Sign in to follow this  
NJ609

"Old" Shotguns

In my family there are some older firearms that probably haven't been shot in 30 years or more. I really don't think since I've been alive anyway.

All high quality stuff, but I don't want to just load 'em up and fire to see if they still work and cycle, etc...

Winchester Model 12 ('51)

Remington 11-48 (60's???)

Remington 29 ('30 to '33?)

Anyone have any advice on what to do? Should I do a total breakdown and cleaning? Man I'd have to find the instructions, these puppies are OLD! (Well, to me they are anyway!)

I'm not even sure if the 29 shoots 2.75 inch shells. Nor do we have any clue as to the value of these shotguns....

Thanks for advice or info!

mere babies - as long as they are in good condition i would shoot them - i would check the remington from the 20's to verify that it has a 2 3/4" chamber -

from the looks of the video it seems like an obstruction near chamber caused the blow up -

I have a Winchester 12-20 as old as yours. Clean it up really well and it will shoot fine. I mean really well. I found plenty of disassemble info online.

Good luck. As for the value, you can't put a price on inherited guns. Things that are "worth" $100, I would not sell for $1,000.

I have a Winchester 12-20 as old as yours. Clean it up really well and it will shoot fine. I mean really well. I found plenty of disassemble info online.

Good luck. As for the value, you can't put a price on inherited guns. Things that are "worth" $100, I would not sell for $1,000.

I agree about the value!

Apparently the Winchester 12 needs some work, my Dad isn't sure about the other two. I guess I could break them down and verify that everything is functioning to the best of my abilities.

I have an 11-48 from Jan 1949 I was shooting the other day. Give them all a good once over and cleaning or have a competent smith check them out for you.

I have a few 22's from the 1930's that shoot better than some modern ones.

My 11-48 is my main shotgun. It shoots very well and is very nice looking. Not sure of age. I also have a 1932 Win Model 62. It was the first gun i shot and i still do.