A buddy of mine is trying to get his NJ PtC, and he is having a very difficult time of it. He seems to be getting conflicting instructions from multiple (some of them "official") sources. I began doing some research to try to help him, and I ran into obviously bogus information almost immediately, in the form of application instructions still up on the NJSP site that discuss submitting the (old) PAPER form to local PD or NJSP station. NJSP has had conflicting info on their site from day one; I recall finding quite a bit when I was applying in 2022. I did try to make a pass through the online process using bogus information, so that I could do screen captures that might help him out, but I can only get part of the way through before I get an error (no fingerprint record found) on the SBI number I provided (I have no intention of using my real SBI and giving some hotshot in Callahan's or Platkin's office an opportunity to accuse me of some kind of fraud for submitting a falsified application, small risk though others here might think that to be). Does anyone have a pointer or link to a current, verified accurate, guide to completing the application process that I could share with him? Thanks.

GS

The silence is deafening. I'm baffled by the complete lack of response. Is this that stupid a question? Am I so disliked here that I can't get an answer on behalf of a friend who wants to join the ranks of NJ concealed carriers (I certainly don't go out of my way to be ingratiating, but I don't think I have been that offensive)? Or has NJ made this process so damned complicated and confusing that no one will venture an answer for fear of misleading the applicant?

Apply through the FARS website. It's self explanatory once you start. You need to upload a copy of your training certificate and the trainer's cert. You also need your card for the SBI number, driver's license, & names addresses, phone numbers and emails of 4 references not related by blood. 

Check here: https://gunforhire.com/nj-ccw-permit/

14 hours ago, ChrisJM981 said:

Apply through the FARS website. It's self explanatory once you start. You need to upload a copy of your training certificate and the trainer's cert. You also need your card for the SBI number, driver's license, & names addresses, phone numbers and emails of 4 references not related by blood. 

Check here: https://gunforhire.com/nj-ccw-permit/

Thank you!!! This is not for me, I already have mine (later stages of the old paper process). I think his problem was that he was doing web searches for the procedure, and finding obsolete and conflicting information (even on officiel NJ state sites). Also, of course, the NJSP station that covers his area did nothing to put him on the correct path (no surprise there, I share that station, and they were an impediment nearly every step pf the way for my application). I was tempted to tell him that the on-line process should be self-explanatory, but since I can't complete it until my renewal comes up, I had no way to verify that, and I was absolutely not going to risk piling more bad advice on him. Thanks again!

19 hours ago, Grima Squeakersen said:

The silence is deafening. I'm baffled by the complete lack of response. Is this that stupid a question? Am I so disliked here that I can't get an answer on behalf of a friend who wants to join the ranks of NJ concealed carriers (I certainly don't go out of my way to be ingratiating, but I don't think I have been that offensive)? Or has NJ made this process so damned complicated and confusing that no one will venture an answer for fear of misleading the applicant?

i am clueless on the new procedure.....both for this, and for applying for p2p, which i need to do now as i've got a couple on lay-away.......

i also will add that although i had come here on sat night, and on sunday, i didn't see this post till just now......

So my question is.....when does one's permit actually expire......(A) the original expiration date on the permit....or....(B) the date one submitted the required Re-Qualification submittals / paperwork after the original permit was issued......and the answer is....................... .

43 minutes ago, xXxplosive said:

So my question is.....when does one's permit actually expire......(A) the original expiration date on the permit....or....(B) the date one submitted the required Re-Qualification submittals / paperwork after the original permit was issued......and the answer is....................... .

The original expiration date on the permit. This is the PRNJ. They are not going to extend the expiration date just because they changed the rules on us!

• Thanks 1

So, I had more back-and-forth with my buddy. He had begun his application before the process was completely converted to FARS, and he made a couple of errors on it. Now, apparently the state will not allow him to just cancel his original app and begin again using the (theoretically, anyway) easier online process, he has to jump through hoops to get corrections made in his original app, and wait an inordinately long time for the state to reciprocate. I had similar issues on my application, since the permit granting process was shifted from the judiciary to NJSP Fiurearms Div while it was in process. As it a result, it took me nearly 8 months (and several certified letters that I am quite sure did not endear me to the recipients) to get my permit. Even if the innate NJ state government hostility to 2A is set aside, imo those bureaucrats could still eff up a nocturnal emission...