rauchman

M&P advice.......... part 2

Greetings all,

After work last night, I headed over to the Bullet Hole and bought a used M&P40 w/ factory night sights for $530. The pistol was practically new and IT CAME W/ FACTORY NIGHT SIGHTS!!! I stress this because I understand it's extremely rare to find M&P's w/ factory night sights. I think the previous owner was an LEO.

If you're looking for an M&P9C, Bullet Hole had to have at least 10 in their display case, along w/ a few M&P40C's and 1 M&P45C.....no fullsize pistols. I found this surprising. I was originally going there w/ the intent to purchase an M&P9C, but holding it again, it was nice, but didn't give me tinglies. They had a slew of pistols in the used display case, and the Force was w/ me when I noticed the used M&P40 tucked away in the back. Some other notables in the used section...CZ P01, Kahr P9, HK P2000SK 9mm and 40, 3 - G19's of various generations. I have 2 G19's already and was moderately tempted to get another one.

I bought a couple of boxes of ammo and hit the range. Some thoughts....

It took about a 1 1/2 boxes of ammo to get familiar w/ the trigger break, but still have a bit to go to A.) smooth out the grittyness in the trigger and B.) take out the lateral movement I get as the trigger breaks. On the last 1/2 box of ammo, I was starting to put some good groups together. Had a best of roughly 1.75" for 5 rounds at 15 yards, typically averaging about 3" for 5 rounds at 15 yards. I'm sure I can get the average down to 2" or less and the best down to somewhere around 1", with lots of dry fire practice and range time. I must have put another 200 dry fires on the pistol when I got home.

I used to own a G22 and felt this was a good pistol to compare to. I LOVE the grip on the G19, but never warmed up to the 3rd gen fullsize grip w/ finger grooves. I never felt the G22 worked for me that well. Comparatively, the M&P40 felt excellent in my hand. I still haven't finalized on the interchangeable backstraps. I took some time last night and tried all 3. I wish the middle one had the palm swell of the largest one. I did some drills at home and brought the pistol from ready low to line of sight. Very intuitive feel when bringing to line of sight and the sights line up perfectly. Much more intuitive for me as compared to the G22. I'm learning, I'm a big fan of pistols with a high grip in the web of the hand area. The big difference as compared to the G22 is recoil control management. The M&P has EXCELLENT recoil control and 2nd shot recovery as compared to the G22.... at least for me. I was shooting American Eagle 155grns at the range last night. Advertised velocity on the box was 1150fps and energy was 465 ft/lbs. I've never fired .40 loads this light (usually it's Blaser 180's), but I really thought I was shooting a 9mm. Recoil was very light, especially for a .40, which I usually find snappy as compared to a 9mm or .45.

The only niggle I have about the pistol is ....... the trigger. Yes, the trigger is gritty (but I've noticed it's smoothed out some already), reset is not anywhere near a Glock, but really, it's the trigger shape that bothers me most. At the very bottom of the trigger, it feels like there is a bit of a hook and I noticed the bottom of my trigger finger felt raw when I went to bed last night. At one point, I had pulled out a G19 to compare against. I never thought I'd say that I prefer a Glock trigger over anything, but so far, I find the Glock trigger superior to the XD and now the M&P. Not a deal breaker at all, but noticeable.

On another note............. the gent in the booth next to me had a G26 and I asked to fire 5. He was kind enough to let me do so. I think he was a new'ish shooter as his groups looked more like shotgun patterns at 7 yards or so. I plugged the 5 rounds into 1". Have to say, my next pistol is the G26. Dare I say, I may even like it better than my vaunted G19. I couldn't believe I was shooting a sub compact pistol. EXCELLENT recoil characterists and control. If anybody is ever selling a G26, please keep my in mind!!!

Pics to follow by tomorrow...

Thanks,

Ken

Congrats ken. I am going to BH Friday to finally shoot my 9FS.

Very tough to find factory nights sights (Trijicons btw) as S&W only makes them for LEOs now.

I hear the trigger does take some time to smooth out the grittiness.

After I shoot mine a BUNCH and become a better shooter (still a noob), I will probably send it off to Burwell for a trigger job.

The trigger itself doesn't bother me.

Glad you liked the 26, it was just not for me (for my 1st handgun anyway).

Maybe one day when I am much more proficient, I will learn to enjoy it more.

If we ever get to carry in NJ tho, I wouldn't mind checking out an Springfield EMP :)

I also can't wait to see the M&P 9c on Friday at BH as I have not held one yet.

I never thought I'd say that I prefer a Glock trigger over anything, but so far, I find the Glock trigger superior to the XD and now the M&P. Not a deal breaker at all, but noticeable.

This was exactly my impression as well. The trigger reset in particular is much crisper and more noticeable on the 19s than the M&P. The M&P feels.. well.. vague.. for lack of a better term. But like you said, it's def not a deal breaker. Both are great guns.

Congrats on the new purchase

HEY, you owe me 20 bucks!!! :evil: You saved $20 between the XD and the M&P! WTF??? :lol::lol::lol: I guess thats my payback for all the 10's. :oops:

Congrats on the new purchase, we gotta get together for a shoot, MAYBE I will let you shoot my new (to me) XD9 Tac. ;)

... as promised.... pics

The gun...

P1010017.jpg

Target at 15 yards.

Top group was best of the night. When shooting the bottom group, I started getting a little bit of flinch and the guy shooting the G26 in the port to my left, had his shells raining down on me. Kind of distracting. Hoping to get these groups down quite a bit w/ practice.

P1010019.jpg

Congrats ken. I am going to BH Friday to finally shoot my 9FS.

Thanks Mike...

Once you get used to it....

Send it out to Dan Burwell for a trigger job.....

I may just do that. Want to give it time w/ the stock trigger 1st

It is rather annoying you can't purchase a M&P with night sights. You were lucky and an excellent choice.

Thanks and i agree. I figure I saved myself about $100 + over new.

Congratulations and welcome to the cult of M&P.

Thanks. So far, so good. May get more range time this Friday at the Bullet Hole, unfortunately after Mikeyboyee is going to be there.

I never thought I'd say that I prefer a Glock trigger over anything, but so far, I find the Glock trigger superior to the XD and now the M&P. Not a deal breaker at all, but noticeable.

This was exactly my impression as well. The trigger reset in particular is much crisper and more noticeable on the 19s than the M&P. The M&P feels.. well.. vague.. for lack of a better term. But like you said, it's def not a deal breaker. Both are great guns.

Congrats on the new purchase

Well put about the vagueness. I may try the home trigger job as listed on Burwell's site and see how that goes. Also, it must be me, but I've put in A LOT of time training myself on my G19's and it feels instinctual. I like the M&P a lot, it has a lot of potential, but I know I have a long way to go on it. I know that after some time w/ it, my groups will shrink considerably.

HEY, you owe me 20 bucks!!! :evil: You saved $20 between the XD and the M&P! WTF??? :lol: :lol: :lol: I guess thats my payback for all the 10's. :oops:

Congrats on the new purchase, we gotta get together for a shoot, MAYBE I will let you shoot my new (to me) XD9 Tac. ;)

Hahaha. That $20 went toward the raping I got at BH for ammo. $22 for a box of American Eagle 155grn .40.... ouch!!! I also picked up 2 Magpul Ar15 15rnd mags, based on the 20rnd straight body. Have you had a chance to fondle the XD? How are you liking it?