Sign in to follow this  
Cemeterys Gun Blob

NJ FID Background Check

I recently learned that my driver's license has been suspended in NYS for the past 21 years!! In other words, if I get caught driving in NYS, I'm in the hot seat.

Wouldn't NJ catch this with it's background checks for firearms? Cause I know they review NJ DL status for NJ.

(I called NYS DMV, told them I was shocked to learn this now, and at no time in the past, when NYS or NYC ran my DL did anybody say boo. They summed it up to flaw in the system. They can't explain how all of a sudden this showed up. Long story short, currently in process in correcting this.)

:character-mrt:

I had a similar prob in jersey many years ago. Said I did not pay a parking ticket 5 years prior.

5 calls to DMV idiots yielded nothing and even called the town who said I did pay the ticket.

I looked up the person in charge of DMV and called their office.

Spoke to their aid and she had it cleared up within 2 hours.

Don't bother with DMV. Go right to the top of NY DMV.

Wait, how can your NYS driving license be suspended if you've never had a NYS driving license?

It just means I can't, or shouldn't, drive in NYS. If I get pulled over, and the cop finds out my DL is suspended, I can get arrested, and my car impounded.

Wait, how can your NYS driving license be suspended if you've never had a NYS driving license?

It just means I can't, or shouldn't, drive in NYS. If I get pulled over, and the cop finds out my DL is suspended, I can get arrested, and my car impounded.

Weird. I wonder what DL# the officer would write on your citation.

I get it now-- I wasn't sure what you were trying to say before. My father had this same issue with a different state, and it never came up until down the road as well.

I guess it never flagged because it was with a different database that was NYS specific?

That's weird, they tell you that your DL privileges are suspended in the State and don't send you a bill for the unpaid ticket. I think that if you have a commercial DL you may be in trouble because is national, it will show in your DL record and your insurance premium will be higher.