Sign in to follow this  
Chad

Copies of Paperwork

Hey Chad. I always make a copy of the COE and PP after a purchase and store the originals in the safe. I take a copy of whatever I'm taking to the range or traveling with just in case of who knows what. You should be able to get a copy of the PP from your issuing PD with proper ID. The COE is held by the FFL on long guns so they should also be able to give you a copy. They have to keep the copy on-site for State Police inspection. Not withstanding that any of these entities is a POA, you should probably be able to replace a lost one with a copy.

Ok, had a flood several years back, and 90% of them were ruined, the carbon bled and ran all over rendering them unreadable. I'd like to get copies just to have them, like you said, for who knows what...you never know, especially in this day and age.

I'm not saying you shouldn't keep and have your copies available, but are you required to have it available to show a LEO? What if you moved here from out of state and didn't bother to register them? I purchased my revolver while living in another state and brought it with me when I moved back. If I were to get pulled over I wouldn't have a permit to show. Just wondering.

I take a copy of whatever I'm taking to the range or traveling with just in case of who knows what.

I have friends were doing that for years but they stopped a while ago. They said everything is in computer systems now. Not sure if that is the case.

Sometimes I do forget to bring them but remember our wonderful NJ Law in regard to possession of a firearm:

Under N.J.S. 2C:39-5, possession of ALL firearms is prohibited unless one has a NJ permit to carry a handgun or a NJ Firearm Purchaser ID card for long guns. Even if one possesses these licenses, under N.J.S. 2C:39-2b one is presumed not to be licensed until proven otherwise. It is up to the law abiding gun owner to prove later in court that he/she was in lawful possession under an exemption.

Most of us will probably never have a problem but I think I'll make it a point to bring my paperwork especially if I'm doing training with a case full of handguns.

Time to visit the PD and the FFL's Chad. If you want, I can hold on to all those guns for you until you get the copies. Just to be on the safe side of course :lol:

I keep the originals of my pistol permits together... and have a copy with the firearms.

a good idea would be to have scanned copies onto a dvd and stored in your safe deposit box or a safe, or offsite.... just in case.

We kept the file of every applicant for a FID and PP as required by state statute. The jurisdiction of application should have the department copy of every document required to issue the permits including the fingerprint cards and all applications. You can request them from the department. While you would be required to pay a fee i doubt it will be that excessive.

I have the permit and bill of sale of every firearm purchased since the mid 70's. Anytime a firearm is sold I keep the information of the purchaser. It is wise to do so.

I shot competitive handguns for years and ALWAYS had a copy of the PTP with me. The range officer at the club I belonged to once told me, you are going home at 9:30 at night or on a Sunday after a match with a hand gun in your car, and you get stopped and the trooper sees the range box in the car. The record dept of the NJSP only works from 8 to 4 Mon thru Fri so guess where you are going to wait until they get the mess straightened out?