Old Glock guy

Cold weather concealed carry

While I have been carrying out of state for quite a few years, most of it has been in Florida, where the weather is almost always warm.  And when I got my NJ CCW permit in the spring, I did not get back from Florida until June.  So all of my carry has been in warm weather with light clothing, with a Springfield Armory XD 9 mm subcompact. 

As we head into fall and winter, I realize that as we wear heavier clothing there is an inverse relationship between concealability and accessibility.  I'm wondering if anyone can offer any suggestions about how to keep a firearm accessible when wearing heavier winter clothing.  Also, do any of you carry a larger, potentially easier to shoot gun, when wearing more clothing?

I carry the same gun regardless of the weather - was a Glock 19, now a CZ P-01. They are about the same size. 

Even with a winter coat, I often go indoors and take the coat off, so the gun is carried in an IWB holster at 3 o'clock with my shirt over it. 

My coat has a cloth tab on the main zip so it is pretty easy to open in a hurry and then the coat can be swept back as part of my draw stroke. The shirt can be lifted with my support hand, or if necessary, I can lift the shirt with my strong hand to get on the gun. 

I carry the same gun regardless of the weather.

Rule of thumb is to only have one clothing layer concealing the firearm regardless of how many layers you are wearing.

Sometimes that layer may change - ex: wearing a coat, over a sweatshirt, over a tshirt and going from house to outside to car to outside to house - you want to tuck the sweatshirt behind the pistol while the coat is over it, then pull the sweatshirt over the pistol again as you unzip or remove the jacket. If the sweatshirt comes off, the the tshirt is pulled over the pistol to conceal it. As you go the other way, clothes are tucked in again so only one layer conceals.

This as all based on carry position as well so the process may need to be adapted to fit your personal needs.

For example - I carry AIWB, ergo an unzipped jacket does not conceal for me, so the sweatshirt needs to be pulled over the gun as soon as I unzip. However someone carrying on the hip, an unzipped jacket may work just fine without the need to cover with the sweatshirt, at least until the jacket is removed.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

On 11/7/2023 at 12:08 PM, High Exposure said:

Rule of thumb is to only have one clothing layer concealing the firearm regardless of how many layers you are wearing.

Sometimes that layer may change - ex: wearing a coat, over a sweatshirt, over a tshirt and going from house to outside to car to outside to house - you want to tuck the sweatshirt behind the pistol while the coat is over it, then pull the sweatshirt over the pistol again as you unzip or remove the jacket. If the sweatshirt comes off, the the tshirt is pulled over the pistol to conceal it. As you go the other way, clothes are tucked in again so only one layer conceals.

This as all based on carry position as well so the process may need to be adapted to fit your personal needs.

For example - I carry AIWB, ergo an unzipped jacket does not conceal for me, so the sweatshirt needs to be pulled over the gun as soon as I unzip. However someone carrying on the hip, an unzipped jacket may work just fine without the need to cover with the sweatshirt, at least until the jacket is removed.

I was taught as you say and never have more than one layer covering your gun.

On 12/14/2023 at 5:34 PM, Old Glock guy said:

Can someone recommend a pair of gloves that will keep one's hands warm, but allow use of a firearm? 

I like the Head brand running gloves they sell at Costco. (Amazon and Walmart carry them too I think). They aren’t snow gloves and I wouldn’t wear them up Everest, but they are warm enough to wear around town walking around and are thin enough to disappear in your jacket pocket when you don’t need them. They are pretty low cost, fit tight and slim and do not add too much to your grip when you grab your gun. They also work great as a glove liner, where you can get a bigger insulated glove or mitten from another brand to layer over top if you are snowboarding or ice climbing.

They also have smart phone functional fingers, which is a plus in this day and age.

On 11/7/2023 at 12:08 PM, High Exposure said:

no one ever taught me this. i bought a 6pack of wife-beaters that i wear under whatever i'm wearing for the day. i do that all year, 'cause i don't want the pistol directly against my skin. since the temp's dropped i'd been having my 2 or 3 shirts and my thermal all on top of it. i'll try this way now. thanks man.

I've been wearing a set of Under Armour Tactical Blackout 3.0 gloves.  They're decently warm and close to the skin - shooting with them is pretty good from my experience so far and the thumb/pinky are touchscreen capable. 

Under Armour Mens Tactical Blackout Glove 3.0 , (001) Black / Black / Black  , Small : Sports & Outdoors - Amazon.com

Even in 20-30 degree weather they keep my hands warm enough even when smoking outside at night.

6zMqDH5.jpg

• Haha 1