It just shows how much confusion there is about NJ knife laws. I have no idea if I can or cannot legally have a pocket knife on me.

Perhaps you could be so kind as to explain what the circumstances are that make it OK or not OK ?

Any person who knowingly has in his possession any other

weapon under circumstances not manifestly appropriate for

such lawful uses as it may have is guilty of a crime of

the fourth degree.

there is your operative language...... If you're committing a crime and have a pocketknife..yeah you're going to get charged, if you're walking down the wtreet with your boy Scout folder in your pocket, no, you are not going to get arrested.

Is a crime of the fourth degree considered a felony?

NJ doesn't call them felonies. In NJ we have Disorderly Person's Offenses which are basically misdemeanors and Crimes, basically felonies. which are of the 1st, 2nd, 3rd, or 4th degree. So basically yes a fourth degree crime could be considered a "felony."

Only in Jersey would carrying an knife (in most cases) be a felony.

I don't see where it says that.

Any person who knowingly has in his possession any other

weapon under circumstances not manifestly appropriate for

such lawful uses as it may have is guilty of a crime of

the fourth degree.

What lawful purpose doe's one have to carry an 5" folding knife walking down a street in Jersey?

not manifestly appropriate for

such lawful uses

You are missing the point. There is no justification to say it is used in an unlawful manner. Once again, you are trying to set a precedent without the corresponding case law.

That being said, if one decides to walk down the main street with a Kabar exposed, I'd have a reasonable explanation why. Common sense prevails and it just may avoid some unnecessary entanglements. Is the explanation of "self defense" going to work? Maybe, maybe not as a small folding knife might do the same thing without the associated alarm of the population. So in short, yes there is some grat area.

such lawful uses

You are missing the point. There is no justification to say it is used in an unlawful manner. Once again, you are trying to set a precedent without the corresponding case law.

That being said, if one decides to walk down the main street with a Kabar exposed, I'd have a reasonable explanation why. Common sense prevails and it just may avoid some unnecessary entanglements. Is the explanation of "self defense" going to work? Maybe, maybe not as a small folding knife might do the same thing without the associated alarm of the population. So in short, yes there is some grat area.

So could one carry a 24" machete and when stopped from the police respond that there looking to cut overgrown brush on abandoned property? :dance:

such lawful uses

So could one carry a 24" machete and when stopped from the police respond that there looking to cut overgrown brush on abandoned property? :dance:

Works for me. You really can't come up with a reason for having a 5" folding knife?

I read an article in some knife magazine a few years ago and it was not pertaining to NJ law but knife laws in general. It brought up the point that a knife is not necessarily considered a weapon. However it said if you were carring one and a police officer asks why , to say "self defense" would classify the knife as a weapon because it is your intended use. Again they were not talking about the state of New Jersey but I would try to come up with a different reason for having the knife in my pocket.

I would try to come up with a different reason for having the knife in my pocket.

Different responses to "Why do you have a knife in your pocket":

I like to peel oranges with it.

I open my mail with it.

I stock the supplies at my company and use it to open boxes.

It's more effective than a toothpick.

NJ doesn't call them felonies

They are called indictable offenses.

I was told if the blade is longer than 2 1/2 inches is illegal

No, once again, that is wrong.

However it said if you were caring one and a police officer asks why , to say "self defense" would classify the knife as a weapon

I hate to break it to you but everything you read in print or the INTERNET isn't necessarily true.

So could one carry a 24" machete and when stopped from the police respond that there looking to cut overgrown brush on abandoned property

Up until the point of the abandoned property you would be OK. Unless you could show that you had permission to enter onto the property that reasoning wouldn't hold up. While some items can be considered abandoned under the law, property is not one of them.

The problem is we don't know better, and we can't decipher the written laws. I have a friend who is a Superior Court Judge in Newark. Sometimes I run things by him that are posted on this site by Police Officers and his take on the law is not always the same as theirs.

I assume all on this site are law abiding citizens and we ask these questions because we do not want to do anyting illegal.

You know what Rich..forget it, these guys know better than the ACTUAL cops who are responding.

Not to insult you or pick a fight. Not all cops are as knowledgeble as others. While some go out of their way to be informed and keep abreast of the laws, or have been on the job long enough to experience and learn about a wide variety of issues, Boots just out of the academy or with a personal prejudice about a situation may not be correct. Just as Title 39 codes. I have learned stuff from Old Timers and friends that Officers with less experience were wrong about. Same holds true with interpretation of gun laws. I have quite a few friends who are Cops and I bet I can get a few different answers to the same question.

Again, I am not saying you are wrong, but we have all had experiences with less than informed Police Officers. There are so many myths out there that we all have been told since we were kids, it is difficult sometimes to know Legal definitions of right from wrong.

You and Rich breaking down questions and answering them for us has been very helpful. I know I have learned a few things I either did not know or was wrong about.

I thank you for your participation and professional insight.

FWIW, I carry my pocket knife all the time. Truth is, i kinda feel naked when I leave my house and forget to put it in. i use it everyday for a wide variety of applications. I think having a sensible length knife and not displaying it like Rambo will go a long way in determing intent. Persanlly, I don't understand why autos otf are soooo dangerous. I can flick open my little non-spring assisted pocket folder just as fast and direct as a microtech. Same blade length, single edge, same blade material and yet the little auto is very very bad to own in the country. Go figure.

