Sign in to follow this  
bbk

Regarding DD-214s

Just a quick question about DD-214s. I've been out for a year and a half now, and some of the briefing (albeit all 30 seconds of it at out-processing) has escaped me. I of course have a couple hundred copies of the DD-214 member-4 copy, and still have the member-2 (I think that's the one) sealed in the envelope. My question is: Am I suppose to take the sealed copy to the County Clerks office to be stored? Or is that the only place we can get official copies of the sealed DD-214?

I only ask because I'm trying to re-organize and secure all of my FOUO files (DD214, passport, SS card, Birth Cert, etc), and I know that this somehow involves the county clerk's office, but I forgot to what capacity.

anyone seeking military records information from V.A., and are told such information cannot be verified though records. That happened to me in 1998. Time after time they told me 'nothing' I asked could be verified through records. When I finally got to 'talk' to a live person I found out my records were 'not on file' in other words they did not know where my records were. Not destroyed, not burned, just missing. Earlier they could have told me my records are missing. But, no they kept saying they could not verify the information I wanted. Of course not. no records. Why not tell me that ????

As I've said, when the government screws up they clam up.................

I just asked for records information via computer. Lets see what they have to say in 2009 ???..........

If you loose your DD-214 you can get a copy from the National Personnel Record Center, unfortunally it takes for ever, unless you get somebody for a fee. Get the long copy.

Actually takes about 2 weeks.

I got my first 214 in 1970 and no one has ever asked for anything more than a copy. That includes getting a state and federal job and getting commissioned in the Army Reserve and National Guard.