coldsolderjoint

Netflix Streaming

I'm considering getting Netflix and watching some of the streaming stuff on the blue-ray player. Does anyone have it? The TV is LED 1080p 55". I have FiOS 25/15, I've read that the better connection you have, the better the quality of the encoding from Netflix. Does anyone have it and how is it?

I watched some streaming blu ray movies on my friend's PS3 the other day before the football games started. The quality was pretty awesome, and no hang ups. I'm actually waiting for my free netflix PS3 disc to come in the mail so I can get started myself.

Netflix can stream "HD" content (usually TV shows) but it's no where near blu-ray quality (plus all the sound is in 2.1). Only downside about streaming is that it's mostly older movies rather then new releases however they have just about every major TV season known to man which is nice

I stream Netflix thru my xbox360 - the HD shows look pretty good most of the time. Not bluray quality, but pretty good. My bluray player also has the netflix functionality built into it, but I've only used it once. The interface on the xbox is much better imho, but my bluray player is at least a year old, so maybe the newer ones have better interfaces.

The selection of stream-able movies/shows is decent. Last time I checked it was at least 10,000 titles. I'm sure they've doubled that since then. Like SpecOps said, the newest stuff generally isn't stream-able right away, if at all. But it's great for catching TV series you missed or old shows you haven't seen in a while. I've been re-watching Jericho lately, and a couple BBC comedies like The IT Crowd.

We got Netflix for the DVD's, but the streaming is a nice bonus. The library for streaming is severely limited, though, as compared to the DVD's. There's a lot of 'fluff' to claim 10k titles, or whatever it is now. That said, there are some worthwhile things there.

I'm using a Roku box (http://www.roku.com) to watch the streaming stuff on the HDTV, as I don't have a PS3 or a blue-ray.