sroc112

Thoughts on this weld job?

I'm not worried about the brake being ruined, it's a cheap basic a2 style brake. But I would feel better knowing I can have it removed and have a new one done by someone else, but I guess there is no way to know if it can be removed without destroying the thread until you actually try and remove it, and then may be too late of it was too deep to salvage.

I was originally going to use monmouth arms but decided to ise this place as it was the most convenient for location at the time.

1 guy there was cool but the other dude I dealt with a few times, who was the one who did the work, was an asshole. I'll never go there again.

9 minutes ago, sroc112 said:

I'm not worried about the brake being ruined, it's a cheap basic a2 style brake. But I would feel better knowing I can have it removed and have a new one done by someone else, but I guess there is no way to know if it can be removed without destroying the thread until you actually try and remove it, and then may be too late of it was too deep to salvage.

That's a shit job, and the chances are you can't remove that without damaging the barrel/threads. Hence, the pin and welded nonsense. You should have went to FSS which is 5 minutes away. 

17 minutes ago, sroc112 said:

Point Blank in East Hanover

And before that they were called County Line Firearms. I wouldn't even consider stepping foot in their establishment just from reading their store policy nonsense on their website. I guess most felt he same way, and that's why they went out of business/sold out. To hell with any gun store that adds unnecessary additional requirements and bullshit on top of NJ' bullshit.

My first ar so I didn't know any better when I picked it up, but knew it didn't seem right. Did some more research when I got home and then just got pissed. Worst part about it now looking back is how much of a dick this guy was and the stupid comments he kept making. I won't be going back there for anything.

2 minutes ago, glockncolts said:

I am a weld supervisor and I would fire that guy.........

Chances you think something like this can be removed without destroying the barrel so I can have it redone?

21 minutes ago, sroc112 said:

My first ar so I didn't know any better when I picked it up, but knew it didn't seem right. Did some more research when I got home and then just got pissed. Worst part about it now looking back is how much of a dick this guy was and the stupid comments he kept making. I won't be going back there for anything.

Chances you think something like this can be removed without destroying the barrel so I can have it redone?

Easy peasy. Just needs to be ground down until you see a line where it is not fused....

1 minute ago, sroc112 said:

You're a pro welder? Or was that a sarcastic comment amount firing that guy? Where you located 

Aws certified weld supervisor..  I am in south jersey by vineland... Any welder with a pulse should be able to do that job....

On 3/22/2024 at 8:43 AM, njJoniGuy said:

This story  is a reminder of two basic tenets of life::

2) Life is too short to deal with people who come across as assholes ... they usually are!

Gun store a-holes and and pin/weld jobs like that are the reason I gladly drive an hour to Monmouth Arms..:coffee:

• Agree 1

Seperate question - I have a Magpul STR stock on this gun. There is no pin or hole visible anywhere on the stock from the pin job. They mentioned that they put something in between the little trigger piece on the stock that you squeeze to adjust it, so that it can't be moved. Mentioned that it can be removed if needed, although not easy to do with just your hands on the fly. They made it seem this was a better way to go about the pin, cosmetically anyway.

It almost appears like that little trigger piece on the stock is fully squeezed in, and then some internal pin placed somewhere within that mechanism to keep it from moving.

Anyone familiar with this method? Assuming since it makes the stock no longer adjustable, even temporarily, it solved the restriction around it. Or am I wrong?

On 3/29/2024 at 2:25 PM, sroc112 said:

Seperate question - I have a Magpul STR stock on this gun. There is no pin or hole visible anywhere on the stock from the pin job. They mentioned that they put something in between the little trigger piece on the stock that you squeeze to adjust it, so that it can't be moved. Mentioned that it can be removed if needed, although not easy to do with just your hands on the fly. They made it seem this was a better way to go about the pin, cosmetically anyway.

It almost appears like that little trigger piece on the stock is fully squeezed in, and then some internal pin placed somewhere within that mechanism to keep it from moving.

Anyone familiar with this method? Assuming since it makes the stock no longer adjustable, even temporarily, it solved the restriction around it. Or am I wrong?

When I lived in NJ, that’s how I had my stocks ‘pinned’. 

It meets the spirit of the law, in the respect that the stock cannot be adjusted. One would have to use tools to take the stock apart and change the LOP. 

• Thanks 1