19 minutes ago, xXxplosive said:

So what is the best way to carry your LTCF....in your wallet, ID holder and neck chain, separate card carrier, with your driver's license....

Not a great solution, but I keep mine in the bill compartment of my wallet...long axis facing up, so it doesn't get folded with the billfold, and only a little bit of it sticks out the top of the wallet and gets crinkled in my pocket.

6 minutes ago, 10X said:

Not a great solution, but I keep mine in the bill compartment of my wallet...long axis facing up, so it doesn't get folded with the billfold, and only a little bit of it sticks out the top of the wallet and gets crinkled in my pocket.

so yours is not laminated...

2 minutes ago, xXxplosive said:

so yours is not laminated...

No, it's laminated.  Not a reduced-size photocopy, either, it's the inconvenient, oversized permit the state stuck us with.

But it drops into the bill compartment of my trifold wallet with only about 3/16" of the clear plastic sticking out the top...barely visible in the photo below.

Screen_Shot_2023-07-07_at_2_00_00_PM.thumb.png.dd4748ef54c0cd51579f4f0dd91372cf.png

1 hour ago, father-of-three said:

I take it that they are significantly larger than the firearms id card which is on the larger side itself?(credit card size would have been great)

They are.  A lot of police departments just hand you the 8 1/2 x 11 sheet that comes off of whatever crappy inkjet printer they have. 

Folding and trimming mine aggressively only got it down to 2-5/16 x 3-5/8" before laminating, and even trimming the laminated copy fairly aggressively it added another 3/16" on each side.  So it is inconveniently large, probably by design.

Some folks make a reduced-size copy so that it can be laminated and still fit in a credit card slot, but since the photo is glued onto the original printout, you can both see and feel (through the lamination) that it isn't an original with the glued-on photo.

• Thanks 1

Not sure if this is the best thread to put this but it seems reasonably appropriate.

Listening to GFH radio over the weekend, I thought I heard AC say something about duty to inform even if you are going to the range and NOT carrying. I had a call into USLS on Friday so I added it to my list when I spoke with the attorney today. And the answer is that YES, if you have a NJ PTC and you have a weapon in your possession in accordance with the previous exemption regime (e.g., locked and unloaded in the trunk) you STILL have a duty to inform LE. Which means that you MUST have your PTC on you at the time even if you are NOT carrying. If you don't have a PTC then the old rules apply.

What I didn't think of until after the call was whether or not informing is considered probable cause for a search of my vehicle.

1 hour ago, Xtors said:

What I didn't think of until after the call was whether or not informing is considered probable cause for a search of my vehicle.

I don't see how having a permit which would make possession of a handgun totally legal could possibly be construed as PC and justify a search for the handgun that you have already proven would be legally possessed if present.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Just now, Mr.Stu said:

I don't see how having a permit which would make possession of a handgun totally legal could possibly be construed as PC and justify a search for the handgun that you have already proven would be legally possessed if present.

I've heard, from Evan Nappen I believe, that LE just seeing your FID can allow them to do a PC search. He specifically said, "do not carry your FID with your license" for this reason. Also, FWIW, I am more referring to a situation where you aren't carrying but have an AR in the trunk. Not that I own anything illegal but again I don't want to invite the man into my life unnecessarily either.

5 minutes ago, Xtors said:

I've heard, from Evan Nappen I believe, that LE just seeing your FID can allow them to do a PC search. He specifically said, "do not carry your FID with your license" for this reason. Also, FWIW, I am more referring to a situation where you aren't carrying but have an AR in the trunk. Not that I own anything illegal but again I don't want to invite the man into my life unnecessarily either.

Did he explain how that constituted PC, or was he saying that some cops could misconstrue having an FPIC as PC for a search. Either way, how can showing a document that would make possession of the item being searched for legal, justify a search for the item?

It would just be a massive waste of time.

It would be like "Oh, you have a prescription for oxy-codeine. We're going to look for the oxy-codeine that you got legally from the pharmacy/"

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, Xtors said:

Not sure if this is the best thread to put this but it seems reasonably appropriate.

Listening to GFH radio over the weekend, I thought I heard AC say something about duty to inform even if you are going to the range and NOT carrying. I had a call into USLS on Friday so I added it to my list when I spoke with the attorney today. And the answer is that YES, if you have a NJ PTC and you have a weapon in your possession in accordance with the previous exemption regime (e.g., locked and unloaded in the trunk) you STILL have a duty to inform LE. Which means that you MUST have your PTC on you at the time even if you are NOT carrying. If you don't have a PTC then the old rules apply.

Why would you need your carry permit on you if your not carrying concealed?

• Agree 1

4 minutes ago, MB24 said:

Great question. In a sane world, you wouldn't have the permit on you if you aren't carrying. Unfortunately, we live in NJ. It has to do with how the law is written. :( 

5 minutes ago, MB24 said:

The statute was so badly written that if you are transporting unloaded guns to an exempt location, just as you would before but now you have been issued a PCH, you are required to declare. If you are transporting the same way but have not been issued a PCH, you don't have to declare.

• FacePalm 1

2 hours ago, Mr.Stu said:

Did he explain how that constituted PC, or was he saying that some cops could misconstrue having an FPIC as PC for a search. Either way, how can showing a document that would make possession of the item being searched for legal, justify a search for the item?

It would just be a massive waste of time.

It would be like "Oh, you have a prescription for oxy-codeine. We're going to look for the oxy-codeine that you got legally from the pharmacy/"

No. This was at the Lakewood US Law Shield event from last summer IIRC.

I don't disagree with you but then again there are no shortage of stories about folks getting jammed up, being accused of having an AW, etc.