Sign in to follow this  
Mrs. Peel

140-Year-old Technology Deployed in the Russia-Ukraine War

Some of you military history buffs may enjoy this. Personally?... I'm wondering... is it evidence of great, timeless design? Or are the Ukrainians just in far worse shape in this war than the media has advertised? You be the judge!

Apparently, the Ukrainians are regularly employing the Maxim M1910 on the battlefield, a 140-year-old machine gun that was first used in World War I. (Well, now that I'm thinking about it...  I own a 1911... so maybe I shouldn't question this?) ;)

Slideshow: Ukraine is using a very old machine gun because of its unique abilities (msn.com)

News reports say both sides are using it so maybe it’s just the closest thing that can sling 7.62x54R

The M2 is what, like, 90 years old now? So it’s getting up there although many variants have modernized the design over the years. And the M2 started liquid cooled also.

• Informative 2

Dr. Mark Felton (YouTube) did a great video of "antique" weapons being used in the Ukraine today.  In addition to the Maxim, he found Ukrainian Border Guards using Mosin Nagant rifles from the First War, the German STG 44, and the Soviet PPsh-41 and SKS.  I'm betting there are many others.

• Informative 1

22 hours ago, dilbert1967 said:

Dr. Mark Felton (YouTube) did a great video of "antique" weapons being used in the Ukraine today.  In addition to the Maxim, he found Ukrainian Border Guards using Mosin Nagant rifles from the First War, the German STG 44, and the Soviet PPsh-41 and SKS.  I'm betting there are many others.

I can't remember if it was Syria or somewhere else, but around 10 or so years ago I was told (maybe somebody at Sarco?) that 7.62x25 was getting scarce because there was an uptick in pps43 use.  That being said, I'm not too surprised that older stuff is getting re-use.

2 hours ago, father-of-three said:

... That being said, I'm not too surprised that older stuff is getting re-use.

Pretty much goes without saying. The old saying that "the only enemies firearms have are rust and tyrants" is still pretty much true.

Wait 'til you see what comes out for the first time in forever when shite goes bad here, sometime before 1.20.25

And 'they' know it.