Radek

Primers & powder - local purchase?

I am about to place an order for a Dillon 550B and preparing to buy reload supplies. Need to buy small and large pistol & rifle primers. Also powder for same. To start, I plan to reload 9mm and .40; Later FN 5.7, .38, .357 (magnum primers), 7.62x39, .223. Does anyone here reload 5.56?

I know primers are in short supply right now and shipping comes out expensive w/ hazmat fees. Since I am just stating w/ reloading, I don't want to buy huge quantities (many K's of primers) yet, so I would think buying/picking up may save me some.

What retailers you recommend within 2 hour drive from Woodbridge? I am thinking PA, the next free state nearby ...

btw. I am thinking of buying the Dillon press from Brian Enos; any alternative sources that can save me some money? I have searched the forum and came up w/ the name Vinny in Freehold. But I couldn't find any pricing. Apparently, Dillon dealers are not allowed to divulge prices ... Can someone who has purchased the 550B, send me a PM with pricing they got recently?

Thanks in advance for your recommendations on best dealers/suppliers.

You should just call Vinny up and tell him what you are going to pay, and he'd probably be able to tell you if he could beat that or not. He's a stand-up guy, and seems to be able to do a good job on pricing. I'd give him a quick call; won't take long and if he can't beat your price he won't mind you buying somewhere else...

t n t reloading in stockerton pa . - off rte # 33 about 45 minutes from woodbridge - call first -

If you are going to load 5.56 on a Dillon, you will be using the press as a single stage. Prep the cases beforehand. Deprime, clean the primer pocket, resize, trim, chamfer and re-prime. Then store them for future use. Depending on the use, you will be loading using a Quick change kit of single measure of each powder load. My match loads are all singularly loaded with each charge individually measured using a scale and powder trickle. Field loads are loaded using the Quick Change and Dillon powder measure. To do it that way, ball powder should be used.

If you plan on loading handgun calibers, don't bother getting small quantities of primers, bullets and powder. You will be out before long and trying to find more supplies. Get handgun powder in at least a four pound jug. I have about ten thousand primer right now and get a few thousand more every trip to the store.

Before you start loading rounds in large quantities, MAKE SURE THEY WORK. Something as simple as a OAL out of specs, a powder charge too high or too low can make life miserable if you have to disassemble a thousand rounds of bad ammo.

radek for powder and primers I recommend

Gene Salomon

142 Yellowbrook Rd

Farmingdale NJ 07727

732-938-2189

I have been stocking up on powder from Gene the last few weeks and he has whatever I asked for. Primers he has some and limits you to 1,000 per size. The primers are $33 k. His powder prices are the cheapest around $16-$18 a pound. Bring cash he does not do credit cards.

For the press call Vinny his deal is half the shipping cost Dillon charges and 10% off the cost of the press.

If you are going to load 5.56 on a Dillon, you will be using the press as a single stage. Prep the cases beforehand. Deprime, clean the primer pocket, resize, trim, chamfer and re-prime. Then store them for future use. Depending on the use, you will be loading using a Quick change kit of single measure of each powder load. My match loads are all singularly loaded with each charge individually measured using a scale and powder trickle. Field loads are loaded using the Quick Change and Dillon powder measure. To do it that way, ball powder should be used.

Why is reloading 223 different from 5.56? or is it because one can't buy factory 5.56 brass?

Why is reloading 223 different from 5.56? or is it because one can't buy factory 5.56 brass?

You can shoot 223 in a 5.56 chambered rifle, but not the other way around.

http://ammo.ar15.com/ammo/

except a saiga.. cuz its actually 5.56 but marked .223?

I get that, that's why I got a 5.56 chambered rifle instead of 223 spec.

As a beginner, I have done the reading up to understand the dimensional and other differences between 223 and 5.56 rounds, but my original question was in the context of reloading steps. Are the steps inherently different, or different only because of availability (or lack) of components, etc.?