I am trying to decide if getting a home based FFL would be a worthwhile way of making some side income and helping me get my hands on some NFA items.

In my research I came across this article about how to Get a FFL without a Business License.

has anybody done this?  the more I look into it the more it seems like too much of a headache for the small amount of money I might earn.

That company is giving bad advice and trying to sell a service you don't need.

If you are making money selling or transferring guns you will need to set up a business entity of some sort - which will include collecting and paying sales tax to the state.

Most if not all distributors will not give you an account to buy from them without an EIN and a sales tax certificate.

You will need correct zoning at your house that allows retail sales of firearms or you will need to get a variance to do so. Getting a variance typically involves notifying any property owner within a certain distance of your property (typically 200-250 feet) that you are tying to change the zoning for your property. They (and anyone else) will have a chance to speak at a zoning board meeting as to whether or not they like the idea of you running a gun shop from your house.

Paying the $500 a year SOT to deal in NFA items will only let you deal in AOW firearms in NJ to NJ residents. Since suppressors and SBR/SBS firearms are banned outright in NJ you will not be able to possess them as an "inventory" item. Fullauto business would only be to buyers outside NJ since NJ doesn't give out NJ Machine Gun Licenses.

There is a lot more I could get into, but if you want to get an FFL you are going to need to be all in with it.

-

In addition to the good advice given in the previous post, there was an individual, who was an active member of this forum,  who was attempting to get his FFL a few years right around the time the Fauci Fungus started.  He chronicled his journey, detailing his dealings with the local zoning board, ATF, and the NJSP.

He might be able to give insight from his perspective.

Just a thought.

You have to be nucking futz to open an FFL with out at least a LLC. 

On 7/9/2023 at 10:36 AM, Oakridgefirearms said:

That company is giving bad advice and trying to sell a service you don't need.

If you are making money selling or transferring guns you will need to set up a business entity of some sort - which will include collecting and paying sales tax to the state.

Most if not all distributors will not give you an account to buy from them without an EIN and a sales tax certificate.

You will need correct zoning at your house that allows retail sales of firearms or you will need to get a variance to do so. Getting a variance typically involves notifying any property owner within a certain distance of your property (typically 200-250 feet) that you are tying to change the zoning for your property. They (and anyone else) will have a chance to speak at a zoning board meeting as to whether or not they like the idea of you running a gun shop from your house.

Paying the $500 a year SOT to deal in NFA items will only let you deal in AOW firearms in NJ to NJ residents. Since suppressors and SBR/SBS firearms are banned outright in NJ you will not be able to possess them as an "inventory" item. Fullauto business would only be to buyers outside NJ since NJ doesn't give out NJ Machine Gun Licenses.

There is a lot more I could get into, but if you want to get an FFL you are going to need to be all in with it.

-

I thought there was no regulations on 02 and 03 SOT as an 01 or 07 FFL. You can still sell and bid on state contracts for NFA and sell to LEO and transfer out of state stampable items?

As an 07, you would need a NJ manufacturer license, too. 

55 minutes ago, JackDaWack said:

You have to be nucking futz to open an FFL with out at least a LLC. 

I thought there was no regulations on 02 and 03 SOT as an 01 or 07 FFL. You can still sell and bid on state contracts for NFA and sell to LEO and transfer out of state stampable items?

As an 07, you would need a NJ manufacturer license, too. 

Since I don't have the SOT for NFA I cannot say for sure, but my understanding is that in NJ such a dealer can only deal in suppressors or SBR/SBS items on a special order basis when they are specifically ordered by a LE agency.

From what I recall, one section on the NJ criminal code bans all suppressors without exception and a different section says they are also banned but exempts LE agencies & military. Another example of two NJ laws conflicting with each other...........

A few years back I was at one of the seminars the ATF and NJSP run for dealers every so often. One of the State Troopers was talking about how a suppressor manufacturer had asked them if they were permitted to come to NJ to demonstrate suppressors for LE agencies at a range. It seems the consensus was to hold the demonstration in PA and have interested parties travel there since it wasn't clear whether it was legal to do so in NJ.