1LtCAP

gsg522

dunno if this is the right place or not.

anyway, i took the gsg 522 out the other night. it acted up a little, and i could see it was due to being kinda dirty....which is surprising 'cause i've only got 200 rounds max through it. anyway, took it apart, cleaned the bolt carrier, lubed everything, and reassembled. it will hand-cycle now, which was iffy before cleaning. but......it won't eject the chambered round. i can see the extractor looking in place and ok......but it's not grabbing the rim.

any suggestions on what i fooked up before i take it to a 'smith?

thanks guys!

1. What brand of ammo?  And have you tried different with same results?

2. You mention the extractor is in place but I would take the bolt out and inspect the extractor for any damage and see if it will hold a spent case.

I've had some extraction issues in multiple 22s all with the same sticky ammo (Aguila) but all work fine with CCI.

Hope this helps

Just now, SmokenClay said:

1. What brand of ammo?  And have you tried different with same results?

2. You mention the extractor is in place but I would take the bolt out and inspect the extractor for any damage and see if it will hold a spent case.

I've had some extraction issues in multiple 22s all with the same sticky ammo (Aguila) but all work fine with CCI.

Hope this helps

i was running remington thunderbolts the other night. i was able to run 5 or 6 mags through in spite of it acting up. it didn't start failing to eject till i cleaned it.

34 minutes ago, JohnnyB said:

i didn't disassemble to bolt when i had it out. i cleaned it externally. maybe that'll be my sunday project. i didn't have any springs fall out. i knew about the hold-open spring possibly falling out. mine didn't. i verified it was still in there when i put the bolt back in. it's gotta be something i did though, since it ejected most of the time before  did this.......\

oh yea. i didn't have any left over parts, lol

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, 1LtCAP said:

i was able to run 5 or 6 mags through in spite of it acting up

OK so an occasional extraction issue?  Probably best to give the bolt a review and make sure the chamber is clean.  Also try different ammo to confirm the behavior.

8 hours ago, SmokenClay said:

OK so an occasional extraction issue?  Probably best to give the bolt a review and make sure the chamber is clean.  Also try different ammo to confirm the behavior.

it was that when i had it at the range. i cleaned it last night just before making this post. function check seemed ok. then i loaded a partial mag, and hand-cycled it(pointed in a safe direction of course.). it would load a round every time, but when i hand-cycled the bolt back, it wouldn't eject the round. every single time. that doesn't seem normal to me.

Not normal.  Something is not allowing the case to be extracted.  Likely culprits are weak extractor spring, broken/rounded off extractor, fouled chamber.  Aside from that I really can't think of anything else that would cause this.

...  I'm scratching my grays and going back rereading the problem description and maybe I'm assuming something here?  When you say 'wouldn't eject' is the case stuck in the chamber or just not ejecting (comes out of the chamber but causes a jam)?  Perhaps a picture could help explain what's going on.

I also found this:

https://www.ar15.com/forums/armory/GSG5_weak_ejection_for_anyone___I_had_to_modify_my_extractor/41-277116/

2 hours ago, SmokenClay said:

Not normal.  Something is not allowing the case to be extracted.  Likely culprits are weak extractor spring, broken/rounded off extractor, fouled chamber.  Aside from that I really can't think of anything else that would cause this.

...  I'm scratching my grays and going back rereading the problem description and maybe I'm assuming something here?  When you say 'wouldn't eject' is the case stuck in the chamber or just not ejecting (comes out of the chamber but causes a jam)?  Perhaps a picture could help explain what's going on.

I also found this:

https://www.ar15.com/forums/armory/GSG5_weak_ejection_for_anyone___I_had_to_modify_my_extractor/41-277116/

it's not ejecting at all. when i clear the mag out, and lock the bolt back, i can tip the gun backwards and the round drops out. if it doesn't, i can snag it with the tip of my knife and it falls right out.

If the cartridge falls out on its own rules out sticking in the chamber and would suggest an extractor issue of sorts.  It could not have enough tension or something blocking the extractor from getting on the rim of the case in battery (if it holds a case on the bolt out of the gun.)

With the bolt out of the gun have a good look in the chamber around the extractor relief area and make sure there is no gunk pushing the extractor off the rim.  I'm out of ideas after that.

My 522 seems to have wear (looks almost burr-like) on barrel side by extractor slot, but extracts fine. Mine prefers Federal AutoMatch (325rd) and CCI MiniMags for best functionality.

I have had a broken part on my bolt, so check for cracks in the metal. And if you disassemble the bolt, the metal (or is it screws?) is easy to strip. I also suggest blue loctite. Bolt is easy enough to work on, but there are a few spring loaded parts. May wanna take pics first time.

Mine does not like to run dry or dirty.