FDHog

Where Do You Put Your Gun While Driving

Using an IWB while driving is almost impossible.  I'm going to be carrying a P229 and it's not a tiny gun. Is it OK to take the pistol off your hip and put it in the center console?

I carry AIWB when driving (and permitted to). I do not like leaving my gun anywhere that’s not attached to me. In the event I have to leave the vehicle not of my own volition  I’d rather not leave gun for someone else.

Good thread here with some discussion on this topic:

• Like 1

The problem I see with laying it in the center console is if someone rear ends you in a car jack attempt and the pistol goes flying. Perhaps you can try adjusting your seat and the way your sitting. Or maybe, if it is a longer trip a shoulder holster might work. Good luck.

3 hours ago, FDHog said:

Using an IWB while driving is almost impossible.

By "Using" do you mean carrying in an IWB holster, or drawing from one? I carry IWB at approx. 3 o'clock and sitting in the car is like sitting anywhere else. Drawing would require releasing the seat belt and leaning forward a little so my elbow is not hindered by the seat bolster. If I'm attacked in my car, my first choice is to drive out of the danger zone. If that isn't possible, the next thing is to get out of the vehicle ASAP - you're literally a sitting target while you are in the car. I do not want to spend any time getting my gun from the console. I want to get out, and get moving while drawing.

3 hours ago, FDHog said:

I'm going to be carrying a P229 and it's not a tiny gun.

If the gun is not compatible with your requirements, why are you carrying that model of gun?

3 hours ago, FDHog said:

Is it OK to take the pistol off your hip and put it in the center console?

No. The statute says the gun must be in a holster on your person. You could opt to transport it unloaded - like going to/from the range before carry permits were available to us peons - but I don't think that's what you were asking.

2C:58-4 Permits to carry handguns.
   2C:58-4. a. Scope and duration of authority. Any person who holds a valid permit to carry a handgun issued pursuant to this section shall be authorized to carry a handgun in a holster concealed on their person in all parts of this State, except as prohibited by subsection e. of N.J.S.2C:39-5 and section 7 of P.L.2022, c.131 (C.2C:58-4.6).
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

If the gun is not compatible with your requirements, why are you carrying that model of gun?

#1 I hate striker fired plastic pistols

#2 It's the one carry gun I'm most accurate with

I'm still waiting on my PTC and just thinking ahead.

13 hours ago, FDHog said:

Using an IWB while driving is almost impossible.  I'm going to be carrying a P229 and it's not a tiny gun. Is it OK to take the pistol off your hip and put it in the center console?

i drive every day to/from work with my pistol aiwb. perfectly fine.  what kind of holster are you using?

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, FDHog said:

If you're thinking ahead then maybe you should also be considering a different pistol.

Trying to organize how you function while carrying based on a P229 that you've never carried can be like fitting a square peg into a round hole.

2 hours ago, FDHog said:

Right now I have an Urban Carry IWB. Thinking of trying an Alien Gear at 4 o'clock. If you guys have any recommendations, feel free.

I carry at appendix IWB and I've tried several different brands, but I ended up with a generic kydex holster that I added a wing to. I didn't find a significant difference from brand to brand other than cost.  I like the retention of kydex over the comfort of leather.

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, 124gr9mm said:

If you're thinking ahead then maybe you should also be considering a different pistol.

Trying to organize how you function while carrying based on a P229 that you've never carried can be like fitting a square peg into a round hole.

Other than your duty holster, didn't you have a trial and error period before you found the right concealed carry holster?

I qualified with the 229. Right now the laws are vague whether you can carry only the one you qualified with or any one you own.

For winter,  spring and fall where you have the option of wearing an outer garment,  I am LOVING the UPPER HAND  HOLSTERS OWB.  They fit high and tight like a glove.  The most comfortable I have found yet.  The double mag pouch by them is awesome too for the other side. You have a permit to carry.  The law says concealed.  Period.  Nobody is looking for you carrying a gun.

7 hours ago, FDHog said:

1) The mission drives the gear train
2) There is no free lunch

42 minutes ago, FDHog said:

I qualified with the 229. Right now the laws are vague whether you can carry only the one you qualified with or any one you own.

There's no ambiguity.

A carry permit covers all pistols you own.

There were exceptions for older permits that were processed through the courts and had a court order attached, but the courts have removed themselves from the process, so that's no longer an issue.

On 1/17/2024 at 2:56 PM, 124gr9mm said:

There's no ambiguity.

A carry permit covers all pistols you own.

There were exceptions for older permits that were processed through the courts and had a court order attached, but the courts have removed themselves from the process, so that's no longer an issue.

Thanks. Still waiting on permit. Highlands has been pretty good as far as P2P goes so let's see how long CCW takes.

On 1/16/2024 at 6:33 PM, FDHog said:

I carry the Sig M11-A1 AIWB in a Vedder light tuck holster without issues. I’m able to drive with it that way without it being uncomfortable 

On 1/17/2024 at 1:25 AM, winmag45 said:

The problem I see with laying it in the center console is if someone rear ends you in a car jack attempt and the pistol goes flying. Perhaps you can try adjusting your seat and the way your sitting. Or maybe, if it is a longer trip a shoulder holster might work. Good luck.

This is why the handgun needs to stay attached to you.

On 1/17/2024 at 12:33 AM, FDHog said:

I've carried a 4" 357 and full.size semiautomatics (1911, Beretta 92, etc) concealed with.no issues.  Change your holster or gun.