rauchman

Right handed shooter, left eye dominant

Greetings all,

I've started trying to do both eyes open when shooting and am becoming quickly aware that I fall into the right handed shooter, left eye dominant category.

Any tips on how to work with this?

Trying to change eye dominance is supposedly do-able, but not easy.

I pretty much do what Mikey does - shoot handguns right handed, and long guns left handed (altho I sometimes switch back to the right hand and just close my left eye - depends on the rifle i'm shooting).

One thing that helps me with the hand guns is to slightly move my head to the right so that my chin is near (and sometimes touching) my biceps. This lines up my left eye well behind the sights. The other option is to just move the handgun a little to the left so the sight lines up with your left eye. I find this a little harder to do just because I've been doing the head tilt for years (long before I bought my first gun) and muscle memory kicks in.

With the long guns, you just have to practice shooting with your left hand. I'm SUPER right handed, but switching to lefty wasn't nearly as awkward as I thought it would be once I did it a couple times. I'm at the point now where I can hit all the controls on an AR left handed or right handed without giving it much thought. But again, gotta practice it (dry obviously).

Good luck

I posted this same question recently. As a new shooter, starting with pistol, I close my right eye. I am very left eye dominant. I didn't know how bad the vision had become in my right eye until I tried shoooting a carbine at S.Shot. (OK, I knew but didn't give it much thought)

Here's my post on the subject: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=4420

I went to an eye doctor last week and found out I am 20/80 in my right eye with a touch of astigmatism(sp?). I will have Lasik next week, than I will learn to shoot again. If I need to, I will go pirate and use a patch or some masking tape on the safety glasses. If I can see the target, I figure I have a much better chance to maybe hit it :shock:

Myself, I just can't imagine trying to shoot lefty, I really can't do much with my left hand :whistle:

I'm also cross-dominant and it doesn't seem to affect my handgun shooting much (I shoot them right-handed). Rifles are another matter entirely. I've also read that for most people changing eye dominance is more difficult than learning to shoot weak-hand; although in this case one has to consider the poor selection of lefty rifles on the market.

I'm also cross-dominant and it doesn't seem to affect my handgun shooting much (I shoot them right-handed). Rifles are another matter entirely. I've also read that for most people changing eye dominance is more difficult than learning to shoot weak-hand; although in this case one has to consider the poor selection of lefty rifles on the market.

Poor selection? Not really, I've got two (Ruger and Remington) and both are beautiful rifles.

Poor selection? Not really, I've got two (Ruger and Remington) and both are beautiful rifles.

And yet compared to the variety of right-handed models, your choice is undeniably limited.