Sign in to follow this  
DirtyDigz

Is there any kind of a solvent for Red Loctite?

...besides an acytelene torch?

I put a set of XS dot sights on my glock a few months ago. Only shot it twice since then, once was at the first IDPA match I went to, then I went to the range on Friday for some more slow paced practice/technique shooting.

It's looking like I didn't get the rear sight centered on the slide. It's just a *smidge* left of center, but it's enough that if I line up the front sight with the rear line exactly, I shoot left of center on my target .

I am quite annoyed with myself.... :evil:

So, any options for removing red loctite that will preserve the rear tritum sight without burning it up and the finish on my slide? I used a lot of it underneath the rear sight and in the small allen keys on the top.

So, any options for removing red loctite that will preserve the rear tritum sight without burning it up and the finish on my slide? I used a lot of it underneath the rear sight and in the small allen keys on the top.

:roll: In this case, more is not better. And blue is your friend, not red. :oops:

Have you tried a heat gun? I don't know how hot a tritium sight can get without melting/failing.

At worst case, I would attach the hex key to the fastener first BEFORE I applied heat to try to use it as some sort of a heat sink - or even try to heat the end of the hex key prior to inserting it in the fastener and just use heat transfer...

Where are you located? If you don't have a heat gun, I could loan it to you.

DJ,

I'm in Morris County, near Morristown. Heat gun loan would be appreciated, but I'm going to contact the XS sight people first to see if they have any suggestions or if heat will damage the tritium in the rear sight.

I'm up 287 in Passaic County near Riverdale. Let me know if you need - I'll work something out with you for sure.

I also work in Belleville if that makes life easier - just a couple blocks from TBH.

Following up on this, finally got the XS sights off and replaced with regular night sights.

I ended up detail stripping the slide and putting it in a toaster oven at 450 degrees for 10 minutes. This softened the loctite enough that I was able to remove the front sight screw and loosen the rear sight set screws. Several sharp taps with a hammer and delrin punch loosened up the rear sight. Had to do a bit of de-scaling with a sharp pin to get all the loctite out of the front sight hole and rear dove tail.

Unfortunately this also melted the plastic mount for the tritium vial in the front sight, but the tritium vial stayed intact.

It also melted the firing pin channel liner in the slide (*oops*, forgot that was there). Luckily that just fell out instead of adhering to the slide and was only a $3 replacement part.

Lessons learned:

- Make sure your sights are aligned correctly, that they allow you to shoot accurately and you're satisfied with them before locking them down "permanently"

- Don't blindly follow everything that guy from tactical response advocates