djg0770

any machinists?

I've got a question that's really directed towards machinists or high end QC guys in factories:

If you had to pick, which would you pick for a 6" dial caliper, with the accuracy required for pistol and rifle reloading, or how would you order the quality of the following three from best to better to good (as I believe none of these can be considered worst), or provide another brand:

Mitutoyo

Starrett

Browne and Sharpe

I like inexpensive tools when they work but I also know the value of a tool I will have for the rest of my life and that will outlive my kids as well... This is not a "cost is no object" question as I am frugal. But I've already spent $20 on a cheap Harbor Freight dial caliper (bought a few years ago before I got into this hobby) and it's just horrible. It's not accurate. Measure the same item 3 times and you're off by 4-6 thousandths each time = fine for gross work, terrible for fine work.

We use Mitutoyo calipers around here. Consistently accurate, year after year. The only time we buy a new one is to replace one that got stolen. As a side note, if you find one on Craigs list or ebay and it's from this area, let me know. heh.

We use Mitutoyo calipers around here. Consistently accurate, year after year. The only time we buy a new one is to replace one that got stolen. As a side note, if you find one on Craigs list or ebay and it's from this area, let me know. heh.

Before or after I buy it Mark?? :lol:

Before or after I buy it Mark?? :lol:

Don't care, maybe he can sell them back to me at a discount :|

Any of those brands are OK. I have 2 Mitutoyo, one for work and the same one at home. The digital ones are good because you can switch from metric to inch and the floating zero point is used more often than you think.

There are some inexpensive digitals that would be fine.

Check the www.mscdirect.com, they may have units on sale. Don't buy a used digital or a vernier scale unit, they aren't what you want to use all the time.

A 0-1 micrometer is also useful and the vernier ones are perfect. I have about 6.

I purchased a lymann 4 years ago, digital read out. one thing i did not notice when i ordered it is that it does not have the manual reading capability, digital read out only, the scale is not even on the slide but i have not had ant problems with it and it works very good, i did still check on it with my starret caliper to be sure..

this is the one i have.

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?p ... ber=154410