Ray Ray

Charter Arms anyone?

I've got permits coming real soon ;) and I don't know if I want the Ruger LCR or Charter Arms southpaw. I know PK90 carry's Charter Arms in his store but does anyone own one? Is it a piece of crap or are they a good deal? I just might buy both snubbies since they are my favorite guns.

Charter Arms make a decent gun Ray, I've sold a few with no problems, the LCR is difficult to obtain tho.

I'll put it this way Tony, would you bet your life on it in a pinch? I say that because it would be used for concealed carry and as a nightstand piece.

I have an LCR for sale if interested. PM me.

You still got that Charter Arms southpaw in stock? I might wanna take a peak at her. But I put in for my permits in June so I won't get them until April. :twisted:

Well, where do I begin. I purchased the Charter Arms Southpaw last week and took her out this morning for a trial run. Not good. It shoots, but 2 rounds don't eject from the chamber. I had to push down on the gun's ejector rod onto the shooting bench which inturn pushed the cylinder out of alignment. I will be calling their CS on Tuesday and sending her back that day. That really sucks. I had purchased a bunch of different home defense rounds to test and now I have to wait.

Quit honestly if you are going to CC carry Charter is not the one I would gamble my butt on, I have seen it over time and time again and they have failure written all over them. The company has changed hands several times over and they keep getting worse. I toyed with the idea of one because of the price and I could find nothing good about them in the last few years, even Kenny at shore shot shook his head in the no position when I asked him about the ones in their case. The older models and products seem to be much better. Taurus makes a excellent revolver and I would trust my life on anyone of mine, they are not as excellent as a S&W but they are reliable and affordable.

http://www.sksboards.com/smf/index.php?topic=48066.0

Check this out, several of these guy's I am friendly with they really know their crap and there is no

gun snobbery on that site. Read the entire thread it's a bit long but it shows their CS, repair work and

communication sucks also.

I am always on the cheap, I love a good deal and shop around for everything I buy.

When I told my brother in law who is a cop I was getting my ccw he said cheap and cc or off duty weapon

are not in the same sentence. Buy no means am I saying to spend a G on a pistol or revolver but do the research

and maybe drop a few more on it then you would on a range plinker. I ended up going to a Kahr cw9, it was about

$550.00, I could not find a poor review on it, single stack and easy to carry, little to no print and after 300 rounds of

Wolf steel cased stuff never a failure to fire. These are just my opinions everyone is different so please no one get offended

I just would not want to see anyone hurt over a poorly made handgun.

Your right, and I wouldn't trust my or my family's life with something that isn't reliable. I took a chance on an American made product with a lifetime warranty and hopefully they can come threw for me. After I get all the kinks out I'll run her threw the paces (200 rounds and some hd stuff) to see if she'll make it as a viable home defense/cc firearm. I haven't heard anything bad on Charter Arms in a while so maybe I got a lemon. You mentioned you trusted Taurus revolvers and I have the M85 38 special and love it. Some of my fathers friends where trying to change my mind and having me look at a few S&W, Rugers, and Colts. But I took a chance and love that littl snubbie! Now, hopefully Charter Arms can do their part and correct this minor issue.

I remember when Charter Arms was a headliner via David Berkowitz ("son of sam" for you youngin's) for using a Bulldog .44 special. Mailman by day and badman by night.

Here's my letter that's going to Charter Arms along with the revolver.

To whom it may concern,

Upon shooting this revolver in the trial run, I noticed the cylinder would not let the extractor eject some of the spent casings. This happened on the first 5 rounds and for the rest of the range session (which only lasted 25 rounds). It wasn

Thought I'd update this if anyone really cares. I called Charter Arms yesterday (monday) and they had just recieved my firearm. I asked what the turnaround time is and she said about a week. I hope they can resolve this issue as really like the feel of my southpaw.

Okay, so I called yesterday (Friday) and they said it already shipped out. It arrived like a half hour later. Funny. Anyway, the work done her was:

burnished chambers

replaced crane

replaced transfer bar

replaced main spring

function fired okay, 15 rounds double action

The range report will be coming soon.

Good to here they got it back so soon, bad to here they let this weapon off the line with this many issues.

Their quality control leaves a lot to be desired.

I'll find out Monday afternoon.

Well, I've got good news and bad news.

The good news is that it had no real issues ejecting the spent casings. Although I found out that this revolver doesn't like Magtech brass. Those rounds still got lodged in the chamber. I also shot Independence cheapo crap, Speer Gold Dot 135g +P HP, Hornady Critical Defense 110g, and Federal Low recoil 110g rounds. No ejecting issues with the rest, just the Magtech.

Now the bad news, she shoots left, way left, way out in left field left. At 5 or 6 yards I couldn't put any rounds in the black bullseye. It wasn't only me, as Dan aka djg0770 also shot her and had the same issues. We also shot a 9, a 45 and a 380 and put the rounds where we were aiming so it wasn't us. Maybe a phone call in the morning to Mr. Charter and see what they say. Any ideas on what to do?

BTW, thanks for coming dan and dealing with my lateness. I'd be late for my own funeral, I tell ya!

Do the directions state the pistol requires a break in period or specific number of rounds?

I found that after I put the factory recommended 200 rounds though my Kahr accuracy and over all

performance improved. If not then I would personally recommend selling or trading it in as it will not

do what you purchased it to do which is for reliable self defense.

To answer your question, no. Even if it needed a break-in period this kind of accuracy can only be described as terrible. I called Charter Arms today (at 545 and they were still there) and she said send it in and we'll see what we can do. So, here we go again with this. Round 2.

Shoulda bought a bersa 380!

Or with my first choice which was the LCR, but she'll be mine soon.

I'm also a lefty so was interested in a southpaw charter. Just in general I am new to guns but I learn quick. I also like American made, but am fine with foreign. Here's my experience with handguns so far, bought since summer:

SA loaded 1911, perfect function (frame brazil, the rest maybe USA or for parts fitting) 300+ rounds.

H&K P30, perfect function (Germany) 400+ rounds. Heh just like the cars ;)

Ruger LCP 380, not so perfect (USA). Fail to extract too often, sent back for repair, good service, it's OK now. 1200+ rounds.

If my new batch of permits *ever* get here, I'll pick up my new American made Kahr PM9.

My own experience with lower-priced guns (LCP) and what I read of other's experiences is that quality control can be weak. Or maybe the right way to say it is weaker than pricier guns. I doubt this is due to any particular country's labor force, or factory management. So while I am always interested in bargains, and am well aware that price alone does not measure quality, I am steering away from second-string manufacturers for now. Also having to re-test for function when ammo is not cheap raises the cost to put a gun into service. I like my LCP, but I have put at least her price through in ammo to test. I think I might have been better off just buying a higher-end gun.

So with revolvers, which I will eventually buy, charter, taurus, ruger, smith, etc, from what I read here and all over the net, I will likely go with smith. I just want to reduce the possibility of having to send back a brand new gun for repair, then to pump ammo cash for testing into it repeatedly. I read they also hold their value well, and that's important to me.

So I sort of see a parallel between my LCP and your southpaw experiences. I wish you the best of luck, and hope charter does it right by you.

If my new batch of permits *ever* get here, I'll pick up my new American made Kahr PM9.

Good choice, you wont be sorry, once you get through the 200 round break in which I used wolf for and had no

issues, it's smooth sailing.

Taurus I love, have had many and never an issue with a revolver or a semi from them.

Their older stuff from the late 80's and early 90's were very problematic they seem to have their act

together now. Their 92 clones run very nice and smooth for thousands of rounds.

You know, I was expecting a little more from Charter. I should have mentioned this before, but their craftsmanship, or lack there of, is bad. I can see scratches on the trigger guard and front sight that should've been taken care of. Anyway, she's going back tomorrow as I have to type up another letter and explain that she shoots about to the left.