JonF

My target/pinking AR build

A few months back i acquired a my first AR lower and just recently began determining the build specs. Its going to be primarily for target shooting at Ft Dix where the range is 200 yds max. I just received a DPMS LPK and an ACE skeleton stock and i'm sending the trigger to Bill Springfield for his 3lb service. Just today i found a vendor selling new RRA Predator Pursuit complete uppers and more importantly, they're in stock so i jumped on that! These uppers are a flat top, 20" stainless heavy barrel 1:8" twist that have been gathering favorable reviews in terms of accuracy. Its not quite a "bull" barrel in the its less than .920 OD and its a pound or so less overall weight. When that and the revised trigger arrives, i'll scavenge the scope off my other rifle and be all set to shoot my first AR. Hope the combination works out!

RRA Predator Pursuit upper

http://www.rockriverarms.com/index.cfm? ... ory_id=271

Sounds really cool. I just took out my Oly arms Model K16 for the first time down at FT Dix yesterday. I put the carry handle on it along with a front sight and only really shot out to about 75 yds just breaking it in. With all the bad reps against them I had not one problem. So far I am very happy with it I got it to go along with my saiga .223, other then the heat it was a good day. Good luck and enjoy.

Nice. congrats.

for a similar build... I am looking at white oak uppers or the one you mentioned. I want in in a 24inch. =P

lol. the only problem.... I am going to want to build another AR to have on standby for those ICTSHTF scenarios.

My RRA upper arrived in the mail today and i just finished degreasing it (smelled like it was dunked in WD40 before it left the factory) and inspecting/lubing it. I'm going to steal a scope off my other rifle and if the weather clears up a bit, head to Dix this weekend and test it out. I've got a combination of cheap and expensive ammo to sight it in with and then see how well it can group. I'll try to put a pic up of it soon.

Here it is as-is. There's a problem with the scope though as it sits too low off the top of the receiver so you can't really get a good position unless you smash your face down an tilt your head. to remedy this i recently ordered a riser rail and also a different grip that has adjustable palm swell since the stock grip is kinda spindly. Its actually uncomfortable to try to use the scope like it is so i'll have to wait for the rail to arrive before i go shooting.

It's a Mueller Tac 8-25x44 in Burris Sig Zee High rings but apparently to mount traditional riflescopes on flat top AR's you generally need either specialty extra-extra high rings or an offset mounting rail to push the scope up and forward to get the proper positioning and eye relief. These are new to me so i wasn't really aware of the issue, i just grabbed the scope and rings off another non-AR rifle where the combo was sufficient.

It's a Mueller Tac 8-25x44 in Burris Sig Zee High rings but apparently to mount traditional riflescopes on flat top AR's you generally need either specialty extra-extra high rings or an offset mounting rail to push the scope up and forward to get the proper positioning and eye relief. These are new to me so i wasn't really aware of the issue, i just grabbed the scope and rings off another non-AR rifle where the combo was sufficient.

yeah, took it forgranted. =)

We put a nikon on top of an a2 and it was great... without it, it would be a bit low. =)

I got my offset rail, added a CAA adjustable grip and lastly an accuwedge. The scope position is just perfect now and its ready to go shooting. The sunshade on the end of the scope stops right where the free float handguard ends. lol

Looks good Jon!

I noticed on the RRA site, they refer to the upper as .223 Wylde. Is this compatible with 5.56 NATO? I know .223 Rem and 5.56 are externally identical, but I also know that guns stamped .223 shouldn't use 5.56, but the opposite is fine.

edit: Nevermind, I just read about the .223 Wylde chamber on RRA's site. :)

Yea, good to go on both. Its strong enough for 5.56 yet still retains accuracy for .223 which is a nice combo.

The more I've read up on your upper, the more I want to build one.

Looks like RRA sells complete A4 Varmint rifles that include their 2 stage match trigger for between $850-950, or I could build my own, since I'd probably go with a Magpul PRS stock.

Decisions, decisions...