renderfarmer

Moving to NJ from CA with a bunch of guns and ammo...

Hi everyone. I currently live in San Francisco and am going to be moving to New Jersey to live with my fiance later this year.

I'm a bit confused about NJ gun laws and was hoping I could get some specific questions answered.

1 - When I move to NJ, with firearms that I purchased from an FFL in CA, do I need to declare them or require permits to possess them?

2- Are any of my firearms illegal in NJ?

- LMT AR-15, 14.5" barrel (Pinned/Welded Flash Hider), LMT SOPMOD stock, Tangodown grip, (Bullet Button to make CA legal).

- Noveske AR-15, 16" barrel (AAC Muzzle Break), Magpul UBR stock, Tangodown grip, (Bullet Button to make CA legal).

- Springfield SOCOM II (no mods).

- Benelli M4 Shotgun (semi-auto) with pistol grip, fixed stock, upgraded to 7 round mag tube.

- Glock 19

- Springfield 1911

3- Is any of the following ammo illegal in NJ?

5.56mm Lake City with steel penetrator (M855)

9mm Federal Hydra Shock

4- Is it legal to possess disassembled Hi Cap mags (I used them when I go shooting out of state)?

I really appreciate your help.

Hi everyone. I currently live in San Francisco and am going to be moving to New Jersey to live with my fiance later this year.

I'm a bit confused about NJ gun laws and was hoping I could get some specific questions answered.

1 - When I move to NJ, with firearms that I purchased from an FFL in CA, do I need to declare them or require permits to possess them?

- LMT AR-15, 14.5" barrel (Pinned/Welded Flash Hider), LMT SOPMOD stock, Tangodown grip, (Bullet Button to make CA legal).

- Noveske AR-15, 16" barrel (AAC Muzzle Break), Magpul UBR stock, Tangodown grip, (Bullet Button to make CA legal).

- Benelli M4 Shotgun (semi-auto) with pistol grip, fixed stock, upgraded to 7 round mag tube.

- Glock 19

- Springfield 1911

9mm Federal Hydra Shock

4- Is it legal to possess disassembled Hi Cap mags (I used them when I go shooting out of state)?

will answer best I can.

Unlike CA, NJ has an evil features list that is tied to a list.

take the easy ones first. You are good on ammo, you can possess it legally, you just cannot commit a crime with hollow points.

it is illegal to possess disassembled hi cap mags.

the handguns are no issues, as long as the mags are under 15 rounds

Shotguns... cannot hold more than 5.???

the ar.... you can have no more than 2 evil features, ie muzzle break, removeable mag, etc. only thing is... the lower cannot say ar-15 because those are banned by name....

same with ak's.... ie cannot be an AK, but can be a saiga, vepr, wasr, etc.

wait for someone else to answer on the specifics of your firearms....

Thanks for the quick reply, Maxim.

Can you tell me whether I will have to have a permit or registration for my firearms when I cross state lines and make residence?

As far as evil features go, NJ appears very similar to CA except that in CA we have the bullet button loophole (an AR/AK is legal if the mag release button requires a tool (tip of a bullet counts as a tool).

Does that sort of magazine lock device on an AR-15 work in NJ or not so much?

I can hardly believe that CA has more lax laws pertaining to shotguns than NJ!

Thanks again.

Thanks for the quick reply, Maxim.

Can you tell me whether I will have to have a permit or registration for my firearms when I cross state lines and make residence?

Nothing is required. You are perfectly fine. They were purchased legally out of state, you're good to go.

That said, buying ammo at brick and mortar stores could be a problem since you're required to show a Purchaser ID for all handgun ammo and some stores have a policy requiring it for all ammo.

The Magazine limit on Semi-auto shotguns is 6 rounds.

Hi everyone. I currently live in San Francisco and am going to be moving to New Jersey to live with my fiance later this year. Welcome. IMO, you are taking the first tiny step to more firearm freedoms.

I'm a bit confused about NJ gun laws and was hoping I could get some specific questions answered. We all are.

1 - When I move to NJ, with firearms that I purchased from an FFL in CA, do I need to declare them or require permits to possess them? No. DO NOT voluntarily register them.

2- Are any of my firearms illegal in NJ? Yes.

- LMT AR-15, 14.5" barrel (Pinned/Welded Flash Hider), LMT SOPMOD stock, Tangodown grip, (Bullet Button to make CA legal). If you keep the button, they are legal. BUT, you may need to prove that in court if some non-educated hard ass has it in for you.

- Noveske AR-15, 16" barrel (AAC Muzzle Break), Magpul UBR stock, Tangodown grip, (Bullet Button to make CA legal). See above or pin the stock and ditch the button.

- Springfield SOCOM II (no mods). Legal.

- Benelli M4 Shotgun (semi-auto) with pistol grip, fixed stock, upgraded to 7 round mag tube. No pistol gripped semi-auto shotguns.

- Glock 19 Legal.

- Springfield 1911 Legal.

3- Is any of the following ammo illegal in NJ? Only armor piercing handgun ammo.

5.56mm Lake City with steel penetrator (M855) No.

9mm Federal Hydra Shock No.

4- Is it legal to possess disassembled Hi Cap mags (I used them when I go shooting out of state)? No.

• Like 1

- Glock 19

- Springfield 1911

9mm Federal Hydra Shock

Render, welcome to the communist republic of NJ...listen to PK90, he CLEARLY knows what he is talking about and is to BE TRUSTED.

That surprises me, You would think if it was legal in CA it would be double legal everywhere else. On the bright side there are a bunch of guns on the California Ban list that are totally legal in New Jersey. :dance:

That surprises me, You would think if it was legal in CA it would be double legal everywhere else. On the bright side there are a bunch of guns on the California Ban list that are totally legal in New Jersey.

I'm really surprised as well.

Your list of banned AWs is much shorter than ours, which is nice, and I do hope that fully decked out ARs with bullet buttons are tolerated in NJ.

I'm especially surprised by the strict shotgun laws in NJ. I thought CA had the most severe but my Benelli M4 with extended mag tube it breaks two NJ laws.

In CA we have a one handgun a month purchase limit but we don't need to ask permission to buy one (I read that's the case in NJ??).

NJ's 15 round cap is a clear winner for handguns, but for long guns its pretty much just as lame as 10 as you can't use affordable standard sized Mags.

I agree with PK90

you are taking the first tiny step to more firearm freedoms.

That surprises me, You would think if it was legal in CA it would be double legal everywhere else. On the bright side there are a bunch of guns on the California Ban list that are totally legal in New Jersey.

I'm really surprised as well.

Your list of banned AWs is much shorter than ours, which is nice, and I do hope that fully decked out ARs with bullet buttons are tolerated in NJ.

I'm especially surprised by the strict shotgun laws in NJ. I thought CA had the most severe but my Benelli M4 with extended mag tube it breaks two NJ laws.

In CA we have a one handgun a month purchase limit but we don't need to ask permission to buy one (I read that's the case in NJ??).

NJ's 15 round cap is a clear winner for handguns, but for long guns its pretty much just as lame as 10 as you can't use affordable standard sized Mags.

I agree with PK90

you are taking the first tiny step to more firearm freedoms.

That should be changing by the Summer. Magpul will be making a P-mag that will be NJ-compliant, and up until now, Pk90 was our source for Converted 20 rounders, which were VERY reasonably priced considering he converted every one by hand.