Sign in to follow this  
bbk

Started the collection

And by collection, I mean two guns ;)

Either way, after having done some research with shotguns (and coming within a moment of getting a Mossy), I came to realize that while an AR would be more pricey, I would enjoy an AR over a shottie any day. So, after having done some more homework, and reaching out to the necessary channels, I purchased a SW M&P15 ORC. Thanks again to Paul at AnA and Vinny to getting back to me so promptly.

Fortunately I have classes and work to keep me busy, and as the ORC model is pretty much naked, I'll be making a mini project out of it to get the rifle up to speed. At this point, I'm considering optics options (been looking at http://www.primaryarms.com, pretty decent reviews on AR15.com for very cheap red dots). As noted, going to invest in a cheaper optics set up for the time being, but going to start saving up for a Trijicon ACOG and set of folding sights. Also will be getting my hands on some of those gorgeous looking PMags Paul is selling. Probably going to also get a vert grip (no need for a bipod, I'll save the $100~, and just use my operator pack for supported positions :lol: ).

Will add pics tomorrow when there is some natural light.

[Edited w/ pics]: Optics in the mail.

Congrats! From everything I've read S&W makes some good ARs. Enjoy it, and def pick up a few mags from Paul

i just got the same gun and love it (the mp15)

also..

picked up pmags from paul.. they are really nice...

for optics i have an Aimpoint.. but my rifle came with a BSA red dot with flashlight and laser... they are like $150.. but i am not going to run it.. so if you wanted it id sell it to you pretty cheap ($75?) just throwing that out there.. lol

i swapped out the front handgaurd for Daniel Defense omega rail and its REALLY nice.. VERY light..

Updated with pictures. I'll keep the thread updated as I progress with adding to the rifle.

I was a bit thrown off at first with the weight, and the fact that the model I got has no sights. But the more I tinker with the rifle, and walk around with it, the rifle is starting to feel a lot better. I can't wait to get it up to speed, and to put some rounds downrange. I have to admit that I never had any intentions of getting a pistol with my FID, but instead have been trying to get an AR instead. So, definitely a happy camper here.

I actually just ordered some optics, but thanks for the offer. And yea, once I get the necessities down, the first major upgrade is going to probably be the DD rail.

As for the mags, I have an order form that I just have to fill out and send over to Paul.

I was looking around on AR15.com, and came across Primary Arms. It received pretty solid reviews across the board, and is considered a weapons-grade optic even though its sub-100$. I got the Aimpoint M3 Clone w/ high cant mount (as the guy also sells 3x/5x magnifiers clones that I might invest in eventually). Like I said, a lot of positive reviews, and a good price at only $70. Everyone has been saying this guy ships quickly (already in the mail actually, I should be expecting it Saturday), so, I'll comment on it once I actually get my hands on it.

http://www.primaryarms.com/product.sc?categoryId=5&productId=18

In reading the review/forum posts about them, this guy really seems like he stands behind his product. He personally wires all the optics in such a manner that they are far more shock resistant then other clones. He went even as far as to purposely break the glass on the optic to prove the point that it'll still function and hold zero. He also serializes each scope so that they can be tracked if somebody needs to use the warranty (only a year though). Given, I'm going to still be skeptical until I actually get mine.

Hehe, I feel that any answer to your question, TBT, a Marine, would not prove to suffice. But I think the Army gave me a good amount of trigger time. I'm still waiting for them to implement targets that move side to side for quals instead of pop-up-Joe :lol:

It has been so long since I qualed, I don't know if they changed anything. All we had was a 500 m KD range with positions on 200,300 and 500.

I think you guys had different ranges.

And I have seen a few non Marines that can shoot their butts off. I am not your typical egomaniac Jarhead. I have been humbled on more than one occasion.

Good luck with it.

I never fired, or even saw a real firearm, until BCT. I shot terribly at BCT, but progressively got better through my career. In 2004 when I was going through, quals was: 40 rounds. All fired from a standard foxhole (4x2 rifles). 20 supported, 20 unsupported. Pop up targets from 50-300m. The standard was 26/40, I scored a 27, haha. Not to make excuses, as I was grateful that I wasn't a BOLO, it was raining like all heck that day, and between my BCGs fogging up, and the spray in front of the targets, I couldn't see the 50m or 300m targets.

Later in my career I had to just fire at paper that had the silhouettes on them (shooter at a controlled distance so the targets would appear as they normally would). Quals didn't change much either for the first year or two I was in. But the last two years we were required to qual with IBVs on (prior it was just a kevlar and LBV). Rotation also changed to 20 prone unsupported, 10 prone supported, 10 kneeling. All from iron sights of course. I was able to shoot expert by the time it was all said and done, which I'm proud of (39/40)... and expected really after having used enough of the tax payers money to hone my skills.