That's just it I guess.. a lot of us do, and don't give it a second thought. Then you try to read the laws, and, not surprisingly, they're vague, and you start second guessing yourself and wondering if you're somehow breaking the law.

To complicate things even more for me, I work in the city. I've carried 2 knives clipped to each front pocket for the better part of 10 years and never gave it a second thought. Then, in the last year or so I read a number of posts on other forums from people that were supposedly cops or people that got "into trouble" saying that having a knife clipped to your pocket can get you in trouble in NYC... That there was some "administrative code" about clipped knives. On top of that, if a cop can flick a knife open, it's considered a gravity knife (even tho it's really not) and you can get jammed up for that. I dunno. It's all very complicated and confusing. And the "errornet" certainly doesn't help things...

At least from what I've read here, I feel better about carrying a knife in NJ. I just may have to scale it back and leave one of the two at home cuz I'm not sure I can come up with a "reasonable" reason for having 2...

I had to go to the county courthouse in Easton, PA to get my Doe Permits, and there's a no weapons sign at the entrance with a sheriff there. I asked him if I should leave my pocketknife in my car, and he asked to see it. It was a rather "tacticool" knife, and he said "That's fine, just keep it in your pocket", and let me go through. I spose it might be different if I was going to court, or see a prosecutor, but I was surprised at how level headed and professional he was. I wouldn't have even asked in NJ, as you can't even bring a pocket-knife into six-flags.

ever since I got my current job this past summer I have been carrying a small gerber 2.25" folding knife I bought at Dicks for something like $20. I use it all the time to open packages. That would be my explanation if an officer ever asked about it.

That's just it I guess.. a lot of us do, and don't give it a second thought. Then you try to read the laws, and, not surprisingly, they're vague, and you start second guessing yourself and wondering if you're somehow breaking the law.

To complicate things even more for me, I work in the city. I've carried 2 knives clipped to each front pocket for the better part of 10 years and never gave it a second thought. Then, in the last year or so I read a number of posts on other forums from people that were supposedly cops or people that got "into trouble" saying that having a knife clipped to your pocket can get you in trouble in NYC... That there was some "administrative code" about clipped knives. On top of that, if a cop can flick a knife open, it's considered a gravity knife (even tho it's really not) and you can get jammed up for that. I dunno. It's all very complicated and confusing. And the "errornet" certainly doesn't help things...

At least from what I've read here, I feel better about carrying a knife in NJ. I just may have to scale it back and leave one of the two at home cuz I'm not sure I can come up with a "reasonable" reason for having 2...

Pete be VERY! careful about carrying a knife in the big City. 99% of the cops are not going to give you a hard time but the 1% can really F you over. My buddies a NYC cop and the way it works is sort of how you explained it. But it gets worse. Any knife that can be flicked open with a hand is not considered a "gravity knife" by them. But if they can flip it by gravity obviously it is. Also the length of the knife comes into question as well. From what my buddy told me months ago, they supposedly can give you a summons for even having a box cutter on you. Obviously if your in construction etc you have a reasonable reason to have it so you have some ground to stand on. Now this is where it gets screwed up.

If you have any offense against you on the books in NYC. From what I've been told even if its only a moving violation and you get caught with a knife it is AUTOMATICALLY a felony. I usually talk to my buddy every other week so next time I talk to him I will ask him about the whole legality of it but be very careful with the city. They got some weird freaking laws.

As far as Jersey, I don't trust these people so I just decided that I don't have a REAL reason to carry a knife so I'm not going to. I'd love to carry one b/c I'm in Newark all the time but its just not worth the risk bringing it onto school property.

M

Whenever I go into the City, if I remember I bring my Gerber/multi-tool on my belt. I figure it has a lot of practical uses, especially, God forbid, something were to happen while I was there (like 9/11, the blackouts, etc). "Urban survival" is an interesting topic, and I think is just as important, if not more, for megalopolis folk like us.

Is that "ok"? The whole Gerber thing in NYC? Or could that be seen in the same light as say having box cutters?

Idk.. my knife is just a tool, just like the little flashlight that is always in my pocket and my cell phone.. don't leave home without them. Even if I was getting attacked, I would probably resort to my hands and running. I don't have tactical knife training and even if I did, it's likely the perp would have the drop on me.. so in short.. I don't consider my pocketknife a weapon.

I've lived in NYC for most of my life, while growing up our understanding was that a folding knife had to be 4 inches or less to be legal to carry. This goes way back. I carried a buck knife when I was a kid, and later on a 2.5 inch Spyderco. I was never picked up carrying either.

As far as Jersey, I don't trust these people so I just decided that I don't have a REAL reason to carry a knife so I'm not going to. I'd love to carry one b/c I'm in Newark all the time but its just not worth the risk bringing it onto school property.

Matt with your luck and driving you should always have a knife with you. You might need to cut your seat belt if you get into an accident. Since Newark is a high crime area I wouldn't leave in the car for fear of theft. :D