DaddyNick

Glock 43X - pro's and cons?

Probably my next purchase. I already own a 19, 36, and 44. 

Was pretty set on getting the 26 but liked the longer and slightly thinner grip on the 43x. If I got the 26 I'd put Pearce grip extensions on the mags for a longer gripnn 

If/when I start the CWW permit process this will most likely be my carry piece. 

Will probably just get the stock version. Maybe eventually putting a light on it. 

Discuss.  Thanks for any information. 

Have you shot any of the slim Glocks? The felt recoil impulse is rather different as there is much less surface area for your hand to mate with.

Personally, I don't like them. That may be exacerbated by the fact I have pretty large hands and the double stack Glocks fit me well. To give you an idea of my hand size, I can hit the mag release and slide stop with my thumb without moving my grip at all.

• Thanks 1

I prefer the 48 to the 43x. They both have the full size grip, you may as well have the benefit of the full length slide.

I shot both the 43x and the 48 before choosing and I see no benefit to the shorter slide on the 43X unless you are going to put a comp on it. The shorter slide does not help you conceal the gun and - to me - it is noticeably snappier when shooting.

Whichever one you decide on, get the MOS version so you have the light rail and the option to add a RDS if you ever want to go that way in the future.

• Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

I had the 43, 43x, and 48. I sold them off and replaced them with the Sig P365, 365x, and 365xl. As much as a Glock fan that I am, Sig got it right when it came to this class of guns, Glock missed the mark. Everything is just better about the Sig. Give them a look before buying.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Mr.Stu said:

Have you shot any of the slim Glocks? The felt recoil impulse is rather different as there is much less surface area for your hand to mate with.

Personally, I don't like them. That may be exacerbated by the fact I have pretty large hands and the double stack Glocks fit me well. To give you an idea of my hand size, I can hit the mag release and slide stop with my thumb without moving my grip at all.

I have shot one. It was fine. I'm a typical vertically challenged Italian.  I've got short fingered meaty mitts. 

6 hours ago, High Exposure said:

I prefer the 48 to the 43x. They both have the full size grip, you may as well have the benefit of the full length slide.

I shot both the 43x and the 48 before choosing and I see no benefit to the shorter slide on the 43X unless you are going to put a comp on it. The shorter slide does not help you conceal the gun and - to me - it is noticeably snappier when shooting.

Whichever one you decide on, get the MOS version so you have the light rail and the option to add a RDS if you ever want to go that way in the future.

I'll check the 48. I did notice the longer slide on the 48 and assumed it may not conceal as well. Thanks for letting me know. 

Back down the rabbit hole on the 48....

2 hours ago, diamondd817 said:

I had the 43, 43x, and 48. I sold them off and replaced them with the Sig P365, 365x, and 365xl. As much as a Glock fan that I am, Sig got it right when it came to this class of guns, Glock missed the mark. Everything is just better about the Sig. Give them a look before buying.

In the 90s I had a 239 and loved that gun. Needed money and sold a long time ago. One of my gun sale regrets.  With that said the whole debacle with the 320 years ago has me spooked. And the fact that sigs ain't made like they used to be (like the 239 I had on the 90s).  

I'm off on Friday Saturday. If I head somewhere with some pew pews in the case I'll check em out. Thanks 

My two cents is that I put an Apex Tactical Action Enhancement kit into my 48. I liked it.

If I ever go for a NJ CCW that will be one I carry.

I happen to agree with HE on the dimensions of the 48. It seem to mold onto my frame well, and I can't have more than 10 rounds anyway.

• Thanks 1

Currently have a G48 in my carry rotation.

Grip is definitely slimmer - I don't have large hands and I found I had to put on Talon grips to make it comfortable enough to shoot a lot.  I have the OG Non-MOS 2-tone version... It's all Mike Lowrey Bad Boys 2 two-tone'd out.... 

Back when the G43x and G48 launched, I shot both and chose the G48 over the 43x for the reasons HE stated.  It's much nicer shooting.  Yes, the G43x cycles slightly faster, but man - you do feel that recoil more.

• Thanks 1

The 365's are not the 320's and don't have any of the problems the 320's had/have. I'm up to a couple thousand rounds though my 365's and have not had one single hiccup. And they never went off by themselves. I have 100% confidence in them.

I switched over to the 365 line up for many reasons. The trigger is much better than the Glock triggers. Better reset,  take up, and break, they also come with flat trigger shoes (except for the standard 365, which can be switched to the flat trigger). Optic cut slides are standard in the lineup. Modularity, you can buy 1 FCU and make 4 different guns by switching grip modules and slides around. But the biggest reason for me was the magazine capacities, compatibility, and options. This is where Glock really screwed the pooch. Glock 43 mags are not compatible with the 43x/48 mags and the whole lineup has substandard capacity and no options. The standard 365 has a capacity of 10rds whereas the 43 is 6rds, and they are the same size guns (Sig might be a tad smaller). The 365x/xl has the same grip length as the 43x/48 and is a 12rd capacity vs 10rds for the Glocks (factory 10rd mags are also available for the 365x/xl so you can be NJ compliant). The 12rd mags also adapt to the standard 365. Then you have the option for factory 17rd(!!) mags for the 365 lineup (Yes, this is a moot point for now, because f _ _ _ _ NJ), whereas their are no factory options for higher capacity in the 43 lineup. Yes, I know there are aftermarket 15rd for the 43x/48, but there is always huge debates about factory vs aftermarket mags, I'll just leave it at that. You also get night sights standard on all the 365's. Like I said, I'm a big Glock fan, maybe even a fanboy, but I couldn't deny how superior the 365 series is in this segment. 

The only downside to the 365 family, at least for me, was the mag release. It was too low profile for me to manipulate without having to change my grip, but I resolved that issue with aftermarket mag releases.

FWIW, they shoot great too. I can shoot 200-300 rds in a session without tiring out. 

• Thanks 1

I just did a quick check and found out that Gun For Hire has many Glocks available for rental, including the 43x and 48.  Might be worth the drive for you to check them out.  BTW, it's a pretty impressive place, well worth seeing. 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Old Glock guy said:

I just did a quick check and found out that Gun For Hire has many Glocks available for rental, including the 43x and 48.  Might be worth the drive for you to check them out.  BTW, it's a pretty impressive place, well worth seeing. 

pretty sure OP is in South Jersey so it may not be worth the ride...

Though we are having a Diversity Shoot at GFH on the 22nd...

• Thanks 1

My carry rotation. G43x with parker mountain comp brings the overall length to assentially a 48, lol

As for the original question;

Pros: Light weight, maximum NJ capacity (10). The slim models are very easy to conceal without having to worry about printing. If your end goal is to carry, it is very comfortable as far as form and weight. The longer grip just feels better in handling and controlling the gun. The ones where I have to hang my pinky over the grip I tend to have to readjust my grip during fire.

Cons: Slight kick due to the overall size of the gun, but it really isn't bad (especially with a comp =P). This next part is a con for me personally, but the grip, even with the grip texture was still more slippery than I'd prefer but grip tape helps with that!

PXL_20230626_131637049.thumb.jpg.0daef119eab1e69741a86eab744d0c54.jpg

• Like 2

That’s a nice rig @EngineerJet!! 

I have a 43x slide I got milled for a dot. I’m planning on comping it (waiting for the Radian setup for the 43x to get released. I like the PMM but I don’t like the installation) and using it on a G48 MOS frame.

I swap between my G19 and G48 for daily carry now.

I definitely shoot my G19 better (more accurately and faster) than my G48 at 20-25 yards. It’s a wash inside 20. @Mrs. Peel saw it first hand Thursday night. Couldn’t keep the 48 in the black of a B8 past 15. With the 19 I had no issues.

• Like 1

Thanks for all the advice. 

Ended up getting the 48mos. I can always grab a 43 slide/upper later on down to the road if I want to go that route. 

I did look at the sig 365 xl, macro, 365 and they were nice but not 150-200$ more nice than the Glocks. Lol 

7 hours ago, DaddyNick said:

Thanks for all the advice. 

Ended up getting the 48mos. I can always grab a 43 slide/upper later on down to the road if I want to go that route. 

I did look at the sig 365 xl, macro, 365 and they were nice but not 150-200$ more nice than the Glocks. Lol 

As fate would have it, this popped up on the forum today. It’s a great price for a complete OEM Glock slide:

• Like 1