Sign in to follow this  
Burger

Husband Wife Ownership

I have a question regarding gun transportation and ownership, both my wife and I have our Firearms I.D. Card and both have purchased guns under our names, she owns some I own some, here is the question, when she goes to the range to shoot, does she need anything more then her FID to shoot if the gun was registered in my name and the other way around as well? We both live in the same home.

Thanks, we have both LR and Handguns

She doesn't even need the FPID. The firearms purchaser ID Card is for purchase only. It has nothing to do with possession. Some ranges might have their own policy on shooters needing an FID card, but it is not the law.

As a side note, You need either a FPID, a pistol purchase permit, or a Carry Permit to buy ammo in NJ however.

This is a really interesting question. If looking at the law explicitly, my opinion is that the owner of the gun has to be with the firearm. But I dont know. I think this is a lawyer question, and all depends on how finely you want to slice the law.

She doesn't even need the FPID. The firearms purchaser ID Card is for purchase only. It has nothing to do with possession. Some ranges might have their own policy on shooters needing an FID card, but it is not the law.

But it does show proof of ownership along with pistol permits.

Pistol permits are in fact proof of ownership. If you had them inherited, I would carry a copy of the will. But the question is... once again, whats easier.. carry your FID and copy of pistol permit or do you want to be the test case?

Once again, question of whats more appropriate and in what case would you rather be? Righteous or effective?

I have guns, and Lynn has guns. If I go to the range alone, I leave her guns home, and vice versa. I'm of the belief that bringing her guns would be considered an "illegal transfer" under NJ laws, and would rather not take that chance. If I want to shoot something of hers, I bring her along. It usually doesn't take too much convincing.

But it does show proof of ownership along with pistol permits.

Pistol permits are in fact proof of ownership. If you had them inherited, I would carry a copy of the will. But the question is... once again, whats easier.. carry your FID and copy of pistol permit or do you want to be the test case?

Once again, question of whats more appropriate and in what case would you rather be? Righteous or effective?

What about legally obtained, without any paperwork?

The OP's original question wasn't about demonstrating ownership, it was about transportation and possession. If you can prove that a pistol you're in possession of doesn't belong to you, how is that useful?

The OP's original question wasn't about demonstrating ownership, it was about transportation and possession. If you can prove that a pistol you're in possession of doesn't belong to you, how is that useful?

My point, although probably not very clear is that the side of the road is no place to demonstrate ownership. I own guns that were 100% legally obtained yet I have no paperwork for them. A firearms Purchaser ID does not prove possession. A pistol permit does if the serial numbers match but that really doesn't matter either. If you are transporting them in a legal fashion to a legal destination, you do not need to prove ownership.

On the State Police Page in FAQ's:

Q6.

How do you transport firearms?

A6.

Firearms shall be carried unloaded and contained in a closed and fastened case, gunbox, securely tied package, or locked in the trunk of the automobile in which it is being transported.

Ammunition must be transported in a separate container and locked in the trunk of the automobile in which it is being transported.If the vehicle does not have a compartment separate from the passenger compartment, the firearm must be in a locked container other than the vehicle's glove compartment or console.

My point, although probably not very clear is that the side of the road is no place to demonstrate ownership. I own guns that were 100% legally obtained yet I have no paperwork for them. A firearms Purchaser ID does not prove possession. A pistol permit does if the serial numbers match but that really doesn't matter either. If you are transporting them in a legal fashion to a legal destination, you do not need to prove ownership.

+1, even if the long guns were acquired in NJ, the COE would be the proof of ownership, with the bill of sale providing the backup.

On the State Police Page in FAQ's:

Q6.

How do you transport firearms?

A6.

Firearms shall be carried unloaded and contained in a closed and fastened case, gunbox, securely tied package, or locked in the trunk of the automobile in which it is being transported.

Ammunition must be transported in a separate container and locked in the trunk of the automobile in which it is being transported.If the vehicle does not have a compartment separate from the passenger compartment, the firearm must be in a locked container other than the vehicle's glove compartment or console.

Actually.. this is the best practice.. but the locked container other than the vehicle's glove compartment is a portion of a federal law, not NJ state law. What you are reading is the NJSP recommendation, which apparently is taken from the interstate transport law. Unloaded, and securely encased will suffice in NJ (not crossing state borders).

can a husband and wife have dual ownership of a firearm

You are asking questions that can only be answered by an attorney competent in the area of family law and community property.

As far as the NJ laws governing firearms, no as there is no accommodation for duel ownership on any documents relating to purchasing.

As far as the NJ laws governing firearms, no as there is no accommodation for duel ownership on any documents relating to purchasing.

duel = a prearranged combat between two persons, fought with deadly weapons according to an accepted code of procedure, esp. to settle a private quarrel. ie: Aaron Burr killed Alexander Hamilton in a duel.

dual = composed or consisting of two people, items, parts, etc., together; twofold; double: dual ownership; dual controls on a plane.