Sign in to follow this  
BCeagle

Remington 700 misfire

Anyone ever had anything similar happen to them or am I insane. I was at Cherry Ridge today and I was about to shoot my very 1st round through my new remington 700 sps tac in .308. Gun has the safety on and I put a round in, closed the bolt and when I flipped the safety to fire the gun discharged. Holy crap, scared the hell out of me and hurt my thumb from the recoil. Thank god I had it pointed down range. I'm going to email Remington about after I get a chance to get the rifle from the car and check it out but was curious if anyone else had it happen.

PS: I didnt try it again to see what would happen because it scared the hell out of me.

correct, known issue on some remington 700.

But it is a bolt action, i dont use the safety on mine, just keep the bolt open, unloaded until ready to fire.

I realize for hunting you need to be ready, but then again, you cant rifle hunt in nj anyway.

I havent tryed it mine yet.

I'm going to check it out tonight after the kids are asleep. I am going to try dry firing with the safety on and then move it to fire to see what happens. I'll tell you what happens tonight after I take a look at it. I am actually really worried about it, I guess this is why we follow all the safety rules. I had planned to use it hunting in pa and don't want any risks.

BCeagle, did you pull the trigger while the safety was on? I have read of people doing that and then the gun would fire when the safety was pushed to off. Read about a woamn who shot her son that way.

I saw that in Montana, thankfully I only have a bruised thumb.

correct, known issue on some remington 700.

But it is a bolt action, i dont use the safety on mine, just keep the bolt open, unloaded until ready to fire.

I realize for hunting you need to be ready, but then again, you cant rifle hunt in nj anyway.

I havent tryed it mine yet.

Yours is OK Maks, I used it whan sighting it in.

Its odd that they blame the trigger, the trigger wont budge unless the rifle was a round in it and safety is off. Waiting for 9 to call Remington, they better not give me some one time thing BS.

UPDATE:

Remington said they dont know of any problems with the new trigger. Asked how far Gander Mountain was from me and when I said over an hour they said they would ship me a label to send it in for repair.

I had that problem with a dry fire, I was worried, but at the range, and in the woods, no issues, so I was figuring it was because I had a round in the bolt? I don't know, now I will be overly cautious. Glad I saw this posting, so I have an idea when I take it out again. Mine is a Rem 700 30-06.

I just ran mine through the paces - SPS Tactical in .308

I usually do not use the safety because all of my shooting has been at the range. I typically am loading a single round at a time and firing.

I tried it with an empty chamber, safety on, safety off - No problem

I tried safety on, pull trigger, safety off - no problem

Then I tried all the combos with a spent shell in the chamber and did not experience any problem. But I will be cautious and experiment more when I am at the range with a live round (and the barrel pointed down range).

By the way - you have a GREAT gun and very accurate right out of the box.