jermz1987

Saiga 223?

Just out of curiosity, Does anyone own one of these? If so..Have any pics? I'm a little interested in them. I see that the 7.62 model is a little cheaper then the 223. Which is cheaper to shoot and easier to maintain? It seems like it would be a good alternative for someone on a budget.

• Like 1

Just out of curiosity, Does anyone own one of these? If so..Have any pics? I'm a little interested in them. I see that the 7.62 model is a little cheaper then the 223. Which is cheaper to shoot and easier to maintain? It seems like it would be a good alternative for someone on a budget.

I don't have a saiga currently (next AK buy ;) ) but i do own a wasr in 7.62 and an AR in 5.56 and trust me 7.62x39 is much cheaper than 5.56. Also, if your gonna buy an AK of any type i feel it should be the true AK calibers (7.62x39 or 5.45x39) of course this is only my .02.

I don't have a saiga currently (next AK buy ;) ) but i do own a wasr in 7.62 and an AR in 5.56 and trust me 7.62x39 is much cheaper than 5.56. Also, if your gonna buy an AK of any type i feel it should be the true AK calibers (7.62x39 or 5.45x39) of course this is only my .02.

agree with nick %100 but i have had two schools of thought..

a) buy the 7.62 x 39 round.. get a little more punch.. cheaper ammo than the other calibers offered.. and true AK round..

b) but the flip side to that is this.. the ammo is cheaper.. SO if things go to shit.. OR the importation of ammo becomes overly regulated.. that round MAY become difficult AND more expensive to come across, as it did when things got really hot with the firearms and ammo buying frenzy..

so if you want it chambered in a round that you will ALWAYS be able to come across go 5.56 as that round is produced domestically and pretty readily available.. if you are not worried about that i would go 7.62 i have owned and worked on several.. and i ended up keeping the 7.62 and passed on the 5.56...

Get a 5.45x39(AK-74) and shoot more accurately then the 7.62x39 and cheaper then both 7.62x39 and 5.56 when buying

surplus tins which are very abundant right now.

Classicarms.us chose from any of the 3 calibers for $339.00

P.S.

They also have an amazing deal on a Norinco Mak-90, one of the best all around AK variants there is.

It's NJ legal except for the magazine of course, at $320.00 it's a steal, If I did not already have one I would

be all over that.

I went with the 5.45x39 version when they first came out, because ammo is REAL cheap (~$130/1080 for corrosive - ~$150/750 for non-corrosive). 5.45 barely has any recoil. This is subjective, but to me it feels like less recoil than a .223/5.56, which isn't that much to begin with. It's a fun little gun, and pretty accurate for what it is.

Unfortunately, I can't find mags (even the 10 rounders) for it ANYWHERE! I've shot it twice, and now it just sits in the back of the safe. That said, not everyone is like me, and you may not have the requirement of a minimum of 10 mags :D

I went with the 5.45x39 version when they first came out, because ammo is REAL cheap (~$130/1080 for corrosive - ~$150/750 for non-corrosive). 5.45 barely has any recoil. This is subjective, but to me it feels like less recoil than a .223/5.56, which isn't that much to begin with. It's a fun little gun, and pretty accurate for what it is.

Unfortunately, I can't find mags (even the 10 rounders) for it ANYWHERE! I've shot it twice, and now it just sits in the back of the safe. That said, not everyone is like me, and you may not have the requirement of a minimum of 10 mags :D

http://www.dinzagarms.com/mags/mags.html

tapco sells 30 round variants.. i wonder if paul (arms and ammo) could pin them some how for you.. if not contact dinzag that guy is really good with saiga stuff and could maybe throw something together..

5.45 only looks a hair longer than .223 i wonder...

Thanks for the suggestion.. I've toyed around with the idea of having someone pin some Bulgy 5.45 mags, but, honestly, and this is just me being paranoid, but I don't want to deal with any full length mags for the Saiga. An AK-type rifle draws enough attention on its own. A big banana mag (even pinned) will just make it worse. It's silly, I know, but not worth the headache for me.

Thanks for the suggestion.. I've toyed around with the idea of having someone pin some Bulgy 5.45 mags, but, honestly, and this is just me being paranoid, but I don't want to deal with any full length mags for the Saiga. An AK-type rifle draws enough attention on its own. A big banana mag (even pinned) will just make it worse. It's silly, I know, but not worth the headache for me.

ok fair enough.. then how about this guy...

http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?showtopic=49247

i am a member over there and its a pretty decent site..

You are the f***in man! Gonna go sign up there now :)

good luck with it man.. i love my Saiga.. that is a great site for surfing for Saiga info.. 8-)

good luck with it man.. i love my Saiga.. that is a great site for surfing for Saiga info.. 8-)

nice site for sure been reading that stuff since last week, some really nice looking converted saigas there, i liked them so much that i brought my saiga 762.39 from pk90 today, thanks! nicely made rifle, i didnt expect it to have such nice workmanship for the price. cant wait to start the conversion process...

nice site for sure been reading that stuff since last week, some really nice looking converted saigas there, i liked them so much that i brought my saiga 762.39 from pk90 today, thanks! nicely made rifle, i didnt expect it to have such nice workmanship for the price. cant wait to start the conversion process...

if you get the chance.. shoot it with that garbage stock FCG so that you can see the HUGE difference after you convert it.. i would also really recommend getting the replacement FCG from Dinzag Arm...good to work with..