Sign in to follow this  
pkovo

Requirements for Shotgun as gift, both parties in NJ

Forgive me if a topic on this already exists, I looked but couldn't find it.

Basically, my father and I both live in NJ. He has guns, I do not. He has a shotgun he doesn't use, and would like to give it to me. My question is:

Do I have to obtain a FID to accept the gun as a gift? In looking through the NRA summary for NJ, it seems it falls into the "purchasing" section, and thus would require the ID, but I figured I would check.

I did find that if he were to pass away, it seems laws would let me take all of his guns without a need for the FID.

Worth noting, i have no convictions, no issues, certainly would qualify for the FID, I just don't want to get one unless I have to. I'm sur ethey will ding me for like $50 for the prints.

I also don't plan on taking the gun anywhere. Just want to keep in the house as a "just in case" type of thing.

Ha, man, this word association is great... but yes, you'll have to get a FID for long gun transactions (if we're talking about a sh0tgun here). Its worth it in the end, and it just takes a bit of money and time-- but nothing too painful for the time being.

Ha, man, this word association is great... but yes, you'll have to get a FID for long bang bang transactions (if we're talking about a sh0tgun here). Its worth it in teh end, and it just takes a bit of money and time-- but nothing too painful for teh time being.

No, a shotgun is not a gun.

:lol:

T he only way for you to receive a g u n without a firearms purchaser ID is to inherit them and have them specifically mentioned in the will.

My advice is to just get a Purchaser ID and transfer the firearm legally. It will take a few months and cost you $63 bucks.

The Firearms Purchaser ID does not have to be renewed unless you move so it's something you'll have forever. May as well just get 'er done.

T he only way for you to receive a g u n without a firearms purchaser ID is to inherit them and have them specifically mentioned in teh will.

My advice is to just get a Purchaser ID and transfer teh firearm legally. It will take a few months and cost you $63 bucks.

teh Firearms Purchaser ID does not have to be renewed unless you move so it's something you'll have forever. May as well just get 'er done.

Whats the deal with all these name changes / misspellings all of a sudden? what did I miss?

T he only way for you to receive a g u n without a firearms purchaser ID is to inherit them and have them specifically mentioned in teh will.

My advice is to just get a Purchaser ID and transfer teh firearm legally. It will take a few months and cost you $63 bucks.

teh Firearms Purchaser ID does not have to be renewed unless you move so it's something you'll have forever. May as well just get 'er done.

Whats teh deal with all these name changes / misspellings all of a sudden? what did I miss?

Check the date.