Sign in to follow this  
GoNRA

Any difference in LEO and CO CCW

I was just wondering if there was any difference in the CCW's issued to law enforcement vs correctional officers. Also if you are a federal CO do you have less strict laws than a local or state CO.

I was just wondering if there was any difference in the CCW's issued to law enforcement vs correctional officers. Also if you are a federal CO do you have less strict laws than a local or state CO.

Just to be accurate, the is no "CCW" permit issued for LEO's you either ARE or you are Not, if you Are, then your ID covers you. CO's were always a Gray Area, and different coutnies have different rules on wether or not they can carry off-duty.

CO's are covered under LEOSA if they are authorized (even if for limited purpose) to carry a firearm, AND they have statutory power of arrest. Example, if they can legally place a visitor under arrest for violations committed on facility grounds, then the CO's fall under the definition of qualified LEO under LEOSA.

CO's are covered under LEOSA if they are authorized (even if for limited purpose) to carry a firearm, AND they have statutory power of arrest. Example, if they can legally place a visitor under arrest for violations committed on facility grounds, then the CO's fall under the definition of qualified LEO under LEOSA.

Problem is that Nj doesnt recognize LEOSA for NJ Officers. While an NJ SLEOII could carry legally anywhere outside NJ, they cant carry off-duty here. NJ Retired LEO's still have toi go through the application process for the CCW upon retirement, even though under LEOSA it should not be required.

While an NJ SLEOII could carry legally anywhere outside NJ

that is still debatable. Up here where part-time is much more common (there is no Class I & II), out of state carry is not permitted without a valid permit to that state. N one has tested it as of yet.

While an NJ SLEOII could carry legally anywhere outside NJ

that is still debatable. Up here where part-time is much more common (there is no Class I & II), out of state carry is not permitted without a valid permit to that state. N one has tested it as of yet.

In the other direction Rich, Down south where specials are VERY common, they are credentialed the same as full-timers, and seem to be fully covered under LEOSA. It's one of those "Gray Areas" again.

The issue was pretty much settled with the changes to PFRS when part timers are no longer eligiable for entry. that is a requirement. As Class II's don't have constant employment in many cases, they are not employed by any agency.

Each state handles the isse differently. Up here they have part time state troopers. (not the same as state police). But in NJ I think it's clear cut.

The issue was pretty much settled with the changes to PFRS when part timers are no longer eligiable for entry. that is a requirement. As Class II's don't have constant employment in many cases, they are not employed by any agency.

Each state handles the isse differently. Up here they have part time state troopers. (not the same as state police). But in NJ I think it's clear cut.

NOT According to that Moron Helicopter Pilot on NJlawman...I Invited him to come and be the test case, but he didnt seem to want to find out for himself.

do you have to renew your credential after some time or they are for life?

You have to maintain the same qualification as required by the state you reside. NJ AG's rules state that a retired Carry Permit must be maintained at a cost of $50.00 per year. this rewquirement is being debated but for now the AG calls the shot.

As far as a "permit" there is nothing beyond the individuals departmental identification card.

If this has an expiration date it would be at the deaprtment's descretion. My department has one on the current officers. Retired did not have an expiration date. For myself, I qualify under the state of NH guidelines twice a year. I am issued a document stating I have met the standards as stated by the NH POST (Police Officer's Standards and Training)

There are other rewquirements and limitations but I won't go into them here as it can get a bit long.

Problem is that Nj doesnt recognize LEOSA for NJ Officers. While an NJ SLEOII could carry legally anywhere outside NJ, they cant carry off-duty here. NJ Retired LEO's still have toi go through the application process for the CCW upon retirement, even though under LEOSA it should not be required.

Departments can prohibit officers from carrying department owned weapons, but not their own, under LEOSA.

NJ's carry permit for retired officers meets the requirements set forth under LEOSA, which include annual qualification and certification that the individual is eligible under the Act. So yes, under LEOSA it is still required.

Departments can prohibit officers from carrying department owned weapons, but not their own, under LEOSA.

NJ's carry permit for retired officers meets the requirements set forth under LEOSA, which include annual qualification and certification that the individual is eligible under the Act. So yes, under LEOSA it is still required.

Tell that to Union County Prosecutor's Office, they've been advised that if they are found carrying a weapon out of state they'll be fired for Insubordination.

Are they all PTC certified? My only connection with them has been with the Task Force in Hudson County but they are all officers on loan from other agencies. No restriction.

Most NJ departments don't issue handguns. they are personally owned and purchased based on departmental guidelines. While free to buy whatever they want, only approved handguns can be carried under the agencies regulations. One main requirement is that the individual must be qualified under the state guidelines as issued by the AG's office. Any non-approved handgun is not going to fall under that clause. So in essance, regardless of who actually owns the firearm, they are all "departmental" handguns.

I have an acquaintance who chose to purchase a Sig as an off-duty weapon, to replace his G26. For him to carry that specific handgun, he had to qualify with it under his department's standards and fill out some paperwork. Its probably been said already, but that's my personal experience with a LEO who carries an off-duty/CCW.

Wow didn't realize it was such a gray area topic..

Many areas are still not totally understood because it is relatively recent legislation and mostly untested in the courts. Recent attempts have been made to clarify some of those areas.

Wow didn't realize it was such a gray area topic..

Many areas are still not totally understood because it is relatively recent legislation and mostly untested in the courts. Recent attempts have been made to clarify some of those areas.

It has been tested in courts in NY, NJ, as well as the federal courts. The attorney who has argued this law in court (successfully) more than anyone else is Steve Mannion. He hosts a seminar on this law which I attended. As of November, he was waiting for the first test case of an active LEO being fired for carrying off duty.

Information about his seminar can be found here:

http://hr218leosa.com/