Sign in to follow this  
captblue1

inheriting guns

My buddy inherited a few long guns. He doesn't have a FPID. There is no reason he couldn't get one, he just hasn't done it yet. He is worried about taking them hunting. If he is pulled over or something and doesn't have a purchasers card, how did he acquire the guns. I told him he was fine because he has them through legal means(inheritance). Am i right? These laws are confusing. I did try to look it up but i am more confused.

If I would take an "educated guess" as to what percentage of NJ residents have firearms without an FPID, I would say it is about 50% of all firearm owners. But, about 25% of those would be a prohibited person. Of course, about 10% of FPID holders would also be a prohibited person. I have nothing to base this on except personal and professional contacts and experiences. Just my opinion.

If I would take an "educated guess" as to what percentage of NJ residents have firearms without an FPID, I would say it is about 50% of all firearm owners. But, about 25% of those would be a prohibited person. Of course, about 10% of FPID holders would also be a prohibited person. I have nothing to base this on except personal and professional contacts and experiences. Just my opinion.

So basically 10 out of 100 NJ residents with a NJ FPID card will be declined due to NICS?

Legally he's fine.

However in NJ - the Gungrabbing State, I would advise him to get his FPID asap.

I have been bugging him to get it. He just got married so now he should have more time. It is just a hassle to do and i have no response for that. He is a member of NRA though.

It is just a hassle to do and i have no response for that.

It's a hassle to exercise his CONSTITUTIONAL RIGHT? Does he have a Driver's License obtained more than 10 yrs ago? Then that was more of a hassle and that's 'just a privilege'!

Maybe I am a little tired tonight, but it seems that you are yelling at me? No he didn't obtain driver's license more than 10 years ago. and he is exercising his CONSTITUTIONAL RIGHTS. He owns and bears firearms while he hunts and goes target shooting. He has no need to purchase as of today. He inherited different types of firearms that satisfies his current needs. He just has a little distrust for the gov and law. Who can blame him?