free to disagree. After all, this is America.

K

Ken +1

And that girl that said banning terroristic weapons.... obviously she hasnt shot at an outdoor range, and hasnt attended the AR-15 day. =) Oh well, cant get them all. but that comment about "lining up people" was a little out of taste I think... but hey, this is why we have the freedom of speech, and as long as it doesnt involve me, I am ok.

and as long as it doesnt involve me, I am ok.

Aren't you "the American people"? He didn't say that He would go to D.C. and commit wanton murder, he said

If he starts screwing around with gun laws, I think the American people are going to flip out. And they

and as long as it doesnt involve me, I am ok.

Aren't you "the American people"? He didn't say that He would go to D.C. and commit wanton murder, he said

If he starts screwing around with gun laws, I think the American people are going to flip out. And they

In this day and age, opinions are spread faster than fact. And those opinions are based on perception. To someone who doesn't know Manny personally, that one statement in the paper just made him sound like a loon. I'm sure the people who know him will defend him and give testimonials, and I don't personally feel that way about him, but the damage is already done. Its all about perception, and to the average person picking up the paper today, that's what they are going to think about all gun shop owners. The media will spin it and build on it, and God forbid there's any complaints about the Bullet Hole or Gun for Hire, because as soon as there is, that statement will be used to show a mentality that doesn't reflect well on them. I know Anthony didn't say it, but being in the same article, its guilt by association.

Gun owners and especially shop/range owners and instructors need to be smart about how they present themselves. We're already under enough scrutiny in this state, and comments like these do nothing to help change the laws in NJ in our favor.

I know the comment was an analogy and not a threat, but I've already overheard 2 members here at work (at a golf course), talk about "threatening congressmen". It doesn't matter how anything you say is meant, its how its perceived. Just like Letterman's joke about Palin's Daughter.

You do have the right to say anything and everything you want under the First, but the other side has the right to also use your free speech against you at every available opportunity